Kevin

What have you received today?

the admiral was browsing 'round some of the local yard sales on her phone today,   and she saw that someone was offering a Revell 1:96 Constitution for $15.00.   I asked if they were crazy,  so she showed it to me.   I {of course} flipped!    she contacted the person and asked about it........after finding out that .....yes,  this ain't no typo.........she was told that they had a couple of other models for $5.00 each.   making the deal of the century,  we met the lady at a local bowling alley.  I have wanted a Revell Connie to accompany the United States,  once I got back to working on her........I want to scratch built the galley parts for the United States,  since the part are omitted.   now I have the parts to get the proper measurements  ;)    so....I got the Connie,  and two plane kits :) 

Connie.jpg.a7da3b2319a1956f66941c236c25fca2.jpg

5a02309618385_HE111andP47combo.jpg.255bc1b22c22982e98b5e70db549b183.jpg

I haven't had the chance to look for the mold date on the Connie yet.......from what the lady told me,  it sounds like the second production.   I'll be tickled to find that the date is 1959........second production was 1975.  the plane kits are from the mid to late 90's.

Tom E, Canute, tasmanian and 11 others like this

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the admiral was browsing 'round some of the local yard sales on her phone today,   and she saw that someone was offering a Revell 1:96 Constitution for $15.00.   I asked if they were crazy,  so she showed it to me.   I {of course} flipped!    she contacted the person and asked about it........after finding out that .....yes,  this ain't no typo.........she was told that they had a couple of other models for $5.00 each.   making the deal of the century,  we met the lady at a local bowling alley.  I have wanted a Revell Connie to accompany the United States,  once I got back to working on her........I want to scratch built the galley parts for the United States,  since the part are omitted.   now I have the parts to get the proper measurements  ;)    so....I got the Connie,  and two plane kits :) 

Connie.jpg.a7da3b2319a1956f66941c236c25fca2.jpg

5a02309618385_HE111andP47combo.jpg.255bc1b22c22982e98b5e70db549b183.jpg

I haven't had the chance to look for the mold date on the Connie yet.......from what the lady told me,  it sounds like the second production.   I'll be tickled to find that the date is 1959........second production was 1975.  the plane kits are from the mid to late 90's.

Well done, Denis!  You may need to be extra nice to the Admiral for the next week, or two!

Cheers

Patrick

EJ_L, tasmanian, mtaylor and 4 others like this

It is " Sinterklaas "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

He comes in the night between 5 and 6 December. With gifts, oranges and chocolate for the children.
No child has ever seen him at work... (But it are their parents that get up at night and place the presents in the house).

When you are older (like me)you can buy the chocolate yourself befor 6 December ;)

cog, Omega1234, Canute and 7 others like this

I have just started collecting items for rigging .i want to try and get a bit of everything .Never no what one might get into . So today I received my first bit of goodies from Chuck at Syren.BAC8F6FB-86BB-4F97-9C24-E6AFFA6D0889.thumb.jpeg.34f2275493eabf356f8b417c289db529.jpegA5C0FD8C-CE73-459C-8502-63936C606382.thumb.jpeg.500b3e479b88c19806431cd6646d33d8.jpeg

Jack12477, Nirvana, Tom E and 10 others like this

On 10/16/2017 at 4:20 PM, Osmosis said:

Fellow member Pythagoras and I took a trip down to Model Expo and I picked up a couple of things. I really need to start a go fund me page a couple of weeks before my next trip down there.

20171016_175307.thumb.jpg.f01af259b9f32d0d6a7f3e821d00c031.jpg

20171016_175342.thumb.jpg.d5e6b368f19605226f450959c67f422b.jpg

The two kits are plank on frame life boats to replace the cast metal ones that came with my AL Bluenose which I will be putting on the work bench this week.

I see you bought a small boat kit. Those frames are very delicate. Make sure you harden them with CA prior to building. I also found that using syrene plastic Strips is much easier and much less frustrating than trying to get that bend in wood. I have launched two of them into the wall. 😱Good thing they are cheap

EJ_L, Nirvana, thibaultron and 5 others like this

While browsing Amazon I ran into this book.  I had not seen it before and the price $10.37 new was too good to be true.  Little bit of history, artwork, models, plans and other goodies in there.  

