harlequin

HMS Bellona by harlequin - Corel

You have a lovely ship going together here Harlequin, as others have said the wood tones are very pleasing and you've done well to make some of the lesser quality fitting really blend in.  Will be following from here on if I may...

decision made....this is the only rope work I am going to fit to the deck cannons.....the scale at 98:1 is a bit small for cramming the deck full of unrealistic looking ropes and pulleys. I am happy with this and it is enough of a suggestion to show how the cannon were fitted. First of only ten cannon and six carronade and the hull is virtually complete......anchors and lamps still to be fitted and cleats and hooks and eyes but Bellona is taking shape. 

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

12 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

You have a lovely ship going together here Harlequin, as others have said the wood tones are very pleasing and you've done well to make some of the lesser quality fitting really blend in.  Will be following from here on if I may...

cheers Beef Wellington.....been an arduous journey with her tbh….I am one of these that what is in the kit I work with....i'm a bit weird that way.....apart from the gun ports but that was a build or scrap moment.

Edited by harlequin

10 hours ago, harlequin said:

I am happy with this 

And that is really all that matters!

Your idea of not cluttering up the deck is good, minimalism does have its benefits in situations like this. Good call sir and congrats in a very fine job. 

excellent work Harlequin, I have just re started with my build on the Bellona, will post pictures later, still struggling with the quarter galleys at the moment.

You have set a very high bar for the build standard.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, bill24 said:

excellent work Harlequin, I have just re started with my build on the Bellona, will post pictures later, still struggling with the quarter galleys at the moment.

You have set a very high bar for the build standard.

Cheers Bill24.....yes post some pics and if I can help I will.....the quarter galleys I think I pretty much followed the corel instructions, it is such a long time ago now. I like you have seen many months between when I worked on Bellona and when I didn't to the point that I very nearly scrapped her altogether. I had reached a point with her that I couldn't get passed. I don't know what happened but I think I had a few days off work when I just got my head down and decided this was her last hurrah, if I didn't like what was happening that was it. Thankfully I kept going to the point where I think she looks ok....the hull is virtually completed and I am in a happy place with her.

15 hours ago, harlequin said:

tomorrow is the start of the six nations rugby

Man, I would love to be able to sit and watch that! We don't get very good internet reception up here and TV is even worse (on the side of a montain surrounded by trees). Oh well, at least I have the view :)

Rugby.....my ultimate passion....my daughter got into the England U18s team a few years ago but doesn't play anymore....I just adore this most supreme of sports. It cost me a lot of teeth when I played and several expensive visits to my dentist but I would relive those days in a heartbeat.

The high school I attended back in the UK was apparently originally founded by William Webb Ellis back in the mid 1800's. We were not permitted to play football and were only given rugby tuition. I wasn't big enough to play rugby union or league but I was fast enough to play rugby sevens. I love the sport and always enjoy watching a good game. 

Well Bellona,.....your hull is complete. It has been a long journey old friend and just a coat of varnish to bring out your natural beauty. We nearly didn't make it this far and still a way to go yet before all your charms are revealed.

You have tested my resolve on many occasions and you do not know how close I came to turning you into pulp, but we have made it this far....the journey continues.

3 hours ago, harlequin said:

Well Bellona,.....your hull is complete. It has been a long journey old friend and just a coat of varnish to bring out your natural beauty. We nearly didn't make it this far and still a way to go yet before all your charms are revealed.

You have tested my resolve on many occasions and you do not know how close I came to turning you into pulp, but we have made it this far....the journey continues.

Specificly love the subtile black on the lanterns, galleries and windows! Top notch and beautifull ship. I am very glad you didn’t turn her into pulp! 😬

I have been following and admiring your project for quite a while now and she really is a beauty! I can't wait to start working on my own Bellona, if only she would arrive ...

Cheers

Pieter 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, peveka said:

I have been following and admiring your project for quite a while now and she really is a beauty! I can't wait to start working on my own Bellona, if only she would arrive ...

Cheers

Pieter 

has it arrived yet?

33 minutes ago, harlequin said:

has it arrived yet? 

Still waiting ... meanwhile working on my clog-a-war ;o)

Edited by peveka