US Brig Oneida 1809 by rlb - The Lumberyard - 1:48 scale - POF - Lake Ontario Warship

Very nice Ron, I like the way this little cutter looks one of these days I would like to tackle one myself. You are setting a very hight standard though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you everyone for your comments, likes, and just looking in.  I appreciate the encouragement and support!

Whether it be the moon, the odiferous vinegar stain solution, or hunkering down from the bitter cold in upstate New York, work on the cutter is still at a standstill.

I look at it every day, however, and I hope to be back at it soon.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to say, Ron, that your build is an inspiration for myself and - no doubt - many others. 

My Syren kit just arrived and although it will be my first build, I intend to add various levels of additional detail and do some element of scratch building of minor parts where I feel confident enough in order to get my skills up. Little things matter, and your blog has given me some very good ideas around how to construct the sheaves in the bullwarks, build the catheads, etc.

Very impressive and thank you!

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Marsares,

Thank you very much for your comments.   I wish you good luck building your Syren.   As you mentioned it's your first build, I'll just say Don't Rush!   The kit and Chuck Passaro's instructions are first-class; take your time and enjoy it. 

Ron

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Once again, I've had a substantial lull in progress.  I have replaced images in the more recent part of my log that went AWOL.   I hope to start advancing work on the cutter, soon.

Ron

I look forward to your updates Ron. We all go through the lulls and being asked "why?" is never a very useful question...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Alistair,

In response to your subtly (or not so) asked "why?", I can only respond: "I don't know!"

Psychologically, though, it probably is a useful question. 

Rest assured, I will take up the model again.   I've been observing some other ship's boats being built by B.E. and others, and it's making me think I just need to finish the damn thing.

Ron

Hi Ron

I certainly wasn't asking you "why?". I was implying that some people here push others to carry on and ask for updates when the builder has their own personal reasons for not wanting to, or being unable to, or being in a "I don't know" state to carry on for the time being. Whenever you are back at it is when you are back at it and I'll never push you, or anyone else here, for an explanation. It is each to his own. That is what I was trying to say.

My own lull is due to going around in circles trying to fix tiny issues and not being able to get on with the big bits that progress the model. Like a writers cramp - trying to fix the last chapter and instead making it worse when I should be starting the next. If you know what I mean...Anyway whenever you are back at it I'm sure there are many here - me included - who will relish it.

Best regards

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I myself spend hours, over days, which fade into weeks, watching others without progressing myself. Although lulls in building that appear that way outwardly, often are rather busy in our own minds, making decisions and working through obstacles, both perceived and real. Learning by watching others.
I'm completely satisfied with Ron's "I don't know" as it make completely good sense to me.

All I know is that I'm thankful for all that Ron has shown and taught me about building, of the greatest things, I think the fact that patience and perseverance lead to quality is one of the best learned from his build. I'm sure his build log is worth another reread, the good ones are :)

All I know is that I'll be here when "I don't know" becomes pictures again, quality is worth the wait.

Hi Ron -- Glad to hear you're getting geared up.  Like plenty of others, I enjoy seeing your fine work.  And I can appreciate how lulls happen (which I think amounts to saying, how no-happenings happen).

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Martin W

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 1 year later...

Tim,

Thanks for looking in, and your compliment.   I have not forgotten Oneida, she sits waiting quietly on my work table.  Although I'm just repeating what I said well over a year ago, I hope to get back to building "soon".  

Ron

Guest Tim I.

I recently purchased the kit, and am looking forward to building it in the future. I hope you do not mind if I use your build log as a primer to follow.

Thank you,

Tim

• 3 years later...

Greetings, everyone.   Soon didn't turn out to be soon.  It's inconceivable to me that it has been three years since I last worked on Oneida.

But here is something new, work continues on the ships boat--

On the left is my first attempt at the bow platform--disastrous.  Then I got a little smarter and made a heavy paper template, made up of a central shape fitting within the frames, and then gluing pieces on to create the notch spacing, as I test fit it.  On the right is the new blank to be cut--

1934566501_Oneida2018-12-271.jpg.f178488c16f6f503453dc90a17dcbd61.jpg

Next is the template traced on the blank--

588660372_Oneida2018-12-273.jpg.a296f2d14f7b844225bc86ad504a2eee.jpg

And in place--

1731619605_Oneida2018-12-274.jpg.6e091e22c6ec95a81fe22dccbc4e0606.jpg

Then I carved and sanded two supports that will be used to house the boat on the ship's deck--

1319075050_Oneida2018-12-275.jpg.932de56f8291905d25e67e2bdf0af864.jpg

1741678076_Oneida2018-12-276.jpg.02132c6612cfd4425bef52584b7b4ffe.jpg

That's all for now

Ron

Ron:

Very nice work. Glad to see you back at it. 

Russ

Hello Ron,

When a small boat looks so graceful, who wants to build anything bigger?

I thought you´d like to know I still have the early part of your build log on my hard drive.  378 pages in all, 72,6 Mt saved as pdf. Just in case you cannot find your pics.

Edited by andante
Typo

Thank you Russ and Martin, nice to hear from you both.

Andante, thanks.  Good to know you have a record!  

