HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - 1/51

Most of the weekend spent making the yards, all done by hand, just lots of sanding. Something not clear on the AOTS drawings is the fact that the yards that are eight square in the centre section had battens nailed onto the flat sections. The battens were 1" thick so at 1:51 scale thats 0.5mm - the deck planking material is 0.5mm so I used some of the left over planks for the battens. Its terrible open wood so hard to keep edges straight. SIx done six to go. Pics are of the main yard.

post-819-0-51307500-1485677182.jpg

post-819-0-75631400-1485677210.jpg

post-819-0-00107000-1485677229.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Nice clean woodwork there Steve; they look good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I put some yards in place to see how they look. Iphone lens makes them look a bit thicker at the near end

post-819-0-61516200-1486034740_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Its 37 degrees Celsius here today and my ship in the garage is suffering the sags, the mainstay especially and the shrouds are loose. I brought it inside and placed it on the bookcase in my study (my indoor mancave) where my Victory normally sits. Looks okay there, my Vic might be looking for a new home when I finish the Endeavour.

post-819-0-58853600-1486547312.jpg

post-819-0-74702700-1486547327.jpg

Thanks BE, yes I agree when the sag happens realistically you know the tension is right. On my previous models I left the horizontal running rigging such as braces a bit loose then soak with water using a wet paint brush which makes the rigging sag realistically and then it stays that way once it dries out

Edited by shipaholic

• 3 weeks later...

I have finshed all the yards, a lot of sanding!!. Just need to add the hoops for the stunsails. Now comes the big job of adding all the blocks and footropes

IMG_3111 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3112 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3114 (600x800).jpg

Looking good Steve; a lot of sanding as you say but worth the effort.

cheers

Pat

G'Day Steve

Sorry for my absence but I had some personal issues and I'm slowly getting through the log on MSW.

Your Endeavour is Bloody marvellous and you should be extremely pleased the way is is coming together.

Did you do all the Yards and Masks by sanding only?

I'll be at that stage very soon.

Havagooday Mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

The wood work on the yards may be finished but there's a lot of fiddly stuff left to do on them. Today I started making the studdingsail boom irons. Why aren't the photos showing?

IMG_3115 (480x640).jpg

IMG_3116 (640x432).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making the stunsail booms, plus I added a few more items in preparation for the rigging. The bowsprit traveller, the iron horse, and some cleats. I fitted the belaying pins to the bow, I used brass ones that are blackened because the are a better more realistic size and I reckon the look just like dark wood once blackened.

IMG_3171 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3172 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3173 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3174 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3175 (600x800).jpg

Outstanding. I am totally in awe of your metal work, especially the studding sail brackets. I wish I could do this type of thing. But somehow, the soldiering iron and I just don't seem to get along. Any advice on the how to would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Some nice smithing there Steve.

cheers

Pat

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Michael (Ca.shipwright) - the metal work is very very tricky and those stunsail boom irons, being so small, were super tricky to do. The hardest part is holding the parts together during soldering, then not getting too much solder. I am not very good at it and it took a few tries to get them right but i persisted. I used silver solder. I have a silver solder kit that I bought, which consists of the solder, a mini gas torch and the flux. I used some 1/8" brass tube for the rings and brass rod hammered flat on four sides to make it square, for the arms. If you look at this photo you will see that the rings are a little off centre but once on the model its hardly noticable because they are so small. There was usually too much solder on the joints so I just filed off the excess.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_3115 (600x800).jpg

5 hours ago, DaveRow said:

Very very nice Steve.

Time and patience is your virtue.

I'll be taking on board the battens about the yards. Nice touch!

Dave R

Hi Dave thanks

Yes the battens aren't mentioned or shown in the AOTS, I think the AOTS drawings are based on the drawings etc in Steel here http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/page-1/  

scroll down theres some great drawings of masts and yards with more detail than AOTS. Like I've said before the AOTS is not gospel

Cheers

15 hours ago, shipaholic said:

Hi Dave thanks

Yes the battens aren't mentioned or shown in the AOTS, I think the AOTS drawings are based on the drawings etc in Steel here http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/page-1/  

scroll down theres some great drawings of masts and yards with more detail than AOTS. Like I've said before the AOTS is not gospel

Cheers

Thanks Steve,

Found the page with the spars. I do remember seeing this page, months/year ago when doing some research. But time gets away and so much passes in/out of the mind. 

Dave R 

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

'.......right but i persisted. I us......'

G'Day Steve 

My dear late Father had a saying. 

Persistent is a virtue, possess if you can, seldom found in women, but always in a man. Sorry Toni, you're the exception!

Great job again 

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 months later...

I have been working on the topmast shrouds recently. I used two single blocks to simulate the sister blocks on the shrouds. For the thimbles in the pendants I cut a short piece off thin copper tubing.

IMG_3307 (800x558).jpg

IMG_3308 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3366 (800x600).jpg

Hi Steve,

I like your nice metal work...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hi Steve, your metal work is absolutely brilliant. you have inspired me to give it go too.

Lovely soldering and metal work.  I really need to practice more with that.  No matter how hard I tried to pin/clamp down the pieces the mini blow torch would "blow" the pieces out of alignment.  Looking forward to next installment.

Thanks Mike and Michael. Yes soldering is very tricky and takes a bit of practice, yes the hardest part is holding very small pieces together whilst soldering. One trick is to pin the parts onto a sacrificial piece of wood that will inevitably scorch. If the solder is a bit thick or lumpy I just file off the excess. I have a great little blow torch thats good for small work.

IMG_3377 (480x640).jpg

IMG_3376 (800x645).jpg