Metal Ships

I remember reading about building a metal hull over a wooden plug using thin plate.  It was years ago that I read it and I believe it was in a British book about building model warships.  Sorry I can't tell you more.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I tried to build a metal boat several years ago. This is the best article I could hind.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=480

Good luck.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi

There was a brilliant modeller Young C Park, unfortunately passed away last year, who did cutaway aircraft in aluminium.

There's a few pointers on working with aluminium on this page which may be useful to someone thinking of working in that material.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm

Mark D

Mark D

Thanks for the link to the article Bob, an interesting read.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You're in luck. Olof Eriksen has built a Cutty Sark as well as Victory and Constitution...all in steel. Of course he has the advantage of being a master machinist and owns a large industrial manufacturing company where he also built his models in his spare time (or on the clock since it's his company). Here's a link to some photos of one of his models http://uniquesystems.com/u-s-s-constitution/. Do consider that a fully rigged (steel rigging of course) steel model of Constitution weighs 1300 pounds and requires a case 15' x 8' x 10'. This could upset some spouses. His Victory Model is featured in a two part Scale Ship Modeler Magazine (1990) article and this stainless steel model is an exact duplicate of Longridge's model in London, right down to the anchor stock planking of the hull. I don't know where his Cutty Sark resides. I believe Olof is or was a member of the New Jersey ship model group so maybe Chuck knows.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752