Model Ship Ways Solid Hull Flying Fish

jaybeckham

I am a beginner at ship modeling but an experienced model builder of trains and structures used on model railroads.  I work in O Scale (1:48) in model railroading.

I have an old kit from Model Shipways I purchased many many years ago.  It is solid hull.  I have the complete kit and the optional hardward that was sold separately from the basic model.

I know this is an advanced model but it is the only kit I have.  The rest of the ship models I want to build will be all scratch built.  I figured I should get me feet wet on the Flying Fish.  In future ships I build will not be solid hull.

I was looking for but can't seem to find on the internet any tutorials focused towards solid hulls.  I do have a number of books on ship modeling and there is not too much on that type of hull.  I also downloaded the Model Shipways tutorial but it deals with the newer kits which are not solid hull.

Any advice, other than don''t do it, would be appreciated.

Jay Beckham

I've never done a solid hull, but Model Shipways (Model Expo) allows you to freely download the instructions for their kits in .pdf format.  The solid hull kit "Sultana" has a practicum as well.

Follow this link - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2016

Under the photo's, there are some tabs - click on the "Documents" tab, and you'll find the instructions and practicum chapters.

Good luck!

MSW member Tim I just started a build log on MS Sultana and mentioned he had a practicum from Chuck Passaro.  You might check with Tim and get the details.  Here's the link to his Sultana build:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8579-hms-sultana-dual-build-by-tim-i-model-shipways-scale-164-kit-bash/#entry255722

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

MSW member Tim I just started a build log on MS Sultana and mentioned he had a practicum from Chuck Passaro.  You might check with Tim and get the details.  Here's the link to his Sultana build:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8579-hms-sultana-dual-build-by-tim-i-model-shipways-scale-164-kit-bash/#entry255722

Chuck's practicum is what is available for download on Model Expo's site as well.

Thanks all.

I did get the tutorial about the solid hull from Model Shipways.  I also have the original instructions that came with the kit but they are rather brief on the subject of carving the hull.   It is "rough carved" but I know more work has to be done on it.  My biggest concern is the proper thinning of the bulwark above the deck level.  I understand that can be a bit tricky.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I finally getting ready for this build of the Flying Fish.   My dear wife suggested I not try to carve the solid hull that came with the old kit, but to build it as plank on bulkhead instead.  From the plans I can determine the lines for the bulkheads.  Using my newly acquired laser cutter, I could then cut the bulkheads and even the keel.   What do you all think?

Jay

Jay,

Personally I prefer solid hulls.  My build logs and instructions here on MSW document my practice for carving and then planking the topsides for solid hulls. You can check out the following:

• Plank on Solid ship Model Hulls
  • Maine Topsail Schooner Eagle of 1847 build log
  • Brigantine Newsboy of 1854 build log

image0006.jpg

image0007.jpg

image0009.jpg

image0015.jpg

Edited by Pete Jaquith
Added pictures of "Eagle" & "Newsboy" hull carving

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

You can also use the index here:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think I will follow your advice and plank above the water line and copper below the water line.  I would assume I can use a minimum thickness planking.  Would basswood be suitable and what size?  I am thinking 1/32" X 1/8".  The Model Shipways Flying Fish is 1:96 scale.  So 1/8 gives me a 12 inch plank width.  I don't think I need anything heaver than 1/32 because I am applying the planks to a solid hull.

Jay,

For my 3/16" scale Newsboy I used 3/64"x 1/8" hull planking and 1/32" x 3/32" bulwark planking giving a small step at the plankshear.  You will see in my notes that I recessed the topside by 3/64" to accommodate this.  Either way, I think you will be pleased with the result.

image0012.jpg

image0031.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

The problem with carving solid kit hulls is establishing and maintaining a datum that templates can be registered against.  Like Pete, I enjoy carving hulls but I usually carve two half hulls, port and starboard so that there is always a flat datum, in this case the hull’s centerline to lay against a flat surface when checking progress with templates. 

In in your case you will need to accurately establish the centerline on the roughly carved hull and you will have to be very careful that the templates do not get rotated as you progress down the length of the hull.

Roger

Jay,

Roger makes an important point re datum lines.  In my technique, I secure the hull in the inverted position to a reference board and all profile and station templates use the top surface of this reference board as a common baseline.  This is shown in the above Eagle and Newsboy pictures.

Edited by Pete Jaquith

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder