HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - Eaglemoss - 1/51

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info.

Yes similar, I am basing the rope size on 7" rope for preventer and 10" forestay

My Endeavour is 1:51 scale so the preventer should be:

7" circumference x 25.4 = 177.8mm divided by Pi (3.1416) = 56.6mm diam. divided by 51 = 1.11mm

10" circumference should be 1.58mm

Cheers
Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

hello, ref the pliers for making rings with wire, micro mark US, also Wubbers tools,but price may be better in hobby/craft stores in the jewelry making section,as shipping is very high from the US even to Canada,Edwin

Awesome! I have already sourced my elastoplast!

Thanks for the hreat tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received the new rope I ordered from Chuck and its the right size for my stay.

I spent the afternoon making the fore stay. I have put the details in a new post in the masting and rigging section for those interested in how I did the mouse.

I am happy with the result and using the correct size rope means it doesn't look too bulky at the mast head.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-19463200-1430985307_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-24248000-1430985335_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-32900200-1430985351_thumb.jpg

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Looks absolutely brilliant. What size rope for the forstay and pendants please?

Mouse looks great to me.

Edited by mikec

Thanks Mike

There's some conversation between Dave Row and I in previous posts about the rope sizes. If you are using Syren rope the forestay is 1.37mm and the preventer stay is 1.14mm. The pendants are a bit smaller than the shrouds, about 1mm

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get some time on the ship today. I finished the foremast catharpins and started making the futtock shrouds.

post-819-0-47392700-1432452852_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-26551300-1432452937_thumb.jpg

You're making good progress Steve; looks good.

I can't wait to get back to mine after this op. :(

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Steve

Great work on the rigging so far.

Pat what op are you going to have? All the best mate.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

You are doing an amazing job with the rigging. I am starting work on this stage too.

Can you please tell me what size rope for the futtock shrouds and catherpins are you using?

Thanks Mike

The rope I used for the futtock shrouds and catharpins is the medium size dark brown thread supplied with the partwork, served. In the partwork instructions it's listed as 0.5mm thread

Steve

Thanks for the info. I will post some pics of my progress soon. i am a little bit behind you.

She is looking fantastic. How are you going to rigg the mainstay? To an eyebolt in the deck? Or as per the freemantle replica?

Thanks Mike

I am still deciding which way to go with the mainstay, I could be wrong but I think the replica vessel is the correct way, so I will probably do it like that, a collar around the bowsprit. I was going to do it like the AOTS and have even fitted a large eyebolt, but have changed my mind as I cannot find any reference other than the AOTS describing mainstay collars secured to eye bolts in the deck

Cheers

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Yep thats what I have discovered too. I will do The same. i will go and have a look what Lester did and Pat

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some of the Syren cleats, they are better than the ones I made manually because they are laser cut and therefore uniform in shape. I am currently fitting the main shrouds.

post-819-0-36487400-1434534457_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-71762100-1434534476_thumb.jpg

Fantastic work. Your shrouds look brilliant! I am roughly at the same stage as you. I find it fasinating watching your progress, and then seeing mine, using two completely different approaches- trying to achieve the same result.

Mine is totally expeimental (using composit materials) so far it seems to be working.

I will post soon.

Thanks Mike yes its interesting how each of us develop our own methods to achieve something.

Whilst on the subject of the shrouds;

Another one where I believe the AOTS is completely wrong. Marquardt states in his commentary that Endeavour had two topmast backstays because Cook wrote in his Journal that both backstays broken - hello! I think Cook might have meant both the starboard and port one. He has changed the size of the main mast deadeyes in his drawings to suit his argument. If you look at both of the original draughts there is only one small deadeye for the topmast backstay whereas AOTS shows two small deadeyes.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) AOTS shows the wrong arrangement for the topgallant shrouds. The topgallant shrouds are led through holes in the trestle trees down around the futtock staves and down to the top where they are lashed to an eye secured around the lower topmast deadeyes.

I think you guys must hate me for pointing out faults with AOTS, sorry

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-47418400-1434967053_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-61468500-1434967479_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-94124800-1434967588_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-34579600-1434967642_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic