• Announcements

• Dubz

Hello fellow modellers   02/04/2018

We would like to present on our Facebook page more regularly pictures of your work. If you would like to participate, and we would appreciate that as we wanna promote the forum this way, please visit https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17711-your-images-for-our-facebook-page/

• kurtvd19

An Incentive to Start A Build Log - New Plan Set from the NRG   03/17/2018

An Incentive for Starting a Build Log

The NRG’s Generic East Coast Oyster Sharpie plan sets have been selling out – we had to reorder prints 2X already.

BUT nobody has started a build log yet.  As an incentive we have decided to reward the first three (3) MSW / NRG members who purchase the plans and start and continue* actual build logs** from the plans. 

The build logs should be started in the scratch built forum and labeled with Generic Sharpie – by “your ID”.  When we have six or more build logs up and running we will set up a group build area for the Generic Sharpie build logs.

The winners will be able to pick any one of the prizes listed below:

Free registration for one day at 2018 or 2019 NRG Conference                  ($145 value)

Shop Notes 1 and 2 set                                                                         ($60 value)

Nautical Research Journal – all content set                                              ($145 value)

4 CD's or 1 flash drive         

Continental Galley Washington Plan set                                                    ($65 value)

1 year NRG membership or extension                                                      ($50 - $62 value)

THE RULES

*“Continue” means that multiple posts containing build log content must be made for a minimum of 30 days after the initial post.  Logs will be tracked by starting date and the first 3 that have continued for 30 days following their initial post will be declared the winners.

**Note the words “actual build logs” – no fair showing a few pieces of wood and going no further just to win. 

The NRG has a new set of plans available for purchase with a free 200+ page full-color monograph .  Check the NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD NEWS forum below for details.  This plan set is developed for the first time scratch builder with limited tools and experience.  All materials are standard strip stock available from hobby wood suppliers.  However, it is also a great project for the more experienced builder looking for a smaller project to take a break from the bigger builds.  Remember MSW Members who provide us their real name are considered members for the discounted price.  An email or call to the office before you order with your real name and MSW user name before you order is needed for the discount code.

Kevin

What have you received today?

SOME NEW GOODIES ARRIVED IN THE LAST WEEK......ONE FROM GPM IN POLAND...HMS SAUMAREZ + EXTRAS

SHIPYARD PLANS FOR HMS SUCCESS 1/96

SHIPYARD PLANS AND LASER CUT AND PRINTED MODEL FOR HMS WOLF 1/96

SHIPYARD PLANS AND LASER CUT AND SAILS AND PRINTED MODEL 1/96

THE SHIP YARD STUFF COURTESY OF EBAY ....    AT ASTEAL OF A PRICE!!!!

WELL CHUFFED!!!

SAUMAREZ WILL BE A PROJECT AFTER WASHINGTON GALLEY....A CHILL OUT WHILE I DECIDE WHAT WOOD TO BUTCHER NEXT...A REORGANISE THE SHOP.

CHEERS....MICK

P1020451.JPG

P1020450.JPG

P1020449.JPG

P1020448.JPG

P1020447.JPG

P1020446.JPG

P1020445.JPG

P1020444.JPG

P1020443.JPG

P1020442.JPG

Archi, mtaylor, Canute and 10 others like this

I just got this gem in the mail today. It's over 230 pages of beautiful color photos, line drawings and history. I have not had a chance to do more than thumb through it but it sure looks like a good one.

9781848321762.jpg

Posted (edited)

mitre block from France, actually worked out very expensive with postage etc. over £100 bit extravagant I know but anything that helps me cut in a straight line is ok with me

thanks Patrick @JOUFF

WP_20180409_12_38_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.3073a7926cb508f81c034d54d87fd9cc.jpgWP_20180409_12_38_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.76a9fe28bebfec02aab9046a7a44d92b.jpg

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe
EJ_L, Mike Y, Canute and 7 others like this

These pictures save me a thousand words!!  This is not a commercial, just a good recommendation for an excellent acrylic display case made by Ron Baluch of

grandpascabinets.com. Ron is a craftsman and a delight to work with. Check him out.

Pythagoras (Tom)

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

Not today but yesterday....

To replace the one that was worn out

P1030322.JPG.89ae48e56d3760397ab528309602ae97.JPG

And one I get done using this, try to find some time for the crosscut sled from Jim Byrnes

Very well Made

P1030325.JPG.96f7ea5d62c76c8d397835449ba7eda7.JPG

thibaultron, CDW, Canute and 6 others like this

Posted (edited)

I just received my Model Shipways 1:16 HMS Bounty Launch in the mail. I got a good deal at $69.99 instead of $89.99. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at building my 1st POF wooden kit. I'm really excited about getting started but I need to finish my work on an old solid hull Scientific Bluenose kit that is nearing completion. I am also going to see about keeping a more accurate log when I start this kit. Thanks goes out to the many people who have helped me along the way in ship modeling!

s-l225.jpg

Edited by Fright
mtaylor, JesseLee, Nirvana and 8 others like this

A new addition to my growing library of modelling books. I see many hours of reading, plus many, many more of practicing, in my future.

DSCN3703.JPG.318bdc92ac0ef4247c58c9b65b1f7be2.JPG

This is the 2nd edition of Model Building With Brass. The author, Ken Foran (aka MSW member, XKen), has included a chapter which should be of particular interest to we ship-modellers. In that chapter, he covers much of the detail from his USS Constitution build.

