Wasa Cross Section by seargent spectere - Corel kit - with cannon

Here's a kit I bought about 20 years agowhenI was in Junior High School. It was my first wooden kit. Needless to say, it was very rough arround the edges when I finished it back then.

So, fast forward to today, I found it again at my parent's house and want to refurbish it.

Now so much more is avaliable for refrence and my skills have improved a little bit too :rolleyes:

Looking forward to any feedback!

-Mattpost-7443-0-18540100-1415756420_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-96158500-1415756428_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-43372900-1415756441_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-02945800-1415756449_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-10394600-1415756457_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-61345200-1415756464_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-79343300-1415756472_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-00209300-1415756485_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-21319600-1415756493_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-00241300-1415756504_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-74175500-1415756516_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-24054600-1415756525_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-11559600-1415756533_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-48218200-1415756544_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-50183400-1415756569_thumb.jpgpost-7443-0-37053800-1415756585_thumb.jpg

Looks like a very interesting kit. I wasn't aware of a cross section kit of the Vasa.

Do you remember the scale?

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Matt,

NICE. I had totally forgotten about this kit.

http://modellers-workshop.com/corel-wasa-cross-section-wood-ship-kit-sm39/

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I hope to do it justice!

-Ulises Victoria, I don't remember the scale right now. I'm trying to find where i left the instructions book that has all that info :huh:

Can anyone reccomend a good website with good Wasa (Vasa) research?

I remember that the instructions had the gun carriage painted red, but now I'm not sure if it should be simply stained natural wood color?

Thanks all for the interest on this build!

-Matt

Matt,

When in doubt, Google is our friend...  http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/   There's lots of good info on that site.   Also, do a quick search in the kit forum for Vasa, Wasa and Wasan.   There's several very heavily research builds going on.

This build has quite a few pictures from the museum:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1815-wasan-1628-by-nazgul-billing-boats-vasa-175/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Try this  - it has Fred Hocker from the museum on it .He knows everything there is to know about the Vasa.

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net/

Also for a lot of good pictures try this -

http://www.wasadream.com/Index/indexenglish.html

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

very nice project - lots of neat detail  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What at excellent model. I had the chance to build this last year and it was really fun. I was a little annoyed about the fact that Corel mentions the parts are laser-cut. They are absolutely not laser cut. I put some of my pictures on this website but 

It's too bad the kit is discontinued. I built mine with the express purpose of showing it to prospective clients but Corel took it out of their catalog. 

The instructions are in the usual zillion languages and I only found one serious mistake with the engineering of the kit; the lower deck supports are assembled in a way that doesn't make sense in reality. 

Since the kit is discontinued, I have decided to develop my own version of this 1:24 scale kit but at the scale of 1:12. I'll be setting up a page for that as we get going. 

Regards, 

Rick

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Hi Seargent,

Thanks for the note. There's a series of pictures of my model somewhere. I've put in brass nails everywhere to suggest trunnels but I think your paint and detailing is more realistic than mine. I should not have left the brass parts unpainted. 

Here's the link to the gallery of my pictures: 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=gallery&mid=2920&userMode=all&sid=2ca4ce5979faae8d7b92e8e4f4be177c

It's funny how we all think the other guy's model is better. I was satisfied with mine (except for the brass) until I saw yours. 

I've picked out some nice wood for the 1/12 scale kit and we've decided to do the metal parts on a 3D printer. That should give an excellent surface effect to the metal. 

We're not sure whether we are going to turn the gun or print that, as well. 

I wish I had detailed pictures of the actual designs that are on the gun. 

Anyway, we have to have the gun done by May 12th, so we're going with what we have. 

it's a longish story but you'll hear a lot more about my laser-cut short kits as time passes. We are working to bring some really interesting services to the modelling industry. 

Regards, 

Rick 

www.modellers-workshop.com

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sargeant, 

I'm not quite sure why the link I entered above did not work. I think this one should: 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/member/2920-rshousha/

Like I said, I think you're model is clearly more accurate than mine, I should have painted the metal bits. And all those trunnels are metal. Next time, I'll make them out of wood. 

Cheers, 

Rick 

Rick Shousha

Montreal