Kevin

What have you received today?

2,467 posts in this topic

The top-of-the-range Hegner scrollaw is £1699 in the UK.  The most basic one is £359.  Those are Hegner's own retail prices (as of today).  I don't think they tend to give independent retailers much scope to discount their prices, and I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what price you'd have to pay outside the UK.

I got mine (basic version, naturally) about 36 years ago.  I haven't got the paperwork any more, but from memory I probably paid about £350 for it back then.

But it's still good!

Kevin likes this

Kevin, looks like you get a better deal in the UK than we do in the States. Hope the VAT does not make it prohibitive. I am going to have a look at their UK site for accessories. These are great machines that last a lifetime. I think Brian owning one for 36 years is a testament to the quality.

Roman

3 books today:

The Frigate Diana.

The 24-Gun Frigate Pandora

Both from the Anatomy Of The Ship series. Both are in perfect condition, not bad considering they're over 20 years old  :)

Also a copy of Visual Encyclopedia of Nautical Terms Under Sail. No dust jacket but good otherwise (esp. for $1.76 + $3.99 shipping).

This increases my ship books by 75%! All for $44 (US).

More things to keep me inside and out of the bitterly cold weather.

Richard.

Kevin, looks like you get a better deal in the UK than we do in the States. Hope the VAT does not make it prohibitive. I am going to have a look at their UK site for accessories. These are great machines that last a lifetime. I think Brian owning one for 36 years is a testament to the quality.

Roman

Roman that price of £375 is vat and delivery inclusive, lol it is about time we had something in the UK to do with modelling price wise that was better than the USA,  import duties normally destroy any bargain prices, 

Roman that price of £375 is vat and delivery inclusive, lol it is about time we had something in the UK to do with modelling price waise that was better than the USA,  import duties normally destroy any bargain prices, 

I am delighted with their site and ease of use, it is better price than my vendor especially on the base machines and accessories. Very surprised, I know you pay a premium for many things in the UK but this is refreshing. VAT & Shipping included, thats a deal. Thanks for sharing it Kevin.

Best regards

Roman

WackoWolf, mtaylor and Kevin like this

Lets see what I recieved yesterday which I am posting today because yesterday I was at work when I recieved them. :rolleyes: Recieved the book, Sloop of War, 1650-1763, a good addition. New pins for my new solder board which I recieved 4 days ago. Should make holding parts in place a lot easier then the pin's I was using. Thank you Remco. A new pair of nice pointed tweezer, droped my other pair and messed up the points :( and a new pair of Oval head microshear cutters.   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D Gary :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Roman and Kevin like this

Yesterday, a book from a relative titled " Ferro-Cement Boat Construction by Jack R Whitener "

http://www.amazon.com/Ferro-Cement-Boat-Construction-Jack-Whitener/dp/087033140X

interesting concept of building ship hulls from portland cement, though it's recommended now to replace the steel reinforcement with fiberglass reinforcement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocement

Kevin, Roman and mtaylor like this

A new chuck for my drill press.  I had hoped this would fix the wobble introduced by a bad series of events (myself in charge) but unfortunately found this was not the cause.

I now look forward to a couple of bearing packs to hopefully fix the issue.

Mark

P.S.  When you put in a new bit, always check to insure it is centered and inserted correctly prior to inserting it into an already bored hole, clamp everything down tight, then turn the press on (for all of about 1/2 second prior to hitting the stop button).  Bad JuJu.

mtaylor likes this

Scored heavy today. This morning my Bosch router table for my 1617 EVSPK, finally came, and I just got back from picking up my new belt/spindle sander.

post-12186-0-17495800-1416597088_thumb.jpg

Cheers  :cheers:

Roman, avsjerome2003, Kevin and 4 others like this

A new chuck (dirt cheap, from China) for the dirt-cheap flex-shaft attachment of my dirt-cheap non-Dremel.

It didn't fit.

The Dremel 4000/65 is now on my Christmas lust list...

Roman, AON, CaptainSteve and 1 other like this

Funny enough i got a flek shaft for my non dremel and first time i used it the whole thing disappeared over the floor in bits , You get what you pay for !!!!

Roman and probablynot like this

Book today

How to Make Old Time Ship Models by Edward W Hobbs P.A.I.N.A.  3rd edition 1955 (1st Ed 1928, 2nd Ed 1934 )

Cool little book especially on how to make models and parts to scale using only tools available in the early 1900s.  Most the photos in this edition were from the 1928 and 1934 editions.

post-15942-0-92179100-1416927282.jpg

post-15942-0-52115000-1416927294_thumb.jpg

Piet, Roman, avsjerome2003 and 5 others like this

Today I was given 6 empty sonar buoy containers left over from a maritime exercise that was held at my base. I think that they can be turned into a fantastic timber storage system in my workshop.  If not, I have an idea for a tool racking system.  Waste not - want not, as they say.  :) 

Geoff

Roman, CaptainSteve and trippwj like this

not today but couple days ago I got The Gaff Rig Handbook by John Leather.

post-15942-0-71386600-1417789891.jpg

very informative on gaff rigging.  different styles, sail making, rigging by ship, nationality and period, history, standing riggings, rope work, lots of diagrams.  a definite useful book if your struggling with sails and rigging like I am.

