HMS Alert 1777 - 1/64 by Lee

Thank you Druxey, Antony, John for your worm words.

Hi, Nick. I use general woodworking tools such as fret saw, razor saw, low angle block plane and shoulder plane. Special miniature planes, as posted at #90, are useful. I made miniature chisels with small flat screw drivers. Stationary cutting knife was also very useful for me. Hummm nothing special

Hi, Kurt. Thank you for your compliment and interest. This Alert is my third model ship building. The first one was "Azorean whale boat" and second one was "Marie Adelaide" the herring fishing boat at the northern Europe sea. Both of them were full framed scratch built and I think they are unique examples because I can't find any similar one from googling. Unfortunately, I have no chance of kit building and rigging yet. Alert is my first trial of battle ship and I hope I get a chance of rigging practice. Following photos are finished "Marie Adelaide" of unplanked version. I built her based on the basic plans from the book "Souvenirs de Marine (Amiral Paris)"

Cheers, Lee

post-14721-0-02071400-1426210161_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-87226800-1426210198_thumb.jpg

Edited by JK Lee

Lee I admire your patience and tenacity.  To do the things you do with just hand tools is inspiring to those who do not have the room or the funds to equip themselves.

David B

Thank you David. Yes, I like to work with hand tools but, I don't have tenacity of hand tool. I just want not to make any inconveniences to my neighbors with the noise from power tools. I live in an apartment... Of course, when I treat timbers, I use power tools and machines at the public workshop in my hometown.

Cheers, Lee

Edited by JK Lee

Lee,

that hering fishing sail logger Looks great, would like to see some more Close up shots....... Thanks...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lee, I continue to marvel at your hull planking! Do you have any pictures of a individual plank being made. Do you use any kind of jig to aide with controlling the change of depth approaching the bow. I've been reading everything I can find on full size lapstrake construction, but at model scale it is intimidating. I have a Veritas miniature block plane and it is a really beautiful tool. Next payday, I'll spring for the shoulder plane.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi, Kurt. I didn't use any jig but eye measurement. Just try and you will find the way.

Thank you, Nils for the interest about fishing ship. I add some more close up pics. The large capstan seems to be used to haul heavy fishing net. Actually, there was no information about the deck beam structures, so, I did them with imagination.

post-14721-0-23076400-1426470694_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-30619400-1426471056_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-96438000-1426471090_thumb.jpg

Edited by JK Lee

That is a beautiful looking model Lee,

and as you already mentioned a unique, well done scratch vessel, I like very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Upper deck progress

Up to now, 6th deck beam has fitted. Making small fittings takes much time. Windlass, fore companion way grating were placed. Small metal stove has been tried with Cu foil but the result was too shiny and unbalanced with surrounding wood color, so I'll remake it with blackened Cu foil.

Cheers, Lee

post-14721-0-14443700-1426652371_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-57869600-1426652395_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-98274900-1426652416_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-36052600-1426652454_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-95970200-1426652487_thumb.jpg

Wunderbar !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wunderbar !

Nils

From me to.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Upper deck progress

Up to now, 6th deck beam has fitted. Making small fittings takes much time. Windlass, fore companion way grating were placed. Small metal stove has been tried with Cu foil but the result was too shiny and unbalanced with surrounding wood color, so I'll remake it with blackened Cu foil.

Cheers, Lee

Again super update work Lee, and fab photos........

if you do`nt mind I`ll also get myself  a black blanket and adopt your background technique

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Metal stove, sailor room and 7th deck beam

With pre-blackened thin copper sheet, metal stove was remade. In this work, wood mold was used and the metal parts was joined with CA glue. The blackened result looks better than previous one. The sailor room was built between main mast and hatch. Metal hinges for the door and window were simulated with copper strip just for decoration.

Cheers, Lee

post-14721-0-99789000-1427677876_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-33152400-1427677897_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-89010600-1427677919_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-15207100-1427678089_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-91020800-1427678126_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-08451400-1427678175_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-92069200-1427678210_thumb.jpg

Hello Lee.

Your work continues to amazes me with nothing but total excellence.

Really outstanding craftsmanship at a small scale like this is a pleasure to cast my eyes on.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

beautiful work Lee,

stove, sailroom and deckbeams look amazing, very nicely done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lee, after seeing your work I feel like taking my model of the Benjamin W. Latham and putting it in the trash can. Outstanding work.

David B

Beautiful handcraft work Lee,

it must be real fun to assemble all those fine looking wooden joinings, and still the view into the ship and decks below is given, love this cutter build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Nils as always.

Hi Robin. Thank you for your interest on my build. For your question, I'm sorry but I could not catch your point due to my poor English. Anyway, I have very little knowledge about historical stove but I just follow the design of it as shown in Goodwin's book of ATOS. Cheers.

Edited by JK Lee

Hi Lee.

Truly amazing.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Really wonderful progress, Lee

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali