De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

I like the side view of the Stern and just gave me good idea how to develop/create and put together my stern on De Statenjacht Utrecht (first scratch).

Thank you.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After months, I have get some yellowing on the places where the CA glue has been applied. Maybe someone knows how to remove the yellow shade - without making parts new?

Please, see the link:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9817-ca-glue-got-yellow-after-months-any-hints-how-to-repair/

Drazen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

Beautiful work Drazen.  What wonderful looking lines she has.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

.. I have turned the ship upside-down in order to get it easier with the planking and fixed it to the table. The table I can still move for reaching different sides of the hull.

… definitely not as Dutch had been building ships, but much easier for me ^_^

Drazen

post-1930-0-09752700-1426520852_thumb.jpg

Next, I made a rough recess for the false keel. This recess will fix the keel additionally. Than, I did the rabbet for the garboard strake.

Than, I have grinded the keel – brought it to the right width all over the length.

Drazen

post-1930-0-46435600-1426983056_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-94239100-1426983066_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-54602200-1426983082_thumb.jpg

That looks very nice Drazen but I don't understand how to use it  :(  Hey, I'm an airplane guy - - - no planking on airplanes  ;)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well, this is pure mathematics - the “theory of similarity”:

If you want to divide any length in identical (or not identical) parts, you can draw this wished division on a wished line, which is not in the same scale as you need.

Then, you draw the connection lines to a smaller or bigger scale – so your scale is somewhere in between, or to a point on the paper (in my case, the point will give lower accuracy). From this paper (see photo), you can take (cut out) any length you need which represents the length of the outer line on the hull. What you do, is to measure the length on the hull with a piece of paper and transfer this length onto this diagram – so, that you search that the measured length fits to the number of the lines of planks you want to have. In my case, I have calculated that I need 20 plank widths. So, I see where the length fits to the length from 0 to 20. Then, I cut there with a knife and use it as a template to mark the 20 times the same high of the planks on the hull. This I repeat for every bulkhead or wished perpendicular line.

In my case, I need same divisions for the planking - what historically may not be 100% correct, but looks better on the model and during the planking process, the width of the plank lines will be not exact anyhow.

Another procedure to divide the outer line of the hull in eg. 20 is by measuring the length again with a piece of paper and dividing it on a calculator and add them one after another onto the hull. Then, you have a problem that you are adding the eventual mistake when 20 times measuring and marking. There are some further methods as well.

Anyhow, this method seems to me the most simple to get exact division to any length you need. This template, one can print out on a printer several times. I was marking today and needed some 6 to 8 papers for all bulkheads.

Many words… and I hope it is clear…

I am also an airplane guy – really; focused on scale 1:48 from the beginning of aviation till end of WW2.

Drazen

Thanks Drazen for the explanation, I understand - not bad for an airplane guy, 1:1 scale  ;)

I agree with Peter Hollom on the green color - but - - - Remco is inquiring for me in Holland  as to what color green they traditionally use for their houses and windmills.

I have used Windsor & Newton Permanent Green Madder, which matches the color photos I have from old buildings in Holland.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it is a matter of taste, but i don't thnik this number of drop- planks is how the duth did it.

As far as I understood, the planks just below the wales didn't makeit all the way to the stern, giving room for the others to get to the stern. Check pictures of the william rex model to see what I mean.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Jan,

I am not sure if I understand what you mean.

I was going through Vasa, Ab Hoving’s books, Herbert’s plastic model, Hohenzollern model (Winter), Monfeld’s book, but I did not check the William Rex since do not have any good info there. Do you have any example, that you can post?

The only doubt I had was if to “drop” the neighbored planks as some literature shows, but I got nice lines by dropping every second plank.

What do you mean under “giving room for the others to get to the stern”?

Here a photo of a dropped neighboured planks.

Drazen

post-1930-0-31712300-1429046374_thumb.jpeg

btw the PInas has three or four dropplanks, all lying next to each other: the lower 6 or seven strakes go from stern to stern, the upper three do, and everything in between is a dropplank, either up front, or at the back. That PInas-ship in Den Helder shows a lot of planking features that are 'against the rules'

(Do you have access to 'segelschiffsmodellbau.com'? There is a nice number of pictures of that PInas-wreck in Den Helder on that forum. like the one below)

Unfortunatedly, the ship is in a large glass box, so almost all pics have heave reflections of the surroundings

Jan

post-176-0-76477800-1429095384_thumb.jpg

Edited by amateur

Jan,

I was discussing this topic with Ab some time ago. From my understanding, the rules are anyhow for Dutch not that strict, but more – the practicality is important… and not to do “stupid” things.

What I did, was to set the keel planks first. The most difficult is the garboard strake as it is twisted twice - also on the stem. I was trying to give them all a natural and less possible bent first. I did this all with a plastic plank since one can feel the tension and how far you can stress the material.

Then, after 4 to 6 planks, I moved to the planks below the 1st lower whale ad did few planks there. Seems this is the way as described in several literatures if I am not wrong.

Then, I did the steeling planks/drop planks as it fitted best. Funny, I did not need to add any plank on the stern – it just went well and not to wide. Exception: the garboard strake and the next one are wide at the end, but the replica has it too – part on the stern just over 70cm!

If you look at the wreck, it is a beautiful example how we can do exact job, but in the past, things have been made as it would be easy. Even the one dropped plank on your photo is made in “english way” – stealing from both neighbored planks – at least Mondfeld shows it in his book as a rule.

Attached: the low stern section of planking.

Drazen

post-1930-0-40574500-1429103426_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-48309200-1429103474_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-17965300-1429103550_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

wow!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 7 months later...