Kevin

What have you received today?

Derek, In my opinion you cant beat the Otter Boxes. I was sold when Better Half came home one day and said one of her photographers drop his phone and a fire truck ran it over. The screen was damaged but once that was replaced the phone functioned normally.

Sam

20 rolls of "Washi" masking tape from Ebay.

I didn't take a picture because after all, it's just masking tape.

Why post about Washi masking tape here, you may ask?

Because this tape is on a quality par with Tamiya masking tape at just a fraction of the cost. Washi tape is mostly used in scrap booking and other paper crafting projects, however, it displays most all of the same qualities that make Tamiya tapes so popular with modelers. 

I bought 20 rolls of Washi tape for a mere $5.79, shipped to my door. Compare that with what 20 rolls of Tamiya tape would cost and the cost savings is HUGE.

Take the time to look for it on Ebay from the various sellers who are selling Washi tape. You won't be sorry you did.

Hey howya goin all, got this on friday a proxxon wood lathe and a 3 jaw chuck was going to get the 4 jaw as well but heard it was made out of plastic so if anyone knows of an aftermarket 4 jaw chuck that is made of metal that fits the proxxon micro DB 250 lathe can you let me know. Also got an extension base coming from texxn5 at http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/ who is a sponsors of MSW, not cheat but I wanted one. Also got a brawplate from texxn5 coming to.

Thanks Eddie

Lathe 001.JPG

Lathe 002.JPG

Went down to Florida this weekend on family business and this managed to find it's way into the car. Jim is a very nice and quite man. Showed us around his shop. Some of the model shops I've seen on this forum are larger than were Jim makes his machines. The back room had over 20 machines ready to ship our this next week alone. He is a busy man.

20170318_183958.thumb.jpg.7baffa4b5f566b29c5cac236bffef832.jpg

Now I can make what ever size strips I need.

Mark

I got a really good deal on a new "model shipbuilding tool" and supplies!

IMG_0988.jpg.d35904967d8727502e291f1e2390530b.jpg

and some Swiss Pear, Alaska Yellow Cedar and Jatoba wood

dIMG_0980.jpg.f072873a687a213ef0e60927c05c7519.jpgIMG_0981.jpg.c143583ae4231a37656f00ffc23a983d.jpgIMG_0982.jpg.13a983947263bd029fc92d713c3add5c.jpg

Some work to do before I can use the wood though.

Doug,

Building an oversized model ship, looking at the "table" saw ;) However, your planks look a bit short for that ;) Nice find though, wuldn't mind finding one meself

EJ_L, Canute, Nirvana and 5 others like this

The deal came it 2 parts.  The local hardware outlet had a 1 day 15% off. I went to buy a less expensive saw but they couldn't find the two they were supposed to have in stock.  The manager was so embarrassed that when I pointed to the deWalt and said well how about that one at the same price he actually went for it.  Ended up getting it for slightly over $200 off.   I'm a happy customer so I guess they'll get it back in repeat business and goodwill.

Doug, that's one heck of a deal for the DeWalt saw.  I would also be curious to hear your opinion of the Byrnes Model Machines as well.  Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll have to bring a supply of wood, run up to your place and machine them down to size ;)

mtaylor, thibaultron, EJ_L and 3 others like this

1st impressions are very positive.  As many have said here the machines are very nicely built they exude quality in the parts and the finishing.  I've only run a bit of scrap swiss pear through the saw and thickness sander.  I can't believe the difference between a strip of basswood and a strip of swiss pear!  I don't know if I can ever use basswood again (I exaggerate of course).  My wood budget will have to be increased.

IMG_1049.jpg.e589268d77b51c0d8a02855f3da62828.jpg

My next challenge is finding somewhere to work! Plus 1 celsius is ok for 15 or 20 minutes but when it rains tomorrow then I'm really out of luck.  

If you come wait 'til warmer weather - but not black fly season - the other reason I get driven indoors!

thibaultron, src, Chasseur and 7 others like this

I got today from https://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/31-monographie-de-la-chaloupe-armee-en-guerre-1834.html Armed LongBoat 1834, scale 1/36 POF comes with 6 A3 size plans and book which you can order in english and the sail plans which come with 3 A3 size plans and a sheet of instruction to buy the sail plans here http://gerard.delacroix.pagesperso-orange.fr/Chaloupe_greement/plaquette.htm you have to order the sail plans separately they only come in French will have to use google translate to translate them 

Hopefuly will be building this not to far in the future just saving some money to buy a scroll saw but keep spending the money on other tools.

