Recommendations for soldering equipment

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about trying out metal working on my builds, but am very much a novice.  I've read the tutorial and some of the threads on here to help give me a better idea of what the process entails.  For the equipment though (soldering iron, etc.), I was wondering if folks had recommendations on the tools to buy that would be most helpful for this hobby - manufacturers, model numbers, vendors, etc.  

I'm not looking to spend a fortune here, but do want to buy stuff that is of good quality and will last.  Thanks in advance!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Can't really give a reccomendation although I would urge you to get a small butane torch as well as a solding iron.  Anyway Micro Mark is having a sale right now including a nice looking varible heat solding iron station for $20 + shipping.  Amazon has a very good Aoyue model 469 soldering station for $29.95 w/free shipping.  Nice thing about the Aoyue unit is that it uses standard 900M tips which are readily available.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I use a pencil style torch I got from Micromark. It is refilled with butane from the bottles used to refill lighters. It works well for me, but you can literally spend as much as you want on soldering equipment. I would recommend the smaller torches as they will handle any job you would need on a model.

Russ

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.  I am still a biit confused about torches versus irons, but I'm slowly picking up on things.  The warnings on cadmium I've seen elsewhere are very appreciated.

BE, it's funny, I was thinking about how to modify the stanchions, but forgot that you had gone down that route.  It looks like you gave me a very nice tutorial to follow - hope I can get results half as nice as yours!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike:

What confuses you about torches and irons?

The soldering iron is used for soft soldering such as what electricians use. Torches operate at much higher temps and are used for silver soldering, sometimes called hard soldering. This is like what jewelers use. Soft soldering is akin to gluing two pieces together where silver soldering is like welding so that two pieces become one.

Russ

Oh I see - that makes a lot of sense.  I remember my dad when I was little using a soldering iron - I figured the irons got fairly hot and gave you a little more control of where you are soldering.  After reading BE's soldering efforts, I think I'll try and go down that path as well.

Mike

My dad also used a soldering iron in his electronics work. I tried it and found very quickly that it was not as well suited to modeling. A friend and fellow modeler showed me silver soldering and I have been using that for almost ten years now. It takes some practice, but you will pick it up pretty fast.

If you have not yet read it, I have soldering tutorial in the ship modeling resources section. Click on the Nautical Research Guild homepage link at the top of this page, click on ship modeling database of articles, and go to the section on materials and tools. The article is down the page a bit called Silver Soldering tutorial.

Russ

That's a great tutorial, thank you very much Russ!

Mike

Richard:

It is called silver soldering because the solder has a high silver content. 

A more accurate term is actually silver brazing as the molecules at the joint change physical form and link with the silver solder and the other pieceThis takes considerably more heat than simple soldering.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

After you get used to a little more fussiness in preparing (such as fitting the faces of the pieces to be joined to each other) you will be amazed at the strength of a silver soldered joint vs a soft soldered one. It is well worth learning to silver solder.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to the page for the silver soldering tutorial to read Your article Russ and I found that the article for the silver soldering brought up the rope walk article. thinking I had pressed the wrong button i tried again and no the same switch , I tried the one above which is the one by Pat and the soldering article came up .

So my question is .... is it my computer or is the index miss aligned?

I am not complaining just noticed it.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

I think they have the icons misaligned with the article titles. Shoot Chuck a PM and I am sure he can set it right.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Torches: For big stuff, and for true silver solder.

I've given up (mostly) on jewelry grade silver solder, as it requires such high heat, and it always anneals my brass dead soft. Instead, I use TIX, a lower temp silver-bearing solder, but it's still much stronger than electrical solder. It's been great for all my modeling needs, and I can work it with a soldering iron.

Iron: Best buy I ever made was a good (not great) quality digitally controlled iron from Radio Shack. See my commentary at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372225&page=14&highlight=radioshack+soldering#post18112560

The iron has good quality tips, heats up VERY fast, is easily adjusted, it's been a wonder and a huge improvement over the cheap pencil irons I've used in the past... yet quite a bit less pricey than good quality pro equipment.

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-digital-soldering-station/6400053.html#.VJ3PWl4AHA

06400053_01.jpg?sw=350&sh=350&sm=fit

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!