Fair-A-Frame Building Jig

irishjohnny98

Have look here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/materials_and_tools/ToolsNotToBotherWith.pdf   The general answer that's been posted many times is:  save your money.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Junk,  just get some good square wood blocks and a mini carpenter / engineers metal square and some small clamps and you can do anything that does.

even a good metal ruler can be used to check the part, then wood blocks to hold the part till it sets.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

As mentioned in other posts on this site, LEGO blocks and clamps work well for squaring a frame. They are, by design, very flexible and perfectly square.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Have look here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/materials_and_tools/ToolsNotToBotherWith.pdf   The general answer that's been posted many times is:  save your money.

Thank you sir. My plan is to research this hobbie and hopefully invest in needed supplies intelligently  You;ve given me a step up in knowledge.

if you are getting started and such I would say to get some stripwood and some thin plywood to make a practice hull for learning to plank the hull.

I think each time I start to do a new hull I get better at it; if I had known I would have made a practice hull and used it several times over...

it's not super hard to do "OK" but I see other hulls and drool.

also tying the ropes,  even spend some time with some  house hold cordage and see how the different knots are done at full size.

then work down to the thread sizes used on models.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat