HMS Greyhound by homer - Corel - Scale 1:100 As appeared in 1720

​Hopefully I'm creating a new build log for my current build (my third ship) of the HMS Greyhound, 1:100 scale. I got it at ModelExpos' minimal price (I think) $69.00!!! Too good to pass up so I purchased it and added it to my stack of ships waiting to be built. I have quite a few waiting to be built safely tucked away in large sealed plastic containers in my garage on a rack. 

After completing my HMS Bounty by AL, which took almost two years I wanted to build something smaller that I might be able to complete quicker. So, I grabbed the HMS Greyhound out of the garage for my next kit. I've been hesitant to post anything on this kit because I'm embarrassed about how bad of a job I've done on it. My first kit, The Corsair came out well enough as a first build. I got a bit better and learned a lot more with the Bounty and then it all went to #@^&* on the Greyhound! 

First, let me say that it was / is the worst kit I've ever seen. Corel's parts, wood and especially instructions are absolutely terrible. I take some of the blame because I was anxious and time after time should not have moved forward until everything was correct. Bottom line, my frame went together a tad bit crooked. Then, I thought I could straighten it out as I moved on and then I planked the exterior and installed the gun ports (should have made my own). I noticed quickly that the instruction manual didn't match the separate large plan sheets that again, didn't match the picture on the box. 

Finally, out of desperation and disappointment I telephoned ModelExpo and they were very nice. They offered to send me a new keel and framework. While I shared in the mess up by finish planking the exterior, they asked me to pay for the veneers, which I thought was very fair. At first I said okay but before I hung up the phone I decided that I was over a month into it and didn't want to start over. I thanked ModelExpo for being so nice and decided to keep building and use this kit as (what I'll call) a practice kit to test different build methods. At least that is what I kept telling myself! Over the next couple months the project just kept getting worse. I was now out of scale. Family and friends kept saying it looks great. But, i knew anyone with any experience would notice things right off (why I don't really want to post it). 

I then took a look at this web site again since the crash (yes I was disappointed having lost my past build logs). I saw Ted Hamilton's build log on what started as the Greyhound and he encouraged me to keep going and sent me some build stats that did help. Since then I've tried to be more patient and rather than toss the thing in the trash (which I came close to doing a few times) I kept moving forward. The ship is not yet complete but for better or worse I'm still learning how to be a better craftsman. I've changed the ship from having too shiny an appearance to dulling it down and even painted Corel's shiny gold parts to a flat black. I personally liked the look better after doing this. I've decided to finish it up and not sure what I'll do with it as far as displaying it! Hopefully by swallowing my pride and posting pics of the build up to where I'm at now, you can see what I am talking about and try not to make the same mistakes. 

I have a lot of pics so I will start uploading a few at a time until I'm current. I will accept any advice as a learning experience that can only make me better. This is a great site and the people are even better! I'm happy to be a part of it even though I'm a novice. Ron 

post-4152-0-02888900-1417287659_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-45245400-1417287698_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-06562900-1417287725_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-07704700-1417287746_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-41168200-1417287772_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-75962200-1417287807_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-37372500-1417287823_thumb.jpg

More pics as I bring the build log up to date. As you will note, as I got further into the build I flattened out the shine look and painted Corel's gold pieces to flat black. Unfortunately, the bulwarks and deck gratings were not to scale. Pulling it apart would have made matters worse. This is when I decided to either throw the thing in the trash or continue building and use the ship build as something to practice on. 

This is what I have done and will finish it up. I am currently working on the upper rat lines and from this point will post pics as I go. There are not very many builds of the Greyhound out there so this is one of the reasons I'll swallow my pride and keep posting!

Again, while it is a poorly designed kit with inadequate and sub par build docs and wood, The full blame rests with me. I could have and should have researched the build further, bashed the kit, ordered better wood and replaced Corel's poor quality castings with my own builds. While this kit isn't Corel's best work, they do have some excellent kits and I have some waiting on the shelf to be built. What I don't understand is why Corel doesn't temporarily pull this product and make the appropriate adjustments. None the less, if you by the kit from a good vendor such as ModelExpo they will stand behind the product and replace parts. Course, they will replace the parts with the same poor quality parts from Corel. 

