De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

Final protection by varnish (also by Royal Talens)

After several months drying, I apply

- Talens picture varnish matt 003 for all surfaces

and

- mixture of 1:1 picture varnish matt 003 with picture varnish glossy 002 on all decorations. In the reality, the decorations have been painted glossy in order to simulate gold, but on the model, the 100% glossy does not look real. So, a semi-matt shade looks much better and more realistic.

I apply final coat by airbrush. This removes partly the brush strokes or imperfections, by at the same time keeping the surface real (because of previous hand-brush application).

Drazen

2019-01-13 (2).jpg

2019-01-13 (3).jpg

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

... and this is the final result on the ship.

The ribbon and small windows have been assembled too.

I will need to correct the paint on some small areas. This has been peeled due to the pressure when glueing, but this is no problem.

Finally, I want to mention, that the benefit of beautiful colour of oil paint has to be taken relative in comparison with a very difficult procedure, very long drying time and low resistance to mechanical stress. Still, I will proceed with oil paints.

Drazen

2019-01-20 (1).jpg

2019-01-20 (2).jpg

simply masterful!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Beautiful work, although you missed out how you actually carved the scroll and acanthus leaves, the nail router is a great idea also

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

8 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Stunning carved work, Drazen!  Also an excellent tutorial on prep and paint for wood surfaces.

Is another purpose of the gesso to sort of smooth any irregularities in the carved surface?

Well, the gesso did actually add some imperfection in the already smooth surfaces of the carving. It is also very hard to grind gesso. So, once you get a surface, that is it. More "smoothing" has been done by GAC100. Still, this medium did close some very fine details, but not a big problem as you see on the photos. That is also the reason why I will try to go on with shellac.

With this said, no positive effect of these layers, but you need to apply them with oil paint. Otherwise you get other severe problems. The "only" extremely positive effect of gesso is the brilliance you get out of the oil paint. It is so shining, so alive, that I was very surprised of the difference between the direct painting on the wood and on the white primed surface.

Drazen

7 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Beautiful work, although you missed out how you actually carved the scroll and acanthus leaves, the nail router is a great idea also

Regards

Paul 

Paul,

please, scroll back to the 13. April 2018. You will find there and after this date many hints and photos on how I did the ribbon and the single letters.

I was using mostly the dentist's drill and only seldom the manual self-made carving knives. Here, with this decoration, I think, I did not use manual tools at all.

Painting of the ribbon and letters after 16. September 2018.

Drazen

Stunning work Drazen, bravo!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 3 weeks later...

The wales are now installed on the ship.

I needed to make a slope on the upper side of the wale, so water does not collect there. You see the masking tape against damaging the planks and the small grinding blocks I had been using.

Drazen

2019-02-16 (9).jpg

2019-02-16 (2).jpg

2019-02-16 (1).jpg

... and the gunport lids have been made in the same step too. When closed, they fit now nicely to the outer surface. The gunports on the lower deck will be mostly closed (port) or just slightly opened (starboard). The upper decks will have most of the gunports opened.

Drazen

2019-02-16 (5).jpg

2019-02-16 (3).jpg

2019-02-16 (4).jpg

2019-02-16 (6).jpg

2019-02-16 (7).jpg

2019-02-16 (8).jpg

2019-02-17 (1).jpg

... actually, the gunports have been made not so different as on the real ship. I think also the 1:10 model in Lelystad was using the templates to get the same size of the gunports.

You may study my photos from 2013 to understand how I got the same angle, parallelism, etc.

Drazen

Hi Y.T.,

I am sorry. I'm afraid I do not understand. Please, try to go to the date February 11th 2015 and after it. There, I explain how I did the outer planking on the gunport frames. It is hand made - every single plank, not cut out of the frame/planking. Actually, the frame shall make a labyrinth-like closing with the gunport lid. Therefore, the outer planking has a slightly wider frame than the massive inner frame of the gunport. You see it also on the gunport lids when they will be ready. Inside of the ship, the gunport frame is flush with the inner planking (the deck-side).

I hope, this is what you meant.

But, if I am wrong, please come back to me. I did post all essential steps and technologies. It has to be here listed somewhere.

Drazen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Drazen,

now I have been following the construction of your model for a while and I really have to congratulate you for this fantastic work! It's always nice to see more progress and I'll stick with it. 

Cheers, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Perfect work and look!

Ve výstavbě: Pinase 1660 - 1670                                                   Můj web : https://kopape.webnode.cz/

Dokončeno:  Grosse jacht 1678                                         

Janita 18. století   

Golden Hind 

Jadran

Santa Maria

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work Drazen.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 months later...

Doing the base for the side galleries...

I did a small observation mistake resulting in a 5-6mm error in the heigh of the joint at the "slingerlijst". The plan observes the side galleries from the side and parallel with the waterline. I transferred the drawing onto the base directly which was few degrees more than the 0° - due to the slightly tilted base of the side galleries (it is something like 8° on my model). This i did only on the side galleries, but the tower has ben done right. Due to my cross section from the stern, the form of the side gallery was right and I needed to compensate only the heigh of the gallery-plank which is joining the slinger plank. Now, it is OK, but in spite of all brain work, such things happen. The big problem is that the plans I use have no cross sections and no top view of the side galleries, so I needed to combine the Otte Blom's drawings (which, frankly, differ from each other) and my observation of the van de Velde paintings.

Let's go...

Drazen

... than the curvature from front/stern view... and than the shapes in between (under 45°). One can easily control the shape by following the joint-/gluing-line of the original pieces of wood.

Drazen

2019-06-08 (1).jpg

2019-06-08 (2).jpg

2019-06-08 (3).jpg

Edited by Drazen