IMG_4361.thumb.jpg.a4d483f13039aceec3944b5ee9347df0.jpg

Nirvana, Omega1234, mtaylor and 4 others like this

Last month I joined the Northwest Indiana Woodworkers Association and when I introduced myself to the 60 members, I mentioned that I built ships. I went on to say that if anyone has cut offs of any type of wood that I would take it. 

Yesterday, there was another meeting and while getting out of my car a member beckons me to come over to his car, he opens his trunk, and says "take anything you want and if you come to my shop I have lots more". 

I got several sheets of 1'x 6' cherry and oak veneer. 20 boards of 6"x24" basswood each in 1/2, 1/4, 3/8, 1/8 thickness. 10 pieces of Balsa 3" x 3" x 36" in various thicknesses. (balsa comes in three thicknesses). 

This member is a cabinet maker and he does a lot of work so lots of wood. I am going to his shop next week to pick anything I want. He also has all kinds of wire in various gauges.  

Other members asked yesterday what I use and they will be bringing it to the December meeting. 

My wood supply is secured. Some of the members have offered to rip wood to any size I want. 

I am a very happy camper. 

Marcus 

This is the second shipment I received from Model Expo.  It arrived in 5 days.  My first shipment left Miami November 8th (the second time it was shipped.  The first first shipment left October 24th and was returned November 7th due to a slight error in the ship to address).  I wanted to build the Naval Smoothbore Guns of History but I'll start with the Carronade.

20171117_175748_resized.thumb.jpg.85b4d36d4c7dbdb552cdb869b0f702d2.jpg20171117_175828_resized.thumb.jpg.cefeaf31fcb52709486ed3117ffb6040.jpg20171117_175836_resized.thumb.jpg.5aa72d204c1e5937f59621b114f9ed38.jpg

4 hours ago, reklein said:

I  recieved this new shipmate about a week ago. He's now working as first dog on the USS Burrell dr. He's a shetland sheep dog also known as Sheltie.

That is the sweetest shipmate I've seen in awhile Bill.  He has that same facial expression that our Yorkie when on my lap.  

EJ_L, reklein, thibaultron and 3 others like this

2 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

Last month I joined the Northwest Indiana Woodworkers Association and when I introduced myself to the 60 members, I mentioned that I built ships. I went on to say that if anyone has cut offs of any type of wood that I would take it. 

Yesterday, there was another meeting and while getting out of my car a member beckons me to come over to his car, he opens his trunk, and says "take anything you want and if you come to my shop I have lots more". 

I got several sheets of 1'x 6' cherry and oak veneer. 20 boards of 6"x24" basswood each in 1/2, 1/4, 3/8, 1/8 thickness. 10 pieces of Balsa 3" x 3" x 36" in various thicknesses. (balsa comes in three thicknesses). 

This member is a cabinet maker and he does a lot of work so lots of wood. I am going to his shop next week to pick anything I want. He also has all kinds of wire in various gauges.  

Other members asked yesterday what I use and they will be bringing it to the December meeting. 

My wood supply is secured. Some of the members have offered to rip wood to any size I want. 

I am a very happy camper. 

Marcus 

That is so funny,

There is a cabinet/molding shop right around the corner from my work so I stopped in there just to look around. I also mentioned that I build ships and the owner immediately took me out back to the "Scrap Pile" and told me to help myself to as much as I wanted. I found some very nice sections of walnut veneer and some 6' long 1x1 walnut I am going to re-saw this weekend for my gun carriage on the smooth bore kit from model shipways. He told me I could come by and root around when ever I want.

Very nice people those cabinet makers.

It finally showed up. My shipment one month in the making.

20171120_201730_resized.thumb.jpg.27bfaee792e45439d4a28bf3a1635163.jpg

20171120_201758_resized.thumb.jpg.613b1888e339b8e443e9ad9d6d0b53bc.jpg

Mind you, this shipment and my last will mostly be put under the tree for Christmas.  So no sense getting excited about it.

Edited by Worldway

You may want to double check that they both contain the correct pieces and parts. Inventory, then seal them back up for Christmas Day.

cog, donrobinson, EJ_L and 2 others like this

Good advice Ken. I had a quick look this evening and all looks well.  One thing about Model Shipways is that they always make good on their product.

EJ_L likes this