Drazen

De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

Final protection by varnish (also by Royal Talens)

After several months drying, I apply

- Talens picture varnish matt 003 for all surfaces

and

- mixture of 1:1 picture varnish matt 003 with picture varnish glossy 002 on all decorations. In the reality, the decorations have been painted glossy in order to simulate gold, but on the model, the 100% glossy does not look real. So, a semi-matt shade looks much better and more realistic.

I apply final coat by airbrush. This removes partly the brush strokes or imperfections, by at the same time keeping the surface real (because of previous hand-brush application).

Drazen

2019-01-13 (2).jpg

2019-01-13 (3).jpg

... and this is the final result on the ship.

The ribbon and small windows have been assembled too.

I will need to correct the paint on some small areas. This has been peeled due to the pressure when glueing, but this is no problem.

Finally, I want to mention, that the benefit of beautiful colour of oil paint has to be taken relative in comparison with a very difficult procedure, very long drying time and low resistance to mechanical stress. Still, I will proceed with oil paints.

Drazen

2019-01-20 (1).jpg

2019-01-20 (2).jpg

8 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Stunning carved work, Drazen!  Also an excellent tutorial on prep and paint for wood surfaces.

Is another purpose of the gesso to sort of smooth any irregularities in the carved surface?

Well, the gesso did actually add some imperfection in the already smooth surfaces of the carving. It is also very hard to grind gesso. So, once you get a surface, that is it. More "smoothing" has been done by GAC100. Still, this medium did close some very fine details, but not a big problem as you see on the photos. That is also the reason why I will try to go on with shellac.

With this said, no positive effect of these layers, but you need to apply them with oil paint. Otherwise you get other severe problems. The "only" extremely positive effect of gesso is the brilliance you get out of the oil paint. It is so shining, so alive, that I was very surprised of the difference between the direct painting on the wood and on the white primed surface.

Drazen

7 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Beautiful work, although you missed out how you actually carved the scroll and acanthus leaves, the nail router is a great idea also

Regards

Paul 

Paul,

please, scroll back to the 13. April 2018. You will find there and after this date many hints and photos on how I did the ribbon and the single letters.

I was using mostly the dentist's drill and only seldom the manual self-made carving knives. Here, with this decoration, I think, I did not use manual tools at all.

Painting of the ribbon and letters after 16. September 2018.

Drazen