Grand Banks Dory color

Hi Neil, thanks for responding. This is my first venture into building a large scale boat model as previous builds

were in 1/8 scale primarily for my pacific northwest model railroad. I chose the Grand Banks Dory to get my feet

wet in lap strake small boat modeling. Want to eventually build the Lincolnville Wherry.

My color idea comes from The Dory Shop site as they suggest this was a popular color for many fishing dories.

They say that the yellow shows up on dark water while the green trim shows up in fog. Seems reasonable to me.

Also, this same color is used on the dories aboard the L.A. Dunton at Mystic Seaport. 

I've already started the model. The instructions are very sparse and generated a lot of questions. Fortunately.

I attended the monthly meeting of our marine modeling club and got the answers that I needed. Will not be doing

a build log but may post a few pix as I go along.

My latest build is shown attached. A 1/8 scale kit from Inter-Action Enterprises. I love steam.

John Elwood

post-15982-0-90027900-1418519485_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-40753600-1418519532_thumb.jpg

Many years ago when I was a commercial fisherman, the traditional New England trawlers all had one or two dories carried on the top of the wheelhouse. These were almost all painted a buff color. Can't say why buff, but these trawlers were a direct descendent to the schooners you refer to.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I didn't do a build on this one as I had to trash my first attempt and start over. I chose this model

to get my feet wet in building large scale boats but primarily to gain experience in clinker built boats. My

biggest oversight with the dory was not realizing the importance of maintaining the curved bottom (rocker).

The rocker disappeared when I removed the frame from the template too soon. Tried to add the planks

with a totally flat bottom. Obviously lost the required sheer to attach the planks properly. 

Anyway, short of trashing what I did, I salvaged the frames, stem, transom and bottom and started afresh.

Now I had to get a couple of sheets of 1/32 basswood. My LHS was out of stock and no longer able to get

more from their supplier, Midwest. Apparently, Midwest no longer offers this. Next called Model Expo. Guess

what, they also cannot get this from Midwest, their supplier. Called Bluejacket and was able to get more. 

Thank you Nic.

Rather than ramble on about my frustrations, here are a couple of photos as she looks today. The inside

is stained with MinWax Golden Oak. Nothing else is painted. The oars were build according to plan and took

about an hour each. This is a great teaching experience. Hope to finish the model soon.

John Elwood

post-15982-0-80685200-1420381476_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-67792300-1420381529_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-91618500-1420381545_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-35616000-1420381559_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in Neil. Apparently you are the only one with a response. I

expect to finish up tomorrow except for the interior items. Will not be adding a

sail for now as it has taken enough frustration to get this far. Perhaps in the near

future. Will post a few photos tomorrow.

John 

John -  sorry I missed this.  I don't have a lot (or any) painting expertise, so I seldom look into this topic.  I built this guy a few years back after a couple of false starts on models that were much too complicated to take on with no experience.  I have a recollection of gluing my fingers together rather severely while putting the barrel together.

I'm afraid I can't help with your paint color question.  I did the hull white, and the interior a dark green color.  Like I said, not much experience with paint here. It looks like your build has turned out very nicely.  I like the natural wood interior, even if that isn't the way they normally did them.  The paddlewheeler came out very nicely too.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Bob And Neil....I took on this build to get acquainted with lap strake construction. In that respect I learned a lot. 

My biggest oversight was not maintaining the curved bottom correctly. My initial attempt was so bad I damned

near trashed the whole project. Wound up saving the bottom and all the frames and started over. Ordered more

basswood sheet and cut out new strakes. The end result was quite nice as pictured above.

I brush primed the hull with Floquil Gray Primer then applied two coats of Floquil SP Armour Yellow. The trim was 

painted Floquil Light Green. Was trying to closely match the color combination of those built at the Dory Shop

in Lunenberg, NS. Not quite correct but used what I had in my shop. 

This is a nice kit, a bit expensive, but not for the beginner. The instructions are severely lacking detail. Brush

painting the large basswood strakes is difficult to create a smooth finish. I'll pop off a few pix tomorrow to keep

you updated.

John

Here is the finished Bluejacket Grand Banks Dory hull. Used natural light coming in through

my living room window. Made the green trim a bit brighter than under my shop lights. Think

I'll just live with it. Still have to stain the oars and add a few interior details. Guess I should also

add the mast and the furled sail across the thwarts to complete the scene. I'll be getting some

help on that one.

Thanks for looking in. This build took way longer than anticipated.

John

post-15982-0-49347900-1420730602_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-81013100-1420730623_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-00519500-1420730651_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-79379400-1420730673_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...