Kevin

What have you received today?

I got two things in the mail today, a ship kit and a O Scale locomotive project. The ship model is of a 1/40th scale Dutch flat bottomed cargo boat the "Tjalk" of 1850. It is one of the Authentic Model Amsterdam kits. I got it for a good price, and it will make a model of a different (to me) subject.

Tjalk_01.thumb.JPG.2a055a0d574b4eb94f02a8adfcf6783b.JPG

Tjalk_02.thumb.JPG.df9598d7cee91ed6cb8dc8a22e6b235b.JPG

Tjalk_03.thumb.JPG.e36c56773519512cfa6dedd03d07844d.JPG

I purchased the O Scale locomotive for the running gear,  it is otherwise poorly assembled. I have an original full kit of this loco, but you had to buy a seperate motorizing kit if you wanted to have an operating locomotive. I saw this on Ebay, and it was well below what the motorizing kits go for, so I snapped it up. When I build the full kit, I'd like it to be able to run, even though I will probably never actually run it, as my scale is HO. If I'm going to build it, I may as well do a complete job. Who knows, maybe there will be an O Scale meet near me some day. At least at some time in the future, someone who is in O Scale may end up with it.

IHB_01.thumb.JPG.6f6ffc58977e0216c754bf94e71718da.JPG

Ron

I have a couple of ships from Authentic Models, The Fair American, and The more generic Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900. They both seem to be pretty good kits, especially the Fair American. The Nordsee Krabbenkutter does not seem as well detailed and therefore more toy like. On the other hand the kits by this manufacture when they show up seem to go cheaply, (Relatively speaking on the Fair American at a little under $100) 

I of course can't tell the quality of your kit from the pictures but from the box top picture it looks like it may be on the order of the Fair American rather than the Nordsee Krabbenkutter. 

Nice fine of an unusual subject.

Lou

My brother has been rat holing this book for years CSS Alabama Builder, Captain, and Plans by Charles Grayson Summerall.

Very nice illustrated book on the history and building of the Alabama. Much to my surprise there are 3 sheets of plans not copyrighted in a scale of1/8 inch = foot Birkenhead Iron Works October 9 1861. Including layout for rigging and sails plus details for sizes of foremast mainmast bowsprit mizzen mast in ft inches and overall.

He has always heard me say one day I would like to build a scratch Alabama not happy with Mamoli or Blue jacket and their materials. This was a nice surprise he forgot he had it, made my day. These are large foldouts I reduced but did not post alla1.thumb.JPG.77ec01ce621bfeac56a60e6bb8d1b215.JPGa2.thumb.JPG.b2bdf66a1abf3c9a5d538b20b4e242df.JPGa3.thumb.JPG.87420744c19d01274c234e842a14aaf5.JPGa4.thumb.JPG.20241feb6236046cb3248670015f86ab.JPGa7.thumb.JPG.8e7a87659a4ed4d4f2d83726f7864b45.JPGa8.thumb.JPG.84c8857e1a4c7811650b3e23e3b8c792.JPGa9.thumb.JPG.1707f90ed1ba8e59029819d7449f723e.JPG

John:

That's a great find for you.  The printed plans are copyrighted.  Just because they do not bear a copyright date or symbol does not mean that they are not copyrighted.  Copyright is automatic at the time of publishing (and in many cases prior to publishing).  As you are not planning to sell copies it really doesn't matter.  And your showing them as you did is perfectly within MSW guidelines.

Should make a great model.

Kurt

Hi Ron

It looks like those models are more like the Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900, kind of simple fore and aft rigged ships. I kept the Fair American both because it was a better model from their line but as I also had the MS kit I had better plans and rigging information available to help build a smaller version of the ship. It would have been nice if they had done a better job in depicting the Hannah, there is much more available on her than some of the other early American ships.

Lou

NEW QUICK CHANGE TOOLPOST FOR MY TAIG LATHE

COMES WITH TOOLPOST HOLDER

1 HOLDER FOR 1/4" TOOL STEEL

1 HOLDER FOR 5/16" TOOLSTEEL

1 HOLDER FOR 3/8" BORING BAR

1 HOLDER FOR COMMERCIAL PARTING OFF BLADE

1 HOLDER FOR A DREMEL TOOL

GOOD QUALITY CONSTRUCTION

FROM A GUY CALLED HARRY KOESNADI IN FRESNO CALIFORNIA.

DELIVERED TO THE UK IN ABOUT ONE WEEK......WELL IMPRESSED!