Ken:

I hope you are planning to bring books to the Las Vegas Conference.  I will set you up with a table in the vendor room - save me one so I can get your autograph.

Kurt

Kurt, Sounds like a plan, will hold one for you. Also if anyone buys one elsewhere and brings it to the conference I will also sign them.

Nirvana, EJ_L, donrobinson and 4 others like this

Last year's quarter our company had a sales competition, turned out I had the highest sales.

It's not every day when you are being recognized with a gift in return that applies to your hobby.

So today, our VP of parts came by and dropped this lady off.

And oboy there are alot of extra goodies on the internet for her.

20180424_081703.jpg

Per,

44 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

our VP of parts came by and dropped this lady off

Just like a boss. You work hard and the boss finds you more work for you to do. Well done and enjoy the build.

cog, Canute, Omega1234 and 8 others like this

9 hours ago, Nirvana said:

It's not every day when you are being recognized with a gift in return that applies to your hobby.

Whom ever said effort isn't rewarded ... well done ... I like the very personal touch

Hi.

Today I got my shipment from Syren.

Quick delevery to the UK.

Most pleased with the blocks. Both premade and the laser cut ones are a real Jem.

UK vat hits and UK post Office Slaps a £8 handling fee on top.

But Happy with the blocks.

Did not use super glue as my hands are not quick enough to complete the assemble before it sets.

Regards Antony.

Posted (edited)

Tom,

Very nice display case, I was wondering about your progress on the Chaperon it came out great buy what I can see in the photo.

Best regards

Edited by Osmosis

Hello Art,

Good to hear from you. A couple of months ago, I was wondering where to display the Chaperon, which is now finished. Later I moved it to clean up the shipyard bench and just set it atop the Niagara case and turned back to the bench.  Hmmm!!  "Now why didn't I think of this before??" I contacted Ron at Grandpas Cabinets,

with whom I've done business, and about 10 days later, this was "What have you received today?"  I'm very pleased and like the double-decker approach to the display. Now I am onto MS  Wright Flyer, a very different experience, but am enjoying it. I'm trying to think "outside the box" to its display. Might try hanging it from the base of one of Ron's cases and hang that from the ceiling upside down.  Now that will be a whole new world of display area to open up.

Just caught up with your posts about getting some members together. Glad you are doing this and I will try to join you fellows in the future.

Regards'

Pythagoras (Tom)

On 4/24/2018 at 2:38 PM, pythagoras said:

Good on you!!!! Enjoy this build.

Pythagoras (Tom)

Tom I am very interested in the lower ship in the case as I am thinking about a display in a similar vein. Can you post a photo of that display as it appears to be a diorama. How did you make the water. That case is awesome.

Today I got one large sheet of light weight silkspan for making furled sails for my longboat model.  After hearing about difficulties others have had getting this stuff I was surprised when I walked into Carr’s Hobby shop in west Duluth and asked the guy if he had any.  His only response “light or medium weight?”  The bill came to $3.71.

Roger

JesseLee, donrobinson, EJ_L and 3 others like this

My order of the armament for my HMS Cheerful was in my postbox this morning,very nice quality guns indeed. Ordered last Sunday evening,sterling service from Chuck :cheers: 

Dave :dancetl6:

Posted (edited)

I came across this product while looking a something else.

sorry - on Amazon

Pottery Clay Molding Ceramics Sharp Steel Cutter Tools Scraper Crafts Pack of 10

5aec9ffd1f2ef_potteryscrapers.png.08cde4dc3af0d5bed7e4c3397a44bf34.png

The cost was under $8 US  no shipping

The steel is thin - about half or less of the similar violin scrappers that run $25-50.

They are sharp and scrape welll.  Thin enough and cheap enough to cut into custom

shapes or use as profile scrapers.  I did a short test on laminated Hard Maple.

The blade bowed, which is OK with me.  a wooden clamp/handle would stop that.

If you wish to explore using scrapers, this is a low cost way to do that.

Edited by Jaager
EJ_L, Nirvana, Canute and 3 others like this

I got my plans for HMS Triton this morning!  Triton will be my first scratch build, right after I finish the Victory :D

I've spent several hours gathering more information since getting the plans. 

I will be building the Triton at either 1:48 or 28mm (1:56) scale.  I know that I can get crew members for my Triton, at 28mm scale, with only a minimum of conversion involved. 

I like very large scale and very detailed models.  I also like to weather my models and make them look well used, especially military models.

I am very excited to get my plans!  I am looking forward to beginning my build.  This will be fun! B)

I truly liked the thin wire that came with the long boat (28 gauge), because I used it with the deadeyes on Bluenose. I only had a short piece not long enough to make all the deadeyes. 

Looking into ModelExpo's website I tried to find the wire, without success.

So I called them and John Garcia was a tremendous help. I gave him the part number related to the long boat, he said sorry that number has been super-seeded.

For 6 dollars including shipping I got the right wire in order to continue the rigging.

P1040060.JPG.c7c6a9ecff11089eb6751d23bd5ccce2.JPG

For my "Connie" I have received the extremely thin wood deck. All laser cut!

P1040059.JPG.f47776a94d833946b576882c8e329116.JPG