irishjohnny98

Permission to come aboard (Hand salute)

I'm an avid sailer and own a 32 foot Morgan sloop. Unfortunately, in this latitude, I have to put ma'lady up on the hard in the winter months. After well over fifty years working, I'm finally retired and have the time to indulge in one of my bucket list goals; wooden model ship building. I've been scanning this site and marvel at the wonder of it. Truly, this is a capital forum for learning. I'd like to thank the powers that be who made this possible and the good natured folks who respond, helping guppies like myself, with sorely needed advice.  Slainte (In the Irish for a health to you all)

Johnny,   I'm pretty new to this myself, but there is no doubt "retired" is the best (and for many the only) way to do it.  If you don't feel like it one day (unlike work) you don't have to do it.  I have found that an amazing concept.  Best of luck to you.  You will find lots of help here.

irishjohnny98 likes this

Welcome aboard Johnny! Got some family over there just NE of your Island in Forfar, Angus, and Edinburgh. I know the weather is rougher than a cob this time of year. A lot of great guys and a wealth of info here so have fun and take care.   :722972270:

Cheers  :cheers:

irishjohnny98 likes this

Welcome aboard. You will have fun and enjoy your time here. What kind of vessel are you interested in?

David B

irishjohnny98 likes this

Glakie, Just to clarify. I came over on the boat from Ireland as a young lad. I'm a full fledged, certified, yankee doodle dandy and Nam Vet. Also, I swim the Great Lakes as, if I may assume from your username, you may do so as well.

David B. I started out with the Midwest dingy build. Now I'm about to embark upon the Sharpie Schooner. My long term goal is to become talented enough to build the Blue Nose for my son. Himself and I were fortunate to actually go aboard the Canadian replica of the orginal. I have an Irish pub band and been singing the praises of this rum runner for years.

To all, thanks for the welcome. The day may come when I'll aquire a bit of salt in this pursuit. I will most certainly pass forward your generoustity to new members.

edmay, mtaylor, GLakie and 3 others like this

Good for you. The Sharpie Schooner is a great looking model when completed and will give you a lot of practice. You will be able to detail it the way you like.  As for the Bluenose I am partial to fishing and Grand Banks schooners.  I like the way their hulls look.  Built for work but designed for speed.

David B

irishjohnny98 likes this

Welcome aboard Johnny,

This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

When you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

To help you find your way around the forums, please have a look at the topics in our 'Questions/instructions on how to use and post to this forum/Site Problems or suggestions'. It contains a lot of information and tips that you will want to know. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/47-questionsinstructions-on-how-to-use-and-post-to-this-forumsite-problems-or-suggestions/

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Anja

welcome to this great site Johnny may your stay here be a long & happy one. All the best, Geoff