P1020354.JPG

P1020355.JPG

P1020356.JPG

P1020357.JPG

P1020358.JPG

P1020359.JPG

P1020360.JPG

P1020362.JPG

P1020363.JPG

P1020364.JPG

Getting more organized this weekend. Caught a sale at Michael’s on storage cabinets and found this one. It was originally designed for holding scrapbook tape but with a little modification, putting index cards down to make the bottoms solid, it became perfect for sorting the smaller pieces into something much easier use. 

F31892A0-1E6E-47B9-95DA-74C2AE23EDB6.jpeg

A non-descript white box arrived at work today. Opened it up to find ....

DSCN3547.JPG.5905c8aefbd0992e876db1ad2fb5d84c.JPG

... one Royal Barge kit, by some guy calling himself Chuck Passaro (anybody ever heard of him ??).

Since I've already got one stalled build underway, this one is for my Dad to build.

Posted (edited)

I also picked up a pack of Chuck's English cannon emblems. I think there's something like 60 pieces in the pack.

They are miniscule !!!

The BIG ones are only 3mm (1/8") long, but they all look to be perfectly formed !!

They are flexible, and will easily form to the shape of any gun barrel.

DSCN3561.JPG.8ae5bfda94418f7e71dd858b3914053b.JPG

Some moons back, I read Theodore Roosevelt's book on the War of 1812. He made numerous mentions to guns being captured and re-deployed by both sides. So I figured that I might add a few scattered "English" guns around my Connie's deck. 

Mr Frolich, Mr Tripp. Feel free to tear my argument apart.

(But, mayhaps, in another thread)

Edited by CaptainSteve

Hi All,

Four years ago the old shop master passed away.

PICT0177.JPG.ad3bda0faab18e04ad716a93911ac1ff.JPG

After countless applications, numerous interviews and a relentless screening process a new shop master has agreed to take the job!

IMG_2616.thumb.JPG.02b896da2c4dbcbaca1df95eeb8e5c9d.JPG

She is a relentless task master and rules with an iron paw!

I may need a visit to Dr Per until the potty training and teething passes. As far as the dog house goes that's my normal place. 

Hi Art. She is Chloe and is more than capable of wrapping me around her paw. 

Posted (edited)

A little light reading

WP_20180315_09_50_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.fd2674847d463701a49eb802fbed82b2.jpg

Been looking for these for a reasonable price for a long time £26 from Waterstones but had to wait for four weeks to arrive from over the pond, they still have all the plans in the cover pockets as well, bargain !!!!

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Yesterday I picked up 15 2X4 four bulb florecent light fixtures and two 2x2 ones. These were given to me by a man I do side jobs for from time to time. Along with two of the larger ones he gave me earlier, I have more than enough to light my layouts and shop. Many still have the bulbs in them! I need about 14, and the others will serve as spares, as I'm sure some will have problems.

Lights.jpg

Something about finding a delivery at home that sets the weekend off right! :champagne-2:

This is a little treat for myself from this years tax returns. 

I also bought enough product from Syren to rig my entire Niagara with proper blocks and rope. Well, just about enough. It'll take a few more orders.

I'm spreading them out. 

Have wanted the Bowdoin for a while. But I felt guilty buying it as I have a little stash forming.

Waiting is the Constitution, Kate Cory and the Dapper Tom. 

All from Model Shipways. What can I say......I like there kits.

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.eba290623d3c9da06ebdea1969f7351c.JPG

There's a sticker on the bottom with a born on date of 1/31/18.

I have never seen a "born on date" before. I like it.

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.5ce608c739a47919919a5e397f53893d.JPG

A build log will most certainly happen!

But not yet. I want to keep plowing thru the Niagara. I very rarely have more than one project going at once.

I'll start another one when I'm getting close to finishing the other.

Exceptions can happen! Just upon a preliminary inspection the quality can be seen......and I wanna tear into it!!!!!!

I see Mahogany in the wood bag! My first "exotic" wood. So far its been basswood, balsa and plywood.

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.137535fcf7a639a1b239f6d2b38ded32.JPG

Tom E 

Just pulled a small envelope out of the mailbox last week from Syren.  Enough 3/32", 1/8", 5/32" wood blocks and 3 mm hooks to upgrade my MS Phantom kit.  I was very disappointed with the ones that came with the kit, but pleasantly surprised with my delivery!  There is a night and day difference in the blocks, especially the small ones.  The MS blocks were very fragile, needed a lot of shaping and were poorly drilled.  Chucks have great definition and look ready to go!:10_1_10:

Congratulations Brian

If the "old" car only had 3900 miles after four years then you just bought a great driveway trophy! Now you just need to get the neighbor kids to wash and wax it weekly!

Lou