Willliam Keltridge plans have been modeled.

Here are two links: first one is text description and the second a picture.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/531162.html

http://imageweb-cdn.magnoliasoft.net/nmmplans/supersize/j8581.jpg

Please take a look while the printer is on the fritz -- the top one with gun port wreathes would be my thought.

Daniel, more research:

Model Shipwright's first 7 issues featured, "Building  a 17th Century Dockyard Model" by Ewart Freeston.

It is described as a, "Sixth Rate of 24 guns from a draught proposed by William Keltridge 1684.

1/4 = 1'0". Length of gundeck 87'8". Breath 23'6"."

I hope you find this ship as enchanting as I did and will lend you my copies 1-7 if you want them.

Ed

I think Ewart Freeston must have used The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spiritsail Topmast

1600-1720 by R. C Anderson. And in his 7 part series he does show how his model was rigged.

On the other hand, I am not sure if the Keltridge plans have deck views and Freeston may have been

informed by contemporary ship models for stairs, knightheads, capstans, hatches, et cetera.

And since the he specifically mentions there were no 6th rates built at the time from

these plans he may have felt the freedom to improvise and add grace notes as he saw fit.

Ewart Freeston also wrote the book, Prisoner-of-war ship models, 1775-1825; so must have

had spent many years visiting museums as well as building models.

Navy Board Ship Models, 1650-1750 by John Franklin has many pictures and drawings from museum models.

Not sure if any of this rises to the standards you need to work to; but an 'unnamed 6th Rate Stuart model'

could be on many modeller's bucket list since these articles appeared in Model Shipwright in 1972-73.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

San Martin and Golden Hind kits are in the sale now. You can buy it with 30% discount. The discount is valid until March 15-2016. Please visit our special offers webpage:

http://www.dusekship.../special-offers

best regards

Daniel Dusek

post-16720-0-91486500-1454739920_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-36482300-1454739925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

• 3 weeks later...

Wow,that looks absolutely fantastic Daniel!!!!!!!! I did wonder if you would adopt the red and black colour scheme ;)

Slow down though,I need time to save my pennies,this is a definite must have for my stash :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Daniel,

Your Trinidad is looking great!. I have a few questions:

Are you going to copper plate her?

What software did you use to get the planking, AutoCad, Rhino5?

Are you using Mr. Crespo´s plans or the ones from Museo Naval Madrid?

On the link below you can check a Santisima Trinidad model. The modeler is using the same plan I´m working on. The stern is slightly diferent than yours,

as the plan is dated in 1796, and there is no lion but the archangel St Michel´s figurehead:

http://www.modelismonaval.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14073

If you need information regarding her artillery, masting, rigging ,etc. Let me know.

Thanks Dirk ;)

Nigel, don't worry, it will take a lot of time to prepare the kit. I suppose at least two years :)

Hi Anaga, thanks for the link, I will look at it. To your questions: 

1) Yes I plan to do also copper plating.

2) I use Turbocad

3) I combine more sources, the basic shape is after Mr. Crespo, but some details are for example after the period plan made in USA

I also plan to use Archangel figurehead instead of standard lion.

I would be very grateful if you would give me the information about the artilery, masting, rigginng and etc.. At this moment I plan to use for artilery information from this book:

http://www.libreriasespecializadas.com/libros/nautica/los-navios-espanoles-de-la-batalla-de-trafalgar-del-astillero-a-la-mar/9788480558341/

there are for example  drawings and dimensions of spanish guns from about 1796, but I know that the last rebuild was made shortly before Trafalgar so I am very interested in data from your sources ;)

Best regards

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Daniel,

When you have large carvings and also cannon wreaths like on the Dutch Yacht, how do you fasten them?

Glue (cyano/epoxy) to bare wood and then paint carefully?

Or mechanical fastening -- toothpicks... er... I mean tree nails -- with glue, to painted and/varnished wood?

Or some other means?

Ed

Hi Ed,

I glue all the resin or metal parts by cyano acrylate glue.

I everytimes try to paint simple parts before I complete the bigger group. Sometimes it may hapen that the painted part glued to the another painted part is not fasten enought so sometimes it is need to glue it one time more but for me it is better then painted it just after the glueing as I am not so skillful in painting :)

Best regards

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

In previous weeks I get new technology for printing cloth flags (it is polyester cloth) so I hope I will be able to replace with them the paper flags which I use now. I made some experiments with weathering. In the picture below are flags for prepared dutch Statenjacht with different level of weathering. 

Opinion of which level of weathering would be the best for using in the kits would be welcome  from anyone. 

Best regards

Daniel Dusek

post-16720-0-55917800-1460547396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

That's very cool Daniel!

I like all of them, but if I had to choose I would go with B, assuming a Statenjacht would have been well maintained being close to home.

For ships doing long distance cruising far from home, I would go for C.

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

It all depends. Could be any of them, depending on the level of the weathering of the ship itself.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!