Kevin

What have you received today?

8 hours ago, John Allen said:

those of you  that collect and put off building

Although I must admit to being a hoarder it is not because I put off building. It is more like a "When I can get to them" kind of thing. Or for many years it was "When I get a place to put them", (When the kids move out). Now 45 years later I still have kids taking up MY living space!:o Plus my wife has pretty much laid claim to three of our six bedrooms and the kids to two others! I am not allowed to even go into the guest room! When I was trying to recover from my last surgery a couple of years ago and was in too much pain to sleep in my regular bed I was allowed to sleep on the sofa in the living room. So in reality I just spent the night roaming the main floor moaning like a wraith! 

I am presently allowed the end of the dining room table after I added the two leaves so that it will now sit 10-12 people. The last two feet at the end of the table are now mine, except when like now, we have family events planned. Christmas and New years to go and then I will possibly get it back!

8 hours ago, thibaultron said:

Ship of Ghosts:

Thanks Ron

I already have that book both in hard bound and Kindle. (I read many of my books at night in the dark on the Kindle so that it will not bother my wife) I also have at least six or seven more books, (Read above about me being a hoarder) that I have either read or will be reading. If I had yet another room available to me I would be able to take all of my other books out of the boxes they are stored in and probably fill all four walls with books floor to at least six feet up. If I could do that you would probably never get me out of that room. I would feel like a Lord of the Manner with his "Study" and all would have to knock just to come in!

Edited by lmagna

Hello All,

On thee way home from happy hour yesterday afternoon, I received a Merry Christmas wish from a neighbor along the Indian River Lagoon.

Wanting to share this with all of you, I TOOK the following picture.

Here"s wishing all of our MSW members and family on this orb, a happy and healthy holiday.

Pythagoras (Tom)

Christmasboat.jpg

After much researching, debating about whether or not I needed one, much scrounging for finances to afford it, finally placing the order, and then an extended order time, this finally arrived late yesterday afternoon!  56 pounds of sporty looking fun on wheels.  All it needs now is some racing stripes!

100_5023.thumb.JPG.11407e60871429bf60b5035940b83b8f.JPG

Hopefully this baby will take some of the wear and tear off of my arms and shoulders.  Still in the process of reading the manual and finding some unusual cautions concerning its operation.  Such as:

Do not use the wheelchair on any stairs or the escalator. :huh:

or:

If the user wants to move the electric wheelchair between

floors by stairs, the assistant should note the following:

- the user must get off the electric wheelchair.  :o:blink:

or even:

1. When driving in reverse, keep an eye on what's behind

you and make sure the path is clear.  :stunned:

or my favorite:

- Do not use the ELECTRA 7 HD when you are taking a 

shower, sauna, or swimming.  :omg:  

These cautions were  taken word for word from the manual! (no kidding!) I'm thinking that anyone dumb enough to need to be cautioned not to do such stupid things should not be allowed to be driving the thing in the first place.  (By the way, exactly how would someone swim while seated in a wheelchair anyway?)

Some of those warnings are there probably because they HAVE been done at some time or another! Kind of like the Farmers auto insurance commercial, "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two"

The swimming one was probably because someone drove theirs into the water so they could float off like launching a boat from a trailer!  

Perhaps the warning on the chair are partly due to the Darwin Awards clip from a couple of years ago where a bloke in an electric wheelchair approached a lift (elevator to those in the U.S.) where the doors were closed.  He was obviously very annoyed to be kept waiting and kept ramming the doors with his chair to force them open.  Eventually he did manage to force them open and plunged down the lift shaft still in his chair!!! 😲

WARNING: Do not plunge down lift shaft in wheelchair.

John

One day in the '90's, one of my mowing crews experienced a tragic accident. An operator of a large tractor with a bush hog mower struck a large wooden post in the road right-of-way while mowing the roadside. The post didn't stop the powerful diesel tractor, rather the large lugged right rear tire climbed and rolled right over it, raising the right rear side of the tractor several feet as the operator slid off his seat with his left leg landing on the ground.

The tractor's left rear tire pulled him under the tractor while the mowing deck cut off both of his legs.

"Operator Must Wear Seat Belts at All Times While Operating This Equipment" warning placards were pasted all over the cab area of the tractor, but sadly the operator ignored the directive and lost his legs because of it.

Enter the lawyers afterward...the company could not produce written records proving every operator had received formal training on the use of seat belts, nor produce written records showing that supervisors had taken disciplinary action consistently against operators who failed to wear seat belts in the past.

