Kevin

What have you received today?

31 minutes ago, cog said:

$188. Marcus, not to bad the weight considered.

Really?  Sounds rather steep to me.

Or does that include for value added tax, import duty, 25% trade-war tariff etc?

thibaultron, EJ_L, Canute and 1 other like this

No Brian, that was another € 134 VAT 21% importduties, etc

But you haven't felt the weight, include insurance, etc. Don't forget, it's coming from America ... to the European continent not the UK

Edited by cog

Congratulations and be prepared to fall in love Carl. ;)

You will be singing the praises of this piece of machinery long after you have forgotten the shipping/import costs. Shipping to “downunda” adds about 50% to the price, and that’s before you take into account the exchange rate. But all that is forgotten the first time you use the machine! :)

mtaylor, thibaultron, EJ_L and 4 others like this

Thanks Grant. It seems crossing the equator has some severe financial consequences! I have someone's tutorial on which sawblade to use for what type of cut (got 4 additional blades as well). I have some nice pieces of pear, and walnut to start tryouts with. Hope to get the last accessories, in a few months time ... maybe I can get "nagging Greg" to do a joint build with wood ... now we are into plastic and  PE, although it has it's own level of challenges with the additional PE

EJ_L, Chasseur, John Allen and 3 others like this

I received several kits this week.

The first one is a Model Expo Civil War Limber in 1/16th scale. The limber was what the horses were hooked to when transporting the canons. The canon were then hooked to the limber like a trailer. After opening the box, I found the usual metal castings. I am somewhat disappointed in the one for the limber seat. the casting line was along the center of the rivets/brads along the edge used to attach the leather seat, and they are quite messed up. I'm concidering remaking the "wood" parts in wood, so this may not be a problem.

Limber_01.thumb.JPG.9c82833774ca944fa1a9269021b09d9b.JPG

Limber_02.thumb.JPG.ab6d4ad4e69d70162c4a88a992461c46.JPG

Limber_03.thumb.JPG.34730f7ecd97df21f9d7d7104bd62878.JPG

Limber_04.thumb.JPG.e44b93b1fdd3acfb2aa27a35f60bd4ac.JPG

Limber_05.thumb.JPG.6301a444a5f566cabf8e0855e0607633.JPG

The second kits are related, I bought two kits of replacement wooden wheels to replace the metal ones supplied with the limber and cannon kits. I still need to get another, as I have a canon and a gatling gun. The laser cut square is for the jig used to position the wheel components.

Wheel_01.thumb.JPG.c3733499780a8aab00385dc54d208d07.JPG

Wheel_02.thumb.JPG.4cf4a9f6d24e542e6e52982f5b589cfb.JPG

I have on the way a 1/16th scale plastic kit which is a diarama of four horses pulling a limber and canon, with three figures. I'll subsitute the ME limber and one of the guns, for the plastic ones

The third kit is also a canon. It is a 1/16th scale Medieval canon. The company who made it has gone out of business, I decided to get while the getting is good. I also have a 1/16th scale 11" Dalgren pivot gun on a deck section coming from the same company coming from France. That at least is ship related. No pictures of the kit contents, the box is sealed, and it sounds like there are a lot of small loosable parts inside!

Medieval.thumb.JPG.9841f4b8d21244c8b438430f9b8e88d1.JPG

Really like your ammunition wagon. The wooden wheel upgrades will set it off nicely.

Have you ever seen a wheelwright make full scale wooden wheels? I had the pleasure of being around old men who still knew how to make them when I lived in West Virginia. It's quite an interesting process. The craftsmanship required is impressive. Seeing those wheel kits bring back lots of good memories of an era gone by. 

I did not received anything but I am really thinking to make an order with  Micro Mark Microlux table saw at  $ 249.95.I was waiting for my birthday  in November to do so but maybe it s the perfect time .I thing it s a great price . What do you think ?

mtaylor, thibaultron, Backer and 1 other like this

I have the MM saw. Not a bad saw but it does have it's limitations. The main thing I don't like is the "movable blade" for miter cuts.  It doesn't alway stay locked in position and there is a bit of wobble because of the miter mechanism.  Blade size is limited.   As for blades, I prefer to use the one's from Thurston as they seem to last longer than the MM blades... http://www.thurstonmfg.com/index.html   But that could be a mental thing on my part.

Edit:   I should have mentioned that when this one is no longer useful.. I'll be getting a Byrnes.

Edited by mtaylor
Canute, thibaultron, cog and 2 others like this

I saved up for the Byrnes saw, as Remco (yes another Dutchman) told me he was disapointed with the proxxon, and wishd he had put down the axtra money for the Byrnes saw

You are not going to want to hear this, but

I have an old Jarmac and a Dremel 4"  and a saw attachment for my Unimat SL- they are in storage

They are not even close to the quality of my Byrnes saw.

It is worth the difference in price.  It is a joy not to have to fight

the tool.  I advise more thought - especially if you are serious about this modeling exercise.

Backer, Canute, Nirvana and 2 others like this

12 hours ago, thibaultron said:

I received several kits this week.

The third kit is also a canon. It is a 1/16th scale Medieval canon. The company who made it has gone out of business, I decided to get while the getting is good. I also have a 1/16th scale 11" Dalgren pivot gun on a deck section coming from the same company coming from France. That at least is ship related. No pictures of the kit contents, the box is sealed, and it sounds like there are a lot of small loosable parts inside!

Medieval.thumb.JPG.9841f4b8d21244c8b438430f9b8e88d1.JPG

Made in Belgium by Verlinden

Thank you for buying a Belgian product ;)

cog, lmagna, Jack12477 and 3 others like this

We recieved a bouncing baby boy! 

Well, technically, he doesn't bounce much any longer, and although he will always be one of our "babies", he is 19 years old.

Okay, so my grandson/semi-son arrived for the summer.  He and my son are like brothers (long story, large cast and strange plot), and both conspiring to outsmart the parents.  Should be a great summer!

CDW, Jack12477, Canute and 4 others like this

6 hours ago, cog said:

Something to be proud of Patrick ...

Thanks,

Besides Verlinden we also have Belgian beer and chocolate

:10_1_10: