US Brig Syren by kscadman - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - first wooden ship build

Ok, in between cutting cloth for my hammocks I've started on my ships' boat. Lifts are glued, tabs are cut off and I sanded the basic profile shape. My question for those who have built a boat using the lift method. Am I getting the fairing right, especially toward the stern? I know I'm just getting started but I've learned that if I don't start off right then it will cause problems later. Also its my first time so I'm a little unsure about this step.

Attached are a few pics.

Richard

post-629-0-95810000-1405656280_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-64982100-1405656289_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-80525800-1405656296_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-48798100-1405656304_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-86010800-1405656311_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-29525100-1405656318_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-21773600-1405656325_thumb.jpg

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Looks about right.  Just keep going!  And don't try doing it all in one sitting.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well, I'm continuing to cut hammocks (I'm starting to rethink this hammock thing). I've been working on my long boat but I'm still a little skiddish about the curvature from midship to stern so I decided to make a jolly boat. I reduced the plans by 15% which gave me a beam of 6'-0" then I cut a section out and feathered the curve to get an overall length of 18'-0" once I add the keel. I kept the draft the same since I haven't found any information on what the draft should be.

The way I see it, if it works out then I'll have a jolly boat to add to the stern davits. If not, then I I've learned what not to do on my long boat. Attached are some pics. I still need to fair the lifts a bit more before I glue them together.

Richard

post-629-0-56080500-1405827981_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-17544000-1405827991_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-10563900-1405828000_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-84481600-1405828010_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-43438200-1405828053_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-13095600-1405828063_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-21544100-1405828070_thumb.jpg

You can never have too many boats!

Going back to our discussion on capstan bars, I came across an interesting photo on Trippwj's Essex log (posts 82-85) and posed a question to him about the length of the bars on his Essex plans.  You'll see he responded and may do some follow up.  Have a look:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5089-us-frigate-essex-by-trippwj-aeropiccola-170-scale-pob/page-6?hl=essex

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, you are correct. But in this case I'm not going to do the 24' Pinnacle. I'd like to get to my masting and rigging sometime this decade, lol. 

Thanks for the link to Waynes' build. I wonder if he was referring to the deck slats surrounding the capstan or he's taking a dimension from a different plan sheet. I'll keep an eye on his build.

Richard

• 5 weeks later...

Hammocks are progressing. I'm really starting to believe the expert in expert modeler means you've learned how to make a jig for the task at hand. lol. Attached is a picture of the jig I made for rolling and tying hammocks

post-629-0-45366800-1408501326_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Greetings all. Sorry I've been away for a while.

But I've made some progress on my ship. The long boat and jolly boat are coming along. In between sanding I decided to sand and stain the sweep oars. With that completed I can start on the boat oars.

I went thru a move and now I cant find my hammock cloth so they have been put on the back burner for now.

20170519_121529 - Copy.jpg

20170519_121554 - Copy.jpg

20170519_121606 - Copy.jpg

20170519_121625 - Copy.jpg

20170519_121645 - Copy.jpg

Nice looking boats.  Great to see your build log active.  I'll follow your work. 

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I have a Syren on the shelf. I'm hoping for lots of insight from the Syren builds both for the PdN and subsequent Syren build.  I'll be glad for advice  anytime you have some to offer.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Still sanding on my long boat, but I have made progress on my jolly boat. The sanding looks good and its an even thickness using the calipers. So I stained the interior and sanded the stained the wood for the framing, floorboards, thwarts and thwart supports.

I glued in the "keel" and first frames as well as did a rough gluing on the aft grate.

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

Hi Thomas, thanks for the welcome. I plan on hanging the jolly boat from the aft davits, like you would see on the Connie or the Essex. I'm not quite sure how or if they will interfere with the aft cannons but it looks like it will clear them.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is being made on the jolly boat. I've installed all the frames and dry fitted the first floor board. i'm not a 100% sure I have the frames right so any critiquing would be most welcome and appreciated.

Attached are the progress pictures.

Richard

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

My ships boat is starting to take shape. I finished and installed the grates, fore, mid and aft ringbolts and thwart supports. On to the thwarts!

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Thank you Thomas. I hope what I'm doing helps in your endeavors.

I've patterned this boat off of the 18" Yawl in the Anatomy of the ship Essex. But its becoming an amalgamation of the yawl and the ships boat for the Syren. The stern seat bench, thwarts, iron knees , mast clamp & step have been installed. Ive added the black trim for consistency. Now I need to work on the keel.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

Progress is going slow this week. I was able to get the trim installed and worked on making some oarlocks. I wasn't very excited about how the oarlocks looked so I'm seeing how wales would look. I formed the wales and I'm waiting to install them tonight.

IMG_0215 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0216 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0217 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0218 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0219 (640x480).jpg

The weekend has been fairly productive. I was able to get the backboard fitted and trimmed as well as installing the wales. All that is left is to cut out the oarlocks and stain and install the backboard. Attached are pictures showing its size and how it should look hanging from the davits.

I have 2 questions though;

1. Concidering the location of the fore ring bolt I'm not sure how I should fit out the bow? Or should I leave it as is?

2. Whats the best way to make the gudgeon straps? What material, etc.?

Richard

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

Gudgeons have been formed and dry fitted. (Sorry, upper gudgeon slipped when I took the picture) Need to get some CCA to install them. Then the ships boat should be done. From the research I've done it looks like all the accessories; rudder, mast oars, provisions were stored below decks until it was needed for usage.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

Based on the size of your jollyboat it looks a tad large for its use on a Brig like Syren.  This is probably why it may look awkward along the transom and not line up properly to be hanged.  I would have made one about  15% smaller.  Although Brigs like wasp were known to carry an 18 ft Jolly or Yawl, I probably would have gone with a 16 footer, if not for anything else but asthetics hanging from the davits.   But there are several examples of how to hang such a jollyboat off the stern.  Here is a simplified version on a model of Syren.  You might do a google image search for the Niagara as well because if memory serves me correctly the Niagara routinely carries one stored back there on its voyages...I am talking about the replica.   

ship-model-syren.jpg

I agree completely with you Chuck. I patterned it on an 18 foot yawl and it is exactly 18 scale feet. But you are right, I should of made it 16 feet. My ringbolts are 1/16" wider than where the blocks will hang on the davits. So as you said it will look a little odd

Yes, the Niagara does carry an aft boat during their voyages.

Thanks for the advice and I hope I'm doing her proud with my build.

Richard