Kevin

What have you received today?

I may need a visit to Dr Per until the potty training and teething passes. As far as the dog house goes that's my normal place. 

Hi Art. She is Chloe and is more than capable of wrapping me around her paw. 

Posted (edited)

A little light reading

WP_20180315_09_50_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.fd2674847d463701a49eb802fbed82b2.jpg

Been looking for these for a reasonable price for a long time £26 from Waterstones but had to wait for four weeks to arrive from over the pond, they still have all the plans in the cover pockets as well, bargain !!!!

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe
Jolley Roger, CDW, Canute and 8 others like this

Rusty,  that sounds like not only is she the yard master but also doubles up with cleanup.    Clean ship, happy ship and all that.

Nirvana, Omega1234, Rustyj and 8 others like this

Yesterday I picked up 15 2X4 four bulb florecent light fixtures and two 2x2 ones. These were given to me by a man I do side jobs for from time to time. Along with two of the larger ones he gave me earlier, I have more than enough to light my layouts and shop. Many still have the bulbs in them! I need about 14, and the others will serve as spares, as I'm sure some will have problems.

Lights.jpg

donrobinson, Canute, EJ_L and 5 others like this

Something about finding a delivery at home that sets the weekend off right! :champagne-2:

This is a little treat for myself from this years tax returns. 

I also bought enough product from Syren to rig my entire Niagara with proper blocks and rope. Well, just about enough. It'll take a few more orders.

I'm spreading them out. 

Have wanted the Bowdoin for a while. But I felt guilty buying it as I have a little stash forming.

Waiting is the Constitution, Kate Cory and the Dapper Tom. 

All from Model Shipways. What can I say......I like there kits.

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.eba290623d3c9da06ebdea1969f7351c.JPG

There's a sticker on the bottom with a born on date of 1/31/18.

I have never seen a "born on date" before. I like it.

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.5ce608c739a47919919a5e397f53893d.JPG

A build log will most certainly happen!

But not yet. I want to keep plowing thru the Niagara. I very rarely have more than one project going at once.

I'll start another one when I'm getting close to finishing the other.

Exceptions can happen! Just upon a preliminary inspection the quality can be seen......and I wanna tear into it!!!!!!

I see Mahogany in the wood bag! My first "exotic" wood. So far its been basswood, balsa and plywood.

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.137535fcf7a639a1b239f6d2b38ded32.JPG

Tom E 

Just pulled a small envelope out of the mailbox last week from Syren.  Enough 3/32", 1/8", 5/32" wood blocks and 3 mm hooks to upgrade my MS Phantom kit.  I was very disappointed with the ones that came with the kit, but pleasantly surprised with my delivery!  There is a night and day difference in the blocks, especially the small ones.  The MS blocks were very fragile, needed a lot of shaping and were poorly drilled.  Chucks have great definition and look ready to go!:10_1_10:

Congratulations Brian

If the "old" car only had 3900 miles after four years then you just bought a great driveway trophy! Now you just need to get the neighbor kids to wash and wax it weekly!

Lou

Rustyj, Canute, mtaylor and 6 others like this

You’re not wrong Lou.  But I’ve lived a long life buying second-hand cars or ‘budget’ new cars.  Now there is (was!) money to spare in the bank, and I felt like indulging myself!  I’m now wasting valuable model-building time sitting in the driving seat, trying to make sense of all the knobs and buttons ...

Altduck, EJ_L, Canute and 5 others like this

Nice looking wheels Brian. I was the same way with used cars all my life and finally my retirement gift to myself was a brand new car. Nothing fancy but it's new and paid for.

I know what you mean Brian.

I have spent most of my adult life married and of course buying family cars, the only practical way to live right? Even though i still have kids at home and really don't need anything except a family style car a couple of years ago I bought a hot rod Mini Cooper that I love driving just because it is fun! It is not practical, There is no way an adult human can sit in the back seat unless they chop their feet off and even when you fold the back seats down it almost will not hold  the groceries from a single trip to the store! BUT it's red and black and FUN and I drive it almost all the time even if it just a trip to the store and back. My wife kind of hates it because it is so low so sometimes I am forced to drive one of the other cars! :angry: 

It looked like I was going to have to pass it on to my older grandson who will be reaching driving age this coming year as I do not want to have any car payments but it turned out that I now have another car to give him and I get to keep my Mini.:D He is like you though, he goes out once or twice a week and plays with HIS car in the driveway, starts it up and stuff like that. So it looks like you may be going through a second childhood. 