I shouldn't be so hard on Corel. I am interested in what other members think about their products. 

More pics as I bring the build log up to date. As you will note, as I got further into the build I flattened out the shine look and painted Corel's gold pieces to flat black. Unfortunately, the bulwarks and deck gratings were not to scale. Pulling it apart would have made matters worse. This is when I decided to either throw the thing in the trash or continue building and use the ship build as something to practice on. 

This is what I have done and will finish it up. I am currently working on the upper rat lines and from this point will post pics as I go. There are not very many builds of the Greyhound out there so this is one of the reasons I'll swallow my pride and keep posting!

Again, while it is a poorly designed kit with inadequate and sub par build docs and wood, The full blame rests with me. I could have and should have researched the build further, bashed the kit, ordered better wood and replaced Corel's poor quality castings with my own builds. While this kit isn't Corel's best work, they do have some excellent kits and I have some waiting on the shelf to be built. What I don't understand is why Corel doesn't temporarily pull this product and make the appropriate adjustments. None the less, if you buy the kit from a good vendor such as ModelExpo they will stand behind the product and replace parts. Course, they will replace the parts with the same poor quality parts from Corel. 

I shouldn't be so hard on Corel. I am interested in what other members think about their products. 

post-4152-0-39318300-1417365916_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-73897300-1417365983_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-19599000-1417366027_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-78099000-1417366059_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-90865600-1417366090_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-10659400-1417366139_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-17326700-1417366174_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-12341900-1417366222_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-63252900-1417366248_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-99538000-1417366294_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-30359300-1417366332_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-93751800-1417366386_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-18696200-1417366411_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-10640600-1417366444_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-25779100-1417366508_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-84840000-1417366555_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-56660000-1417366577_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-37702300-1417366628_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-76754400-1417366651_thumb.jpg

post-4152-0-01751400-1417366675_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Beautiful work. It looks like fun. Glad to hear you've started your Morgan we need more members in the Morgan Club. If you haven't done so you might wish to check out my Morgan website. Really looking good and welcome aboard.

John

http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 1 month later...

Hi John, good to hear from you. I have found your site indispensable! I refer to it all the time. Usually zooming in on something you've done that I'm working on. You are way ahead of me but this is a good thing! I get to follow a great ship builder and get insight about ways to accomplish a task. I just got my serving machine from Alexey. I've only practiced with it briefly. I'll need to get much better before I get to rigging. I still have to finish plating and then start some deck work. 

I keep looking at the Proxen tools and have wanted to get a lathe for a long time. How much do you have vested in yours??? I've been using my drill press and folding sandpaper and squeezing it until I get the shape and size needed. A little hot on the fingers and sometimes they snap.. then I do!!!!!  Taker care. Ron

Actually John... I was referring to my current build on the Charles Morgan!!! 

Hi Homer:

Wow - I think your Greyhound is turning out fantastic! You've definitely done a lot with this particular sow's ear. This kit is, indeed, atrocious. But you should not let it tarnish the Corel brand in your mind (for that matter, perhaps Corel should not have let it tarnish their brand). As I mentioned in my build log, I've built several Corel kits and have one (Bellona) on the shelf - all (save Greyhound) were of excellent quality. The Greyhound kit felt like it was rushed to market, and as such came with A LOT of problems - the style of plans was different from what Corel usually provides and while my wood stock was decent, the metal parts were pretty bad and the CNC parts were in many cases totally off - I noticed from one of your earlier photos that the bulkhead frames aft on your kit showed a similar inconsistency as mine had....

Anyway, there is a lot to overcome with this kit, but I think you've done a great job of wrestling it into a really fine form. And I would encourage you to build another Corel kit in the future and not let this one sour your experience. I think this one came out at the same time as their Eagle and Peregrine, so I would avoid those. But I've built the Toulonnaise, the Brittany Sloop and the Flattie, all of which were quite a bit of fun (though the Toulonnaise had some issue to overcome, too - nowhere near those I found on the GH), and the Bellona looks really top notch all around. 

Keep up the good work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy