De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

Hi Drazen,

You should have a look at the famous book by Witsen: plate XXXV: there he shows that the main capstan is resting on a heave beam one deck below (the visser). The part which you see does not bear the full weight of the capstan.

Witsen is not very clear in showing the construction of this visible part. The drawing suggest lengthwise (like in Wasa). Hoving follows that in his reconstruction of the Pinace.

Also: picture 34 in the book by Winter: lengthsie, not resting on the schaarstooken, but on the deckbeams

(and check Winters lengthwise cross section drawing: the main capstan (which is actuaal one deck lower than in ZP) has its visser restng on the keel, the forward capstan has it as a large piece of wood, attached under the deckbeams of the main deck.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hello, 

stumbled on this excellent build log today. Im building the Friesland, and I am wondering what technique was used for weathering/painting the wood as seen on the pictures in post #142. Based on years of miniature painting experience I can get the metal ornaments done in such fashion, but I am less experienced with treating/painting wood, so I have no clue how that effect was achieved, with the different tones/shades/hues in the shadows etc.

Can someone provide me some pointers? Thank you!

Chris

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

Chris,

first to clear the one thing. The model on the pictures in the post #142 is not a wodden, but a plastic one, made by a Dutch  company Artitec. No serial kit, but a prototype/single model.

Still have interest to know how they did it? Than, you may ask there (www.artitec.nl). I have no info on the painting technique applied on this model. Please, come back to me if you need more info

Dražen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

I took the gratings out before painting/coating the decks. The cross parts are not beveled as they shall be (also not on the frame where they lay), but this is hidden/not seen on the model - so I did not make it.

Dražen

post-1930-0-39171700-1395269713_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-43789800-1395269746_thumb.jpg

Hello Dražen,  that's magnificent decking !!!  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Dražen that deck hatch surround sir is some of the crispest joinery that I have seen. beautifully executed.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you guys. We are giving our best ;)

Now, it will be funny since the whole contents of the upper deck shall be made and installed in place before the half decks can be made: guns, ropes, every single datail...

Dražen

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have decided to proceed with the keel and planking first. After this is ready, I will do the railing.

Here are the parts for the sternpost and stem. I have cut them out and some of the parts are ready to be assembled.

Dražen

post-1930-0-32466800-1396820228_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan,

Well, I do not have any detailed info in my plans about which parts are included in the sternpost and stem, but I went through Ab’s book Shipbuilding by Witsen and Dik’s 7P, looked at Wasa, Blom’s drawings, and the Model by Herbert Thomaesen. Finally, most of the info I got from the replica, which definitely has a triangle on the sternpost, but also the front parts on the stem are on the replica built in the way you see on my last photo above.

According to that, I see that there are often simplifications on the stem construction (e.g. model by Herbert) but, as my model is relatively big, I will do it more exactly and show the particular parts of the construction: The white paint below water line, I will airbrush or put thin layers, so will hopefully see the “puzzle” beneath the paint.

Dražen

Last year I built a pair of loudspeakers. Now, I can use the wood I cut out for the speakers and can bring the sandpaper on it – practical for 90°grinding. Good I didn’t throw it away...  :)

Dražen

post-1930-0-03262000-1397422848_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-56614900-1397422849_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I started to make the false wales before I start the planking.

It turned out that a flexible plastic is much better for this purpose than a wood. The bending was very easy with a hot air gun and the curvature easier to control than with a piece of wood bent on the steam. This was just the experience I made.

Dražen

post-1930-0-83125700-1399502281_thumb.jpg

Today I finished them all and will next start planking. Here are some photos how it does look like.

Controlling the line with slightly adjusting the nails appeared to be an efficient technique.

Dražen

post-1930-0-07019500-1399502681_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-59114700-1399502683_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-07640800-1399502686_thumb.jpg