I can't wait until my third childhood, I haven't had a motorcycle since I was a teen! :D

Lou 

SOME NEW GOODIES ARRIVED IN THE LAST WEEK......ONE FROM GPM IN POLAND...HMS SAUMAREZ + EXTRAS

SHIPYARD PLANS FOR HMS SUCCESS 1/96

SHIPYARD PLANS AND LASER CUT AND PRINTED MODEL FOR HMS WOLF 1/96

SHIPYARD PLANS AND LASER CUT AND SAILS AND PRINTED MODEL 1/96

THE SHIP YARD STUFF COURTESY OF EBAY ....    AT ASTEAL OF A PRICE!!!!

WELL CHUFFED!!!

SAUMAREZ WILL BE A PROJECT AFTER WASHINGTON GALLEY....A CHILL OUT WHILE I DECIDE WHAT WOOD TO BUTCHER NEXT...A REORGANISE THE SHOP.

CHEERS....MICK

P1020451.JPG

P1020450.JPG

P1020449.JPG

P1020448.JPG

P1020447.JPG

P1020446.JPG

P1020445.JPG

P1020444.JPG

P1020443.JPG

P1020442.JPG

I just got this gem in the mail today. It's over 230 pages of beautiful color photos, line drawings and history. I have not had a chance to do more than thumb through it but it sure looks like a good one.

9781848321762.jpg

lmagna, Canute, Jack12477 and 13 others like this

Posted (edited)

mitre block from France, actually worked out very expensive with postage etc. over £100 bit extravagant I know but anything that helps me cut in a straight line is ok with me

thanks Patrick @JOUFF

WP_20180409_12_38_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.3073a7926cb508f81c034d54d87fd9cc.jpgWP_20180409_12_38_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.76a9fe28bebfec02aab9046a7a44d92b.jpg

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe
Canute, Mike Y, Omega1234 and 7 others like this

These pictures save me a thousand words!!  This is not a commercial, just a good recommendation for an excellent acrylic display case made by Ron Baluch of

grandpascabinets.com. Ron is a craftsman and a delight to work with. Check him out.

Pythagoras (Tom)

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

Canute, Osmosis, Altduck and 17 others like this

Not today but yesterday....

To replace the one that was worn out

P1030322.JPG.89ae48e56d3760397ab528309602ae97.JPG

And one I get done using this, try to find some time for the crosscut sled from Jim Byrnes

Very well Made

P1030325.JPG.96f7ea5d62c76c8d397835449ba7eda7.JPG

Nirvana, Backer, mtaylor and 6 others like this

Posted (edited)

I just received my Model Shipways 1:16 HMS Bounty Launch in the mail. I got a good deal at $69.99 instead of $89.99. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at building my 1st POF wooden kit. I'm really excited about getting started but I need to finish my work on an old solid hull Scientific Bluenose kit that is nearing completion. I am also going to see about keeping a more accurate log when I start this kit. Thanks goes out to the many people who have helped me along the way in ship modeling!

s-l225.jpg

Edited by Fright
donrobinson, EJ_L, Nirvana and 8 others like this

A new addition to my growing library of modelling books. I see many hours of reading, plus many, many more of practicing, in my future.

DSCN3703.JPG.318bdc92ac0ef4247c58c9b65b1f7be2.JPG

This is the 2nd edition of Model Building With Brass. The author, Ken Foran (aka MSW member, XKen), has included a chapter which should be of particular interest to we ship-modellers. In that chapter, he covers much of the detail from his USS Constitution build.

Ken:

I hope you are planning to bring books to the Las Vegas Conference.  I will set you up with a table in the vendor room - save me one so I can get your autograph.

Kurt

Canute, Jack12477, mtaylor and 5 others like this