Sign in to follow this  
irishjohnny98

Fair-A-Frame Building Jig

Was wondering if this, as advertised, Fair-A-Frame Building Jig is worth the investment. Anyone have some experience with this, if so, may I have your opinion on the matter? Thanks   post-16965-0-35394800-1418931955.jpg   post-16965-0-35394800-1418931955.jpg Hmmm, this photo leaves much to be desired. New to this forum, much to learn......

Junk,  just get some good square wood blocks and a mini carpenter / engineers metal square and some small clamps and you can do anything that does.

even a good metal ruler can be used to check the part, then wood blocks to hold the part till it sets.

As mentioned in other posts on this site, LEGO blocks and clamps work well for squaring a frame. They are, by design, very flexible and perfectly square.

flying_dutchman2 likes this

if you are getting started and such I would say to get some stripwood and some thin plywood to make a practice hull for learning to plank the hull.

I think each time I start to do a new hull I get better at it; if I had known I would have made a practice hull and used it several times over...

it's not super hard to do "OK" but I see other hulls and drool.

also tying the ropes,  even spend some time with some  house hold cordage and see how the different knots are done at full size.

then work down to the thread sizes used on models.

irishjohnny98 and WackoWolf like this