Piet and GLakie like this

Excited about this one today.  Model Boat building The Lobster Boat by Steve Rogers and Patrricia Staby-Rogers.

SAM_0519.jpg

Shows how to scratch build a main lobster boat taken from an actual boat.  Beals Island Lobster Boat 1935-1940  by Alvin Beal

Lots of photos of actual boats built from this design as well as the steps while building the boat along with building detailing parts.

SAM_0520.jpg

SAM_0521.jpg

If I ever owned a boat, I always wanted it to be one of these and maybe a small day sailer.  So I think this will be my first scratch build once I get past my kits to build first and get some tools set up for a small shop area.

Speaking of which another addition today.  Finally found a v-pulley for my scroll saw that came today as well.

SAM_0522.jpg

Pricing out motors for the scroll saw it would cost more for  a motor then it would to buy a new scroll saw.  So I'm going to improvise and use at first a high speed drill ( from a yard sale find) until I find an old skill/circular saw from a yard sale that I can strip the motor out of it.

Today I received my Serving Machine, from Alexey Domanoff's workshop in Belarus.
http://www.shipworkshop.com/
A handsome little device.  I've just spent a happy half-hour assembling it.  But the real fun commences when I start doing the rigging on my Enterprise ...

mtaylor, GLakie, Grimber and 4 others like this

I got a book sized package from Sea Watch Books - or I should say my wife got the package.  It quickly disappeared and I was told not to worry about it.

Looking forward to the 25th!

Mark

mtaylor, Roman, WackoWolf and 2 others like this

I too just received Alexey's serving machine. Quick service too. I am waiting on the endless rope attachment which I ordered later and the power option which is apparently coming from China because in Australia we use a 240 volt power source. The unit is good quality and value for money. I also like the fact that the price included shipping as sometimes the shipping costs to Australia is prohibitive. You would think that we lived on the other side of the world or something!!!!

probablynot, GLakie, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Yesterday an iVac Automated Vacuum Switch arrived. It eliminates having to turn on and

off a dust collection system while you are operating power tools. You plug in the vacuum

and power tool to the switch and when you turn the tool on the vacuum turns on. When

you turn the tool off the vacuum continues to run for a few seconds to clear the hose.

post-43-0-24875400-1417970565_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to wait until the 25th to use it!  :angry: 

mtaylor, tasmanian, trippwj and 5 others like this

Couldn't live without mine! Now-a-days, almost every tool you buy has a vac hook-up for it. Very handy! :) An alternative is plugging both tools into a router table with a dual switch.

WackoWolf and Rustyj like this

Today I finished up the fitting and sanding of a couple Gerstner "BIY" chests and could use some opinions on which color stain to use. I have Minwax Golden Pecan and English Chestnut. The latter is what color the bench is that these chests are sitting on. I'm leaning towards the Chestnut, but could use your input.

post-12186-0-48340800-1417979563_thumb.jpgpost-12186-0-70831100-1417979581_thumb.jpg

tasmanian, Kevin, Piet and 7 others like this

Today I finished up the fitting and sanding of a couple Gerstner "BIY" chests and could use some opinions on which color stain to use. I have Minwax Golden Pecan and English Chestnut. The latter is what color the bench is that these chests are sitting on. I'm leaning towards the Chestnut, but could use your input.

Nicely done George, QS White Oak is such a beautiful wood on these cases that it makes it difficult to select a color. Did you line the inside with felt?

Roman

GLakie likes this

I will be Roman. But only after the staining and varnishing because I'll be doing the inside of the facial of the drawers and don't want to get any "goobers" on the green felt.

Roman and WackoWolf like this

George nice tool chest, Im jealous. I love boxes and home made tool chest and parts boxes. I'll buy a set of router bits just to get the wood case they come in.:).

Last weekend I bought  A  CRICUT/ Explore model printer cutter. Its a machine that is usually used by scrpbookers but their new model can cut 1/16th bass aand up to >030 plastic. BILL.

GLakie likes this

George, beautiful chest !  You said it is a "Gerstner BIY" chest, is this a kit or just plans and if plans where did you purchase them.?

GLakie likes this

Hi Bill and Jack: Thanks for your kind words. :) Those chests are actually sold by Gerstner as kits, but even as kits, they're a bit pricey. What I did was wait about 6 months for a sale and got $110 off their normal asking price. Even then they cost $450 with shipping. Keep in mind though, if you want to buy their kits, they're classified as 2nds, which means the wood isn't cut from the same board and the wood grains won't match. Plus the joinery, for the most part, needs a lot of sanding and fitting to make it right. But, overall, for the hundreds you save in buying them already built, I can do a lot of sanding and fitting.  :D I can't say I've heard of the CRICUT machine. Would it be useful for ship modeling?

Jack12477 likes this