Kevin

What have you received today?

Received this today.  My last Dremel broke.  I saw this cordless one with spare battery and decided to get the flex shaft as well.  Hopefully the flex shaft will come in handy, lighter than holding the tool itself.

20171012_183757_resized.thumb.jpg.ce001abf8e0fda31255cb98e03f1fc9f.jpg20171012_183807_resized.thumb.jpg.dc9f7456a4eb4e3e0cb4102c45cca992.jpg

Nice the cordless version, Ive got the wired one (Dremel 2000) you'll enjoy that flexible shaft. I changed the head so I do not need to switch those "grips" for every different size drill or other bit's shaft

Later you might want to add the Dremel Micro1850 cordless. I almost didn't purchase due to a built in battery. Love this tool I use more then my other Dremels and flex shaft. Holds a charge, I do pop it in the charger as I use it instead of laying it down. Extremely light and small cannot brag enough about its capablities of heavy duty cutting and sanding. 

WP_20171015_11_07_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.f7717a924577f8f84db22987151130db.jpg

Received this gem two weeks ago, but forgot to post it...

The plan set is of an amazing quality, 32 sheets plus the book and jacket. If you want to built a beautiful ship in an rather big scale (1/36), then L' Amarante is definitely worth a look :) 

And it comes with top notch customer service, I got it within 6 days after ordering.

mtaylor, Derek C, MEDDO and 9 others like this

3 hours ago, Bava said:

WP_20171015_11_07_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.f7717a924577f8f84db22987151130db.jpg

Received this gem two weeks ago, but forgot to post it...

The plan set is of an amazing quality, 32 sheets plus the book and jacket. If you want to built a beautiful ship in an rather big scale (1/36), then L' Amarante is definitely worth a look :) 

And it comes with top notch customer service, I got it within 6 days after ordering.

Definitely love the look of the ship.  User giampieroricci has a true masterpiece in the scratch build section. 

Canute, mtaylor, Haliburton and 3 others like this

Fellow member Pythagoras and I took a trip down to Model Expo and I picked up a couple of things. I really need to start a go fund me page a couple of weeks before my next trip down there.

20171016_175307.thumb.jpg.f01af259b9f32d0d6a7f3e821d00c031.jpg

20171016_175342.thumb.jpg.d5e6b368f19605226f450959c67f422b.jpg

The two kits are plank on frame life boats to replace the cast metal ones that came with my AL Bluenose which I will be putting on the work bench this week.

We recently moved so now I have moved my shipyard to a detached single garage. There is no ceiling though, no insulation and an up and over non insulated door. With the British weather very near, I looked into heating the place.

I got a couple of quotes to install a ceiling in the roof and they were around £2000. Adding a new door etc the cost would be very high. However, as I now can work for very short periods and rather infrequently, it does not make sense to go down this road. Better to just heat the place taking on the losses.

I thought of just getting many electric heaters but there is not enough power supply in the garage. So I got a Butane gas heater which should heat the place very quickly despite the lack of insulation.

20171019_080933.thumb.jpg.5e7e85ff220eb96353864c83678b9691.jpg

With all the combustibles and chemicals though, precautions are needed. So I got a foam and a CO2 extinguisher, as well as a fire blanket.

20171019_071752.thumb.jpg.55f9a8f93049750fec2f383811bf376a.jpg

Another concern is a possible oxygen depletion and CO poisoning. The heater has a low oxygen sensor and I got also a CO detector.

20171019_071803.thumb.jpg.b75b8ac750c8888d9133490395b7a1df.jpg

The heater is very good quality and Calor sells it as a package with a 15 Kg bottle for just £100 which is a very good deal. Excellent customer service as well. I think now even in low temperatures I could pop in and work my weekly one hour allowance!

Edited by vaddoc

On 10/14/2017 at 6:49 AM, John Allen said:

Later you might want to add the Dremel Micro1850 cordless. I almost didn't purchase due to a built in battery. Love this tool I use more then my other Dremels and flex shaft. Holds a charge, I do pop it in the charger as I use it instead of laying it down. Extremely light and small cannot brag enough about its capablities of heavy duty cutting and sanding. 

Hi John,

You really seem to like the Dremei Micro.  I think I bought my Dremel when I was teenager, which definitely makes it a bona fife antique.  The bearing have finally started to go and I’ll need to replace it.  My biggest problem with the tool is that it is rediculously noisey.  How’s loud is the Micro.  Thanks.

best,

John

John,

Dremel micro is kind of noisy in my opinion and has a lot of vibrations. 

This is my third as the previous two was under recall from Robert Bosch.

But otherwise it is a good machine,

Waiting for the day when they are coming out with a better one.

I also have a corded version that I  hardly use.

Edited by Nirvana

Are we talking about the same Dremel Micro? Model 8050? Mine is pretty quiet comparing to a corded version, and vibrations are pretty low. But I am not doing anything heavy though, using a corded version when I need power (aggressive sanding, for example). The mini version is perfect for light tasks where precision is important - drilling, cutting, light sanding. It is used 80% of the time, with corded version collecting dust. The battery capacity is impressive as well - I charge it roughly once per month.

After the last time my wife said no way am I using her hair dryer anymore for bending planks.  So instead of getting a nice little hair dryer I had to do the only logical thing and came home with this....

IMG_4299.jpg.76e9db5f1b4d3d595f63702dd3e48775.jpg

Uhhh it gets real hot.  Almost set my hand on fire trying it out :o

mtaylor, donrobinson, EJ_L and 4 others like this

While working on the rigging for my Bluenose build, I've started prepping the workbench for the next build...restocking supplies, etc.  My MicroMark table saw died while making some jewelry displays for my wife, so she agreed to let me buy a Byrnes table saw to replace it.  Night and day difference from the MircroMark saw.  This thing feels solid and precise.  I went with the extended fence and a micro meter.

I also pulled the trigger on upgrading my mill.  I've been using a Proxxon MF70 for the last year.  I originally went with the Proxxon because I wasn't sure how much I'd use it, and I wanted to try doing a CNC conversion on it, so going with something less expensive made sense.  I've ended up using the mill a TON, so I took the plunge and upgraded to a Sherline 5410 with DRO (Package A).  The Sherline will be my general purpose manual mill, handling the bulk of the work, and the Proxxon will be converted to CNC for 'playing around'.  (I got the controllers and motors working last year for the Proxxon CNC conversion, but held off on mounting the motors to the mill because once you do, you can't manually control it with the hand wheels).

I wasn't going to get the Sherline for a few more months, but I was following Thistle17's thread about mills and couldn't help myself.  If my wife asks why I had to buy another mill now, I'm blaming Thistle17.  :)  Still need to pick up a rotary table for the mill...I was waiting to see if the rotary vise from my Proxxon would fit on the Sherline (it doesn't).

P1080142.thumb.jpg.8e22a64084129d0cb8c3615c003249a0.jpg

Both machines arrived within a day of each other, and I feel like my shop just took a major leap forward.   Now I just have to learn how to use the Sherline properly, figure out all the bits and pieces, and rework my 'wood shop in a closet' to have room for the new tools.

Canute, Nirvana, EJ_L and 7 others like this

Kurt,

The t-slots on the Sherline are closer together than on the Proxxon, so I can only get one bolt in to secure the Proxxon's rotary vise (and I think I'd need two to ensure its square).  The Sherline only has two t-slots on the included table, so I could probably solve this with a tooling plate for the Sherline (which has 3 t-slots), but at this point I think I'd rather just invest in the Sherline rotary table and a tilting table since those are MUCH more versatile.

donrobinson, Canute, EJ_L and 3 others like this