Morning all,

As I'm new to ship building I was wondering if anyone out there can advise on a model magazine specific to model ship building, and have they found it useful ( it would be helpful if it's a publication I can get in Australia).

Cheers

Medic

Medic

There used to be and maybe there still are one or two.  I have not seen any in many years that actually help building models the way this site does.  Even those that were out there cannot compare to the information you get at this site.    You will get more new information from this site in a day than you will find a year's worth of magazine articles.   The building logs alone give more tips on how to than a magazine.  AND, if you do not understand a particular item, you can ask and get answers very quickly.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

allanyed has a good point but that said "Nautical Research Journal" of the Nautical Research Guild is a good place to start.  It covers both ship modeling and the history of ships.  There is a link to their homepage at the top of this page.  You might find "Ships in Scale" another good one to take a look at.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thanks guys,

I was at my local newsagents the other day and saw Model Railroader a monthly publication for train buffs, Fine Scale Models for the plastic kit Buffs, and even Figure International for the Miniature Buffs. All these publications also have some on-line medium, so I began to think what of those in this hobby that aren't IT Savvy? The closest I've come to is a publication called Marine Modelling International which is a fine publication but has a significant amount of remote control content not necessarily everyone's thing. Call me old fashion but I still like the idea reading print publications :D

So my question still remains is my search in vain, or am I to rely purely on reference books?

Cheers

Medic :huh:

Hi medic

Here in dear old blighty we have a choice of two regular magazines , model boats and marine modeling. Unfortunately they don't really cover period ship modeling thatwell,you get the occasional article , but most stuff appears to be rc and semiscale stuff. Not sure how available they are down under. You could always try eBay and buy some back issues of model shipwright ( back in the day it was a quarterly publication) they seem to be readily available and are full of really informative articles.

Cheers.....mick

I am old fashioned too, and prefer books to Kindal etc. However, the content to be found here is so much more comprehensive. You can spend hours checking out the content here. Nothing more dissapointing than to wait a month or more for a magazine to arrive only to find one or two relevent arcticles. Just my opinion.

Dave

Something about holding that book or magazine; works for me. :)

That being said, some kit producers in other hobby fields now do their instructions on CD or ask you to download off their sites. The nicest aspect is the instruction pictures are in color. How many of us have tried to interpret a grey scale picture to get correct part placement. And the instructions can be spelled out, instead of some cryptic phrases. Closer to a practicum. And I can prop the tablet/laptop on the bench and work from it. B)

It's another tool in your tool kit.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Medic,

Actually I do prefer paper when in the workshop, so try to have the appropriate books and  plans within reach of the work bench.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Medic, I have a few suggestions for you.  First, become a regular member of the Nautical Research Guild.  http://www.thenrg.org/join-the-nrg.php A subscription to The Nautical Research Journal is included as part of the membership.    The NRG also sells CDs of the Journal going back to Volume One. http://www.thenrg.org/the-nrg-store.php#!/The-Nautical-Research-Journal-On-CD/c/2719574/offset=0&sort=normal   Over the years there have not been many magazines devoted to our hobby.  Let's face it, there are at least 20 model railroaders for every one of us.  In the US, the only other ship modeling magazine not directed at the RC crowd is Ships in Scale.  But they have CD's of back issues available for purchase.  If I am not mistaken, they also sell CD's of Model Ship Builder which went out of business 10+ years ago but was a superb resource for our hobby.  Except for the RC ship modelers, ours' is a static hobby (no pun intended) so reading journal articles that are 10, 20 or even 50 years old is still relevant.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Medic, welcome aboard!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I would like to bring this topic back to the front again to see if there are any good magazines to subscribe to. I am already getting the Nautical Research Journal but thought it would be nice to get another monthly publication that covers ship modelling.  Any new magazines being published or existing ones worth subscribing to?

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

I guess that Ships in Scale would be my suggestion also. I have been getting their mag since 2000 and have been quite happy with it.  As a matter of fact I also decided to order the digital copies of the previous years and the digital copies of that Model Ship Builder mag that quit publishing awhile ago.  I only have a few copies of that one, but liked what I saw.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I would say the NRJ if you like how to build and how I built mine articles.  If looking for historical research that actually examines the construction and so on, don't bother, you won't find it there.  At best, there is a cursory history of the subject vessel before the how I built mine, but nothing like there used to be back when folks like Chapelle and his peers were contributors. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I was wondering if there is a good nautical history magazine folks could recommend.

I do have to say I read the NRG article on the development of Long Tom cannons and thought it was really well done.

I do find this site and the build logs here better, and more informative, than any magazine I've seen, and the pictures here are better than some of those that are published.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Probably the 2 best for historical research are Mariner's Mirror (Society for Nautical Research) and The Nirthern Mariner (Canadian Nautical Research Society).  While each has a tendency to highlight the home team, so to speak (SNR is from UK), they each cover a broad variety of topics. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

On 4/1/2017 at 0:27 AM, trippwj said:

I would say the NRJ if you like how to build and how I built mine articles.  If looking for historical research that actually examines the construction and so on, don't bother, you won't find it there.  At best, there is a cursory history of the subject vessel before the how I built mine, but nothing like there used to be back when folks like Chapelle and his peers were contributors. 

Some what true recently but there are a lot of articles about the history of specific ships and ship building in back issues of the NRJ.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get your hands on Model Shipwright, now out of print you will find a treasure trove of incredible models and building. The publisher also released 4 annuals, Shipwright, in 2010 through 2013 which are equally rich. They too have ceased the annual publication. Try a query to Conway Press in the UK. They may be of help.

Joe

Back issues of Model Shipwright are usually available through ABE (http://www.abe.com). When I am too old and feeble to model and have sold all my tools and books I shall have just the complete run of Model Shipwright on my nightstand to relive my glory days.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752