Work continues on the cutter.   I've spent just a little time most days this week.  At least it's progress!

Making the seats and thwarts--

159271211_Oneida2018122A.jpg.f6ab150d0ef9a22e2d4307b0b88ac557.jpg 

They are test fit here, not glued yet--

905728754_Oneida2018122B.jpg.9e34fc7e7e8e37227e5b6703b77785c8.jpg

Still many parts to make.

Ron

Do-overs.

I wasn't happy with the way I did the seats and thwarts.  I followed a mixture of sources, but after studying more examples, it seemed a mess. And I don't know where I came up with the shape of the thwart that supports the mast.  It seemed reasonable when I made it, but not so much now.

I made another template for the seats.  This time I will cut out the frame notches (as I will for the thwarts also).  I hoped that I could re-use the side seats, as they were wider than I liked (now with notches cut in, they would, in effect, become narrower).  The back seat will have to be a new piece.  Also, take note of the mast step sitting there in the boat, not glued yet--

1109906758_Oneida2018126A.JPG.05c9b61151bdaa1b1a0161ed4d6fb801.JPG

Instead of laying the side seats on top of the back seat, as in the previous version, I wanted to make a single u-shaped bench--

14959626_Oneida2018126B.JPG.4f60e78a4cdac9ce36f986c1b374d920.JPG

And instead of the simple rolled edge that I had made for the seats and thwarts before, I opted for a more detailed, scraped profile edge--

2129255126_Oneida2018126C.JPG.3f09d736fe38a6490252e73210e93c00.JPG

So far so good--

1004588941_Oneida2018126D.JPG.a745da286073a0c54721af3f2a1dd9a9.JPG

2074831295_Oneida2018126E.JPG.81f9fbd6b1ff41fae8d19b5942cd976c.JPG

Unfortunately, during the numerous test fittings, the little mast step piece went missing.  So, unless I miraculously find it, that will be another do-over.

Ron

Ron:

Nice details. I like the edge detail on the seat. Your use of hand tools always gets me thinking. :)

As for the mast step, I would go ahead and make a new one. You might find the other one, but it would take longer than it would to make a new most likely. :) That is how these things always work for me. 

Russ

Ron, I have followed your build since the beginning, I often reread the entire log as an inspiration and I always learn something new, I am so glad you have decided to continue, to create such a great model with so few tools is a testament to your craftsmanship and your problem solving abilities

Ed

Hello Ron!

Great to see one of my all time favourite MSW builds back up and running! Looking forward to seeing how she develops! The cutter looks great and will look even better lashed to the deck of your gorgeous Oneida.

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks, Russ.

Ed (Ebomba) and hamilton, I'm glad you are still here to follow the continuation of this model.  I now feel a strong desire to finish, so I hope it will keep moving.

Here's just a tidbit, hopefully I'll have more to post sometime this weekend.  Rough cuts of the thwarts, and notice I have cut back the bow piece to more closely match the layout  sketch I originally made on the plug--

923648414_Oneida20181207A.JPG.db3ae1316d3cf0afa0621f5edffb4b5c.JPG

I keep looking on the table, and the floor, for the AWOL mast step (It's GOT to be here SOMEwhere), but as you said Russ, It'll be quicker to just make another one.  Dang.

Ron

Edited by rlb

The third try on the mast support thwart was acceptable--

266444669_Oneida20181208A.JPG.67dd334a86e7306cf293639a09fc9abf.JPG  

44664098_Oneida20181208A1.JPG.938dcdae9e69a35982c240f69a608f1f.JPG

For the first two, I glued a small piece on to the standard width thwart.  Easier to shape that way.  On version 1 the wood matched perfectly, you can't tell it's added on.   But I didn't like the shape, or the rolled edge of the thwart.  On the second, the color didn't match well, and you could see a slight joint gap because I didn't have the faces perfectly square, (light sawdust is filling the gap in in the photo).  The shape is okay, but the final straw was when I chipped a part of it trying to speed things up with a blade instead of a file.

On the third try, I started with a wider piece--obviously more material to remove, so a slightly more complicated process, but successful in the end.  

The thwarts have been shaped and cut around the frames--

1221181029_Oneida20181208B.JPG.a4a1e559abe971652d00c796b2095693.JPG

Making another mast step--

18054056_Oneida20181208C.JPG.894986b5cf3b8ddbb1e0ac2de4ca1ddb.JPG

606830092_Oneida20181208D.JPG.fceb33099435c2ff3ee6800f2877c886.JPG

Here's how Oneida's boat looks after cutting the edge profile on the thwarts and fitting them in place (not glued yet).  This time, I will not cut the mast step from it's "handle" until I'm ready to glue it!--

1644859608_Oneida20181208E.JPG.4a04aad4cdfbf3ce0e2cc087fdf50fe5.JPG

The angle and shadows of this photo do a really good job of hiding a lot of imperfections!   Believe me, they are there.

Next will be making the rudder, some iron work, and the oars.  I'm also starting to cook up another batch of ebony stain for the "gunnels" on this boat, and while I'm at it, the deadeyes for the ship.

Ron

Edited by rlb