USS Columbus 1819 by threebs - 1/72 scale

I'm not sure I should have liked that post...  but it's an acknowledgement to your injury.  Hopefully you'll heal faster than that doc said.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had all 210 single and double blocks rigged to make carronade tackle out of 4 mm blocks. 

they were just too big.  I started over with 2mm blocks and I will be rigging the carronades in the next day or two, THEN photos will be coming as I put the remaining deck items on and move to the gun port door hinges, another chore I do not like, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I am installing the deck furniture on the spar deck, I have noticed a few things now that I look closer that I did not really notice before. Just forward of the main mast is a section of grating that appear to have 2 bits projecting out of it as they do near the fore mast. As the ladders seem mounted in front of this section of grating am I correct to think that this grating is more or less battened down all the time? And I will need to make a frame work under that section of grating to make it appear as if it is holding that grating in place.
At the bow where the stove pipe pierces the spar deck, the covering appears to be something other than the normal wooden grating. Both the small section and the larger one behind it seem to be a metal mess or something fairly fireproof so the heat in the galley stove does not set it afire? That sound right to you guys? All so, the anchor bits where the wales are pierced for the anchor fluke seem to be more in board than on other large US warships such as the Ohio and the Pennsylvania who's bits are part off the hull and appear where I have marked them with a black "x" I am lead to believe this is just a variation between certain ships.
The framing or the spar deck openings need to be widened as they are too skinny to mount brass posts to for the ladder railings. I will do this as I breathlessly await your sage answers to these questions.

IMG_5853.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the spar deck furniture would be a snap, forgot about redoing ships wheel from 8 spokes to 10, Five trys to finally get them all roughly the same length and spaced around the outer wheel. I have the binnacle done too.  Also the ships bell tower and the hatch behind the stove pipe covered.  Working on railing for steps coming off the quarter deck, and the platform and rope ladder fron the wale steps, over the wale cap and down to the deck, which is just a rope ladder.  Also the rope railings on the ladders I do not have enough brass posts to "fence" off the Main hatch.  Might leave it off like I did on the Pennsylvania.

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5857.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
been working on deadeyes and chain. the bones had to be cut down 3/16 of an inch and resoldered, now I need to file them smooth and paint them. 'I did a simple twist of copper wire around the deadeyes, soldered them and drilled the holes by hand. The loop chain are 1/2" long and also soldered at ends and hand drilled holes. There is one more section of chain, but, it is just square stock. I am going to cut sown stick pins for the "bolts". I am also putting the rudder on and smoothing out the copper tape where it peeld back from handling.

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5874.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

I was looking at the top half of the chain connected to the dead eyes, and I don't think it is square stock like in the photo of the side of the Constitution's hull.
I think the blue Print view shows a side on view of another link of chain, a skinny oval like on the Pennsylvania.  The way it attaches to the bottom chain link and the Dead eye just does not look like it would work What do you guys think?

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

• 1 month later...

My opinion....they look great.  The problem is macro which isn't "normal viewing distance".  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I get more responses on my other build site than I do here, so that one gets more attention.  Starting the bulkheads for my USS United
States now, just working out how to cut the keel bulkhead.  There will be a new site for that build, although it will not get much posting as I will only work on it occasionally until this build is done.

• 1 month later...

I will have more time to work on the ship now, I broke my ankle 3 days ago, lol.  Surgery in 2 days.  I chased a dog running in traffic to a house about a mile from me, I let him in the gate, he had dug a huge hole under the gate, so I put a couple head sized rocks in the hole, but, it looked like he could still get out, so I went to the front of the house and got a big 100 pound rock and as I was rounding the corner I stumbled on a drip irrigation line. I drop the rock to keep from going face first into the iron rail side fence, and, pow, landed on my ankle.  I will still help dogs get home though, life happens, and you deal with, move on.

Thumbs up for helping dogs.  Now I need to figure out a thumbs down on the ankle.  I'm just happy to hear the rock didn't land on you.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

I have a little build station on an end table next to my couch where I sit with my leg up.  I constructed all of the half doors and the hinge straps from here.  I super glued all the straps to all the doors, then soldered the hinge pins to the the ends of the straps.  The heat melted most of the straps off ans I had to re glue almost all of them over.  I Used a fresh bottle of super glue and they do stay on better than before.  The last photo shows the straps with pins soldered on, after the heat melted the glue.

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These plastic side hinge pin pieces should be the last bits to glue onto the gun doors. That is 4 each for the 32 double doors and two each for the 34 snIMG_5911.thumb.JPG.baa4f33b619c6f597d88538825171fba.JPGigle doors, you do the math, I would be to intimidated if I actually knew how many it was, lol!

20180107_89.JPG

20180107_90.JPG

20180107_91.JPG

20180107_92.JPG

IMG_5911.JPG

Edited by threebs
add photos

As much as I appreciate the "likes" i get on my posts they are just not the same a a personal "atta boy" post I can actually read and enjoy.  Might as well have a robot on the other end making generic comments about my work,  The whole concept of "likeing" simply escapes me. 

Some threads you have to go though 50 "atta-boys" for every 1 post by the builder.  It's like Cracker Jacks that's all popcorn and no peanuts.  I like the likes and wish more forums supported it that currently don't.  Besides, it tells you who "liked" your post, so except for MTaylor, who likes everything  ;) there's no robots.

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

11 hours ago, GeraldTodd said:

.... Besides, it tells you who "liked" your post, so except for MTaylor, who likes everything  ;) there's no robots.

It's not his fault, Jerry ... he's a "like"able guy.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I am not sure why I stopped posting to this site, except I remember it was sort of difficult posting photos here, boy, not anymore!  I have finished the Columbus now, And I have posted three photos of my United States build and the start of the Delaware 90 guns of 1817 I have the bulkheads cut out for the Germantown, the bulkhead patterns for the Columbia and Raritan ready to transfer to plywood.  If anyone is interested I will start build logs for all of them.

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5868.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

I made an offer to start build logs on the United States and Delaware on this site a few days ago.  Seems to be no interest in them, so I will just go back to my other forums and concentrate my efforts there. 

Sorry, I just saw you last post yesterday, and only now had time to sit and type something.
Since I used to be working on something from the same general time frame, I've found your log very interesting - I say used to be because I haven't had time to cut the grass much less work on anything for me.

When I do get to cut the grass, it'll be so far along that Green Peace will be out there protesting my destruction of the rain forest.

Anyway, I'd like to see your other projects

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

I too would like to see your next builds.  Sorry but I missed the last line about them.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Threebs,  I too would love to watch and follow your builds.  I think your Ships of the Lines are great.  I have a great interest in these U.S. ships.  I, too, am about to start the Frigate United States, but as it was first launched, still working out what the stern looked like as built.  Please post build logs here if you can.  If not, what other Forums are you posting on? thank You- Hal 

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool!  Well done!  I would very much look forward to seeing a build log on the United States and the Delaware here, if you so chose.

One of these years I would very much like to build the Ohio and the Pennsylvania.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me