I am building a model of the Mystery, a Mount's Bay lugger that sailed from Cornwall to Australia in 1854-55. Apparently the hull was plated with zinc before this voyage. I would appreciate whatever advice MSW members can give me about how best to model zinc plating. Thanks.

James

Edited by Jnorton1946

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.

That sounds like Muntz metal sheathing. This is a material composed of copper and zinc. It was used much like the earlier copper plating for underwater protection. To model it, it would be applied like copper sheathing on a model. The color might be a little more goldish that copper.

Russ

On the other hand, she may have been sheathed in pure zinc, as she was sheathed especially for the voyage and zinc plating may have been cheaper in Cornwall than either copper or Muntz metal.  Zinc is what's used in galvanizing, so it would be the colour of your humble tin can.

John

Most hardware stores sell galvanized steel sheets.  Galvanized is zinc plated and the steel is a mild (soft) steel.  It would be put on the hull the same as copper sheeting.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi, might I suggest copper plating the hull as Russ says, then painting the plates - either by brush or better still an airbrush - the colour that you are trying to achieve. I know that hobby stores such as Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle offer a mind blowing array of colours in both acrylic and enamel. I'm sure one would match the colour you are trying to achieve.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Zinc was indeed used in the mid-19th century as a cheaper (though less lasting) alternative to copper. It seems to have been particularly popular in the Baltic and for ships that did not venture out into the tropics, but only to southern European coasts. Zinc is toxic to certain species.

Zinc in seawater would attain a dull, powdery grey colour relatively quickly, owing to its relative inertness. This intentional corrossion would make it dfficult for 'fouling' to take a hold on the surface.

One had to take care that no less inert parts of the ship (such as propellers, rudder hinges etc. made from bronze) would come in contact with the seawater or otherwise the zinc would electro-corrode away. This is one reason why zinc was given up again soon as anti-fouling sheathing.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

"Zincs" are still used to protect modern boats from Galvanic corrosion. They are bolted to the hulls and or outboards and corrode away sacrificaly to protect the boats other metals. Generally they are replaced regularly. They are indeed a powdery grey color as they corrode.

Sacrificial anodes are what those zink hull mounted blocks are called. Zink is some good stuff but its fumes when heated are toxic. When welding or torch cutting galvinized anything, keep your nose out of the yellow smoke, milk is an antidote, helps you get over your headache quicker.

jud

Edited by jud

Instead of paint, you may want to try "Tinnit" http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/er-18/tinnit-bright-tin-plate/1.html

This is a simple dip which "plates" tin onto the copper traces of printed circuit boards. Use brass or copper sheathing and coat it with this stuff. If the copper is rough (sand blasted), it might avoid a too-bright finish... or coat it with matte lacquer.

Photo shows Tinnit applied to machined brass fittings.

post-4253-0-91732500-1419615298_thumb.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

After long looking for colour of Muntz metal, I make this

post-4738-0-93856900-1419620085_thumb.jpg

Little cheating is present, but I think I have got 90% of present look and colour of hull of Cutty Sark. Maybe helps

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Muntz-metal is a kind of brass, i.e. an alloy of copper and zinc. Zinc sheathing uses … zinc.

I know this. My post is about possible idea about "how to ..."

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 1 month later...

This is a follow-up to my query about zinc plating.

To simulate zinc plating on my Mount's Bay lugger model, I ended up using aluminum foil tape purchased at a local big-box building supply store. According to the manufacturer, the adhesive on this duct repair tape was good for a wide range of temperatures, from below freezing to well above boiling, so I figured it would sick all right to the smoothed, primed hull of my model. I cut scale rectangles to represent the 14" by 48" plates, and embossed them around the edges using a pounce wheel to represented the nail heads. I realize that this is not quite correct or realistic, since the nail heads would have been flush with the surface of the plates, or even recessed a little, but I felt that the visual effect of slightly raised nails was important to the overall look of the model. The aluminum foil tape was very shiny, but all it took was a spray with Dullcoat to give the plates a pewter-like appearance, close enough to the appearance of zinc plates.

Below is a photo of the hull, after finishing the application of the plates and spraying with Dullcoat. As I worked up from the keel and forward from the stern, I let the plates follow the curve of the hull, but the topmost row was applied along the waterline. In the photo, the rudder is in place, sheathed with foil plates below the waterline to match the hull, but has not yet been sprayed with Dullcoat. The effect of the Dulcoat on the shiny aluminum plates is clearly apparent.

post-1394-0-45955200-1423521616.jpg

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.