Result? We paid out a near $500,000 settlement to the operator and his lawyers.

I had to hit the like because I have seen so many cases of the same kind of mentality while I was working for the city. The attorney and it appears the judges as well look at cities and counties as just a source of deep pockets.

4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I had to hit the like because I have seen so many cases of the same kind of mentality while I was working for the city. The attorney and it appears the judges as well look at cities and counties as just a source of deep pockets.

Yes, and lawyers know exactly how much liability each government entity are statutorily obligated to as a maximum. Plus they know government entities will almost always settle out of court, even when there is a good chance a verdict would go in their favor.

There is not much political incentive to fight a suit like that.

Not today, but recently,  I have a 10" Ryobi 3000 - apparently obsolete but it works,  but I bought this to try on my Byrnes table saw:

1738711852_Grrripper.jpg.b896534b659c9b67ee56652ed4ae48c7.jpg

GRR-RIPPER  hold down save your fimgers-  with the 1/8" side spacer and the tail dragger attachments.

1:32 FE.2b

WW1 British Fighter/Bomber

by Wingnut Wings

DSCN1894.thumb.jpg.271fefa64c6970cb6c6ce6f8c70d820c.jpg

Wingnut Wings kits are incredibly well detailed and complete. The instruction manuals are as good/better than any other plastic kits on the market. Printed in full color, they provide loads of detail photos so the builder need not invest in lots of reference books to have a working knowledge of the subjects. Here are a couple of examples showing the Beardmore engine that powered this aircraft and two of the five decal options that are provided in the kit. While the kits are not cheap, I think they provide great value for the dollar considering everything that's included. I have learned they produce these model kits in limited quantities. Once they are sold, that's it. I have not yet seen them re-release out of production kits, so you have to grab a copy while you can or be prepared to pay a premium price on Ebay or the likes.DSCN1895.thumb.jpg.a50bc9c649e553973e901f0fc8d533e2.jpgDSCN1896.thumb.jpg.615fc00301a34e46a1a3ecb65fb3ab66.jpg

Hi CDW

Just looked at Wingnut Wings' website, and was surprised to see the company is owned by Peter Jackson. As in Sir Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame. No wonder the pictures and instructions are so good! I'm very tempted to stray from wood to plastic, at least for a short while.

Derek

22 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

After much researching, debating about whether or not I needed one, much scrounging for finances to afford it, finally placing the order, and then an extended order time, this finally arrived late yesterday afternoon!  56 pounds of sporty looking fun on wheels.  All it needs now is some racing stripes!

100_5023.thumb.JPG.11407e60871429bf60b5035940b83b8f.JPG Paint some flames on it Dave!

Had a package in the mailbox today.

Sender: Bluejacket Inc.

Containing cloth three various style for sail and three rolls of ionized black wire.

My first order from them, three day usps.

Will be perfect for Bluenose.20181206_213247.thumb.jpg.c0f3d9a5772f2ff1988946589800301f.jpg

CDW,  Have you used HGW decals before?  I had some Plywood squares for a project.  They are very fragile.  Fell apart in very small pieces when wet.

Had to get some Testors Decal Bonding Spray,  (No. 9200),  and give them three coats so they would hold up.

Hope This Helps

Bob W 

I received.... The Modern Internet!!!!

internet has been super crappy lately even for me best speeds maybe 15/1.5Mbps (middle of night only one device etc). Went to Spectrum to see what we could do.... They said and I quote "that modem should be in a museum. time warner hasn't made that model in 10 years I cant believe it actually still works"... So got new modem and router and BAM!!!! 463/25!!!!  (Also some billing snafu when time warner was bought by Spectrum so we were paying 60$ a month more than we should have...Doh!!!)

This may not be the best out there but it is so fast compared to what I had before it's amazing.

Edited by MEDDO

I can imagine you are exstatic. I'm still at max 10 mbps ... no fiber in my neck of the woods, and cable is far to expensive, as I am forced to take tv and a land line (telephone) to get it

8 hours ago, oneslim said:

CDW,  Have you used HGW decals before?  I had some Plywood squares for a project.  They are very fragile.  Fell apart in very small pieces when wet.

Had to get some Testors Decal Bonding Spray,  (No. 9200),  and give them three coats so they would hold up.

Hope This Helps

Bob W 

Thanks for the heads up on the decals. This will be my first time using them.

Hopefully it is local enough so you can keep going back when you have the money and get as many of the others as possible one or two at a time.

Nice work, are you going to be able to frame it?

Edited by lmagna