Kevin

What have you received today?

Legion, congrats on the granddaughter

E.J., why didn't you lower the table ............. I think I would have gone for a desk which I could raise and lower by the press of a button as MikeY did ...

2 hours ago, cog said:

Legion, congrats on the granddaughter

E.J., why didn't you lower the table ............. I think I would have gone for a desk which I could raise and lower by the press of a button as MikeY did ...

I got these two for my workshop some time ago. Best two items to add to my workshop furniture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D71MP5J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3P0K1M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought of lowering the table many times over the years. (Been using this set up for nearly 20 years now) The table, which is an old closet door, rests on top of a few cabinets. Those cabinets have a massive amount of valuable storage space that I would hate to lose. Also, the space underneath the table is a great area for extra model kits and is where I keep my large power tools when not in use , jig saw, lathe etc., as well as my vacuum for saw dust. I can simply pull the hose out and flick the power switch with my foot when needed. The space has also allowed me to set up hooks for many smaller tools that need power. I ran power strips on either side of my seat and I have spaces for my plank bender, soldering iron, heat guns and dremel  to hang as well as other tools like jeweler's saws, rulers and stencils. Plus, when I want and or need to stand to work on something, I do not have to bend as far over. The benefits of the taller table have far outweighed the drawbacks and the chair I was using has worked fine but, this one does make life a little nicer. :)

I got my order from Syren today.  Ordered it Tuesday and arrived here on the west coast to my door about 30 minutes ago.   Beautiful AYC which I'll be using for my ship's boats and other bits.

Not today, but a few weeks ago I received my first 3D Printer. Just a small one but it works perfect!

2146679832_Drucker001.thumb.JPG.360e6d2174b61a10178a2840b1d23821.JPG

I printed the first test parts, and then I started real things. This is the small crane for the emergency tug NORDIC, measured 1:50

1414959487_MOBKranAusleger001f.thumb.JPG.ed798301b0fcc77de3cb14f79cbaef62.JPG

And the large one

61546365_008Krankomplett.thumb.JPG.f3873efc1df0af57e2eb920c29f3e07f.JPG

All the parts are drawn with DesignCad3D, which is the best Software for such things as I expect!

Currently printing the Zodiac boat for the NORDIC too, and much more parts to make..............

Best regards

Gerhard

Sketchup is for free, DesignCad has a price from around $100, but its worth every cent of it. I`m working with that since about 10 years, started with Version 16, now on V 24. Here is a screenshot from a part of the smaller crane

2104489382_MOBKranUnterteil002a.thumb.JPG.988d1bdf542f28697ba57990e1f4f639.JPG

That part is just 12mm high when printed!

573550075_MOBKranUnterteil002b.thumb.JPG.f5e3d90c0dfe8dd1d45a5c466c3e1c97.JPG

This was one of the test prints I`ve made, the real model was printed from white PLA

Regards

Gerhard

Posted (edited)

"The TurboCAD Design Group is owned and operated by IMSI/Design, the global leader in retail CAD (Computer Aided Design) and home design desktop software, and a pioneer in mobile solutions for the AEC (Architectural, Engineering, and Construction) industry."

That doesn't mean they are the best, I have been working with SketchUp ever since it came out. Easy to learn. 

Edited by Nirvana

7 hours ago, Peter Bloemendaal said:

Look what arrived in the mail today. I am looking forward in joining the Confederacy club once I finish the Syren (So much fun, so little time...lol).

Peter

Confederacy.jpg

Peter, I have that lady waiting to be built as well. The package is heavy!

On 1/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, probablynot said:

I've got some of those.  Ought to throw them out really.  The screw parts flop about in their short length of thread and they're awfully imprecise.  Oh well, maybe yours will be better!

I see now what you mean Brian. I think they will hold things together but the potential for great frustration is there. There is a shortage of miniature clamps on the market though.

It seems they are like most cheap things, you need to fiddle with them to make them functional.

Yesterday I purchased the rest of the insulation (33 - 93" long pieces) I need to complete the shop renovation, as well as various other materials to finish that area. Should be done in the next month or so, then back to ship building!

I just got back from four days in Door County to find several orders arrived in the mail for the Wanderer

Two cans of Tamiya TS-80 spray fixative and two spray can guns. (I don't have enough strength in my fingers to use the can with one finger alone, so now I can use four instead.) 

One can of Testors Copper spray paint for the copper plates on the hull. 

Two 1.8 mm flickering orange LEDs with extra wire, a switch with a 3V coin cell battery holder and some shrink wrap for the lower deck lighting system. 

My wife also found a used hair dryer for me from her salon, so now covering the wood portion of the hull with the vinyl foils can be started in earnest.  

Can't beat getting all this for only about $40 including delivery and tax!

100_5129.thumb.JPG.b2bb835d034bbb9f027cec20d1510494.JPG

9 minutes ago, Ulises Victoria said:

A brand new, hand-made in Mexico, pure leather 2mm (5/64) thick apron. I paid the equivalent of 85 dlls for it :)

IMG_0175.JPG.4b6c0194baa3f8558b5d6674213b2cd0.JPG

Beautiful!

I am slipping deeper into the tool collectors abyss!

Bought an older model Proxxon FKS/E table saw and IB/E rotary tool for the equivalent of USD180.

Saw came with 3 spare blades and the rotary tool includes a mini router table, router attachment and 10 router bits.

...and to sweeten the deal the guy threw in 6 high quality Eclipse toolmakers's clamps!(worth their weight in gold in my humble opinion)

1684885192_697B2453(1024x683).jpg.95db18252bc3a7130762884d9efa11e7.jpg

1580331601_697B2458(1024x683).jpg.5b74c669e7f506877eb63a79d68e22cd.jpg