HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - 1/51

I look at your rigging and can understand why I am procrastinating rigging my Endeavour. Since my ship has turned into quite a lash-up, my rigging when it gets there will be a much more modest effort.

RE: silver soldier

I have the torch, very small pieces of silver, and a jar of flux.

1st question: Do you flux the joint, pile on the silver pieces and then heat until the silver melts and flows into the joint?

2nd question: My jar of flux is extremely viscous- more like thick paste then any thing else. Is this still good to use?

Thanks for all your great postings,

Regardsd

G'day ca.shipwright

I guess I can answer that for you.

When I solver solder, I dip all the ends to be soldered in Flux  (age doesn't destroy Flux with my experience, and my Flux is on the jelly side now). I then join the pieces together and heat them up and let the silver solder soak onto the joins.

havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

The stand is a rough one I made out of mdf just to hold the ship during construction. I will make a proper stand when I'm finished, probably like the small supports I made for my first Endeavour in this pic

image.jpeg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Another Silly Question: I am busy with the blue upper sheathing of the hull, the instructions say you must use water based stain. I bought 3 different ones and was not happy with the look so I have been using a blue oil paint that looks similar to yours. I am not sure if this is going to create a problem later when gluing the finer detailed pieces on. Any advice on this and suggestions based on what you have done? Thank you for your response to my previous message. Karl

Not a silly question Karl. I used water based paint. French Blue from Admiralty Paints by Jokita. I got it from an online Hobby Store here in Australia.

You shouldn't have any problems gluing things on oil paint especially if you use CA

IMG_3410 (480x640).jpg

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 5:09 PM, shipaholic said:

I have been working on the topmast shrouds recently. I used two single blocks to simulate the sister blocks on the shrouds. For the thimbles in the pendants I cut a short piece off thin copper tubing.

IMG_3307 (800x558).jpg

IMG_3308 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3366 (800x600).jpg

Hi Steve,

Just trying to understand a bit more for the new-bee(me) on this rigging business.

So the pendant you mention is a Burton Pendant ? with a double block, possibly with another thimble(lashed) or hook attaches to the hanging thimble?

AoTS does not indicate thimbles, however I suppose it depends on how much detail one wishes to add to the realism of the model.

David Steel's Rigging.....  Main & Fore Top-Mast > Burton Pendants(1 pair):

has a thimble on the pendant(hanging I assume, like yours)

thimbles 1 each on the double block and single block(which would make up the tackle)

All the above now makes sense to me.

However, I don't understand the pair of blocks in the shroud ? 

Probably something i have not come across yet.!

Cheers

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Dave

Yes they are burton pendants, the bloocks would be hooked to them.

The two blocks between the topmast shrouds are called sister blocks, for the topsail lifts. The AOTS has long stropped blocks hanging from the masthead

IMG_3443 (480x640).jpg

IMG_3444 (480x640).jpg

• 10 months later...

I haven't posted on here for a while but I have been plugging away doing bits and pieces when time permits.

I have been working on the rigging and have almost finished the topmast standing rigging.

This week a little diversion, I bought a ships wheel kit from Syren. Its the correct size and looks much better than the metal one I had there. Great kit from Chuck - everything goes together so precisely. First pic is the metal wheel I replaced.

IMG_3973 (600x800).jpg

IMG_4133 (600x800).jpg

IMG_4137 (600x800).jpg

IMG_4138 (600x800).jpg

IMG_4130 (600x800).jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Really very nice. I have started the Constructo Endeavour and after a few weeks am getting to the point where I am almost happy with the deck. That was until I saw how nice yours is. How did you make the nail marks in the planks? I think they look fantastic. Regards, Mark. 

Hi Mark

Thanks.

The nail marks in the planks were done using a 6B pencil, just position it on the plank, press and rotate. Practice on a scrap to get good at it, and keep the pencil sharp.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more work today, finished off the footropes on the spritsail yard and finished fitting the fore topmast stays

IMG_4150 (600x800).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on in bits and pieces when I have time. Today I made the parral and fitted the spritsail topsail yard, the first running rigging being the spritsail topsail halyard and I had a crack at making my first rope coil at the belaying pin.

IMG_4180 (800x600).jpg

IMG_4178 (800x600).jpg

IMG_4177 (600x800).jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Back in the ship yard. You have made amazing progress. l  Rigging looks brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike, good to see you back into it. I have been very slow on my build, I don't get to it very often, too much other stuff to do.

Dashi, I don't know either way on the gaff. I have just followed the AOTS for all my masts and yards, because it was easy to photocopy the drawings and enlarge them to the correct scale.

I have mostly finished the standing rigging, except for some ratlines on the fore and mizzen topmast shrouds. I have started ading all the footropes and various blocks to the yards, starting at the bowsprit.

Cheers

IMG_4973 (800x600).jpg

IMG_4974 (800x600).jpg

Edited by shipaholic
change photo

Artsy shot. I think that getting the scale of everything right, including rigging sizes, gives a more realistic appearance

IMG_4976 (800x600).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit of spare time over the Easter break to work on the ship. Standing rigging completed yesterday with the last of the ratlines done. Bowsprit all fitted out now. Today I fitted the shroud cleats and some cleats on the rail stanchions. All ready to get stuck into the running rigging now.

IMG_5084 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5085 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5086 (1024x768).jpg

The Jeers

I always intended to do the Jeers like they are on the Endeavour Replica, with single blocks, because that made sense for a small vessel of 300 tonnes. But I still had a niggle in the back of my mind whether that was right because the AOTS has two sets of double blocks. Today I found the answer in Steel's book "Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship"

Quote:

"JEARS, in merchant-ships, and small ships in the navy, have two single blocks lashed on each side the mast-head, as above, and another, the same size, in the middle of the yard. The tye, which connects with these blocks, reeves through one of the blocks at the mast-head, then through the block on the yard, and afterwards through the block on the other side the mast-head. In the lower ends of the tye is spliced a double-block, which is connected by its fall to a treble-block, that hooks to an eye-bolt in the deck, close to the mast, on each side. By this the power of the tackles below is communicated to the tye, which, connecting with the block upon the yard, easily sways it up, or lowers it down."

Another case of the AOTS being wrong

IMG_0255 - Copy (976x1024).jpg

• 2 weeks later...