Why OH Why did someone invent this thing called a hobby I spend so much money on it /cry, but love doing it HAHAHA.

Armed LongBoat Plans 001.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 002.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 003.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 004.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 005.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 006.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 007.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 008.JPG

Armed LongBoat Plans 009.JPG

cog, thibaultron, MEDDO and 18 others like this

Took Better Half to Ojai for her birthday this weekend and found these in an antique store. The price was right on both so I grabbed them.

The first is this book, The Great Age of Sail. I dont know how accurate it is, perhaps some of the more experienced will have something to say. There are some cool pull out pages as well as several prints that have been loosely attached as of the publishers intended for them to be removed and mounted. There as also some diagrams that explain how various items such as cannon and mortars were brought aboard and securing cannon in heavy seas:

Age-of-sail-book.thumb.jpg.c75f5986bc6bfd5d9f64612d37f2da16.jpg

Age-of-Sail-fold-out.thumb.jpg.b2b175b764a064c95cb6f909dfc14d54.jpg

Then there were these type setting quoins.  https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1281182

l I dont see a ship modeling use at the moment, but there have been many times at work I have had to secure an item to my work bench and have resorted to opposing wedges made on the spot from hard wood. These could be just the ticket in the future. If not I have temporally satiated my "Shiny Kit Syndrome" for the moment.:dancetl6:

type-quoins.thumb.jpg.5e9a7d0a726b6dde514e47234e02af4b.jpg

Sam

Omega1234, mtaylor, Canute and 5 others like this

Purchased a Markatt nail machine based on the suggestion of (Master Carver Gaetan Bordeleau) fantastic 30,000 rpm absolutely no vibration extremely light, has a foot pedal, reverse, changing and locking bits super easy thanks Gaetan!

A dremel micro mini 18 I debated a long time over this one, glad I purchased extremely light, and the lighted end is great.

Finally a stropping block, 8" x 2" x 4" rough leather 3 sides and a tanned smooth side big enought to use in hand and small enough to hone micro tools.

DSCN2293.JPG

DSCN2294.JPG

DSCN2291.JPG

DSCN2295.JPG

Finally got tired of tedious dust cleanups and ordered a pretty compact and very silent vacuum - Bosch GL-40 ProSilence. Real shop vacs are not an option for me - they are ungodly loud. I didn't know that modern vacs could be that quiet. 

It turned out to be very powerful and, at the same time, super quiet! When I connect it to my machines, the air flow itself is typically louder then the vac. Also fits Proxxon dust ports without any duct tape or adapters :) And even the lowest speed (that you can easily use while talking on the phone - it is that quiet) - it sucks pretty well for the table cleanup or smth like that.

After using the disk sander with the vac - I wonder what took me so long to buy it...

Now my wife makes fun of me for having three different vacs in one apartment (electrolux ergorapido in the kitchen for some quick cleanup, roomba for a proper weekly cleaning and now this one for my tools).

Foto 2017-03-31 21 01 42.jpg

src, donrobinson, mtaylor and 9 others like this

Ugh? I bought it in Sweden for 160 USD (1500 SEK): http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Dammsugare-Bosch-GL-40-ProSilence-BGL4SIL69D/44-1868

It is not a super cheap vac, but it is definitely not THAT fancy :)

Apparently, Bosch website do not offer any vacuum cleaners if you switch the region to US. Maybe it is sold under some different brand, who knows. And it is probably not the only silent vacuum available in the market nowadays. I didn't know that modern home vacs could be so quiet, most probably you can easily find something similar if looking for something with the "silence" or "quiet" in the name. This one specs 69db noise level, though it is probably on the max speed, and you really do not need the max speed most of the time.

18 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

For the workshop I am intending getting this Festool workshop vacuum and it also runs at 69db. Priced at USD 375.00

Per,

I got that one for my larger tools, it is, however, rather noisy. What I do like about it, is the power inlet on it with which you can turn it on when you startup your 'appliance'

Canute, EJ_L, mtaylor and 4 others like this