HMB Endeavour by shipaholic - Eaglemoss - 1/51

Just had a quick catchup and look through. She is looking beautiful. I am about to restart my endeavour. Just about finished off the Victory. posting pics soon. Mike

Today I fitted the heart and collar for the main preventer stay on the foremast.

I have started making cleats, pretty fiddly because they are so small and I need about twenty four of them

post-819-0-39588700-1400398449_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-72953300-1400398466_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-56892500-1400398484_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Steve,

Love the heart and collar, looks great.

How are the 2 ends loops secured to each around the mast?

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Some more "arty" pics

HiSteve,

your Endeavour lookd great,

very nice Fitting out Details, choise of Colors and rigging so far to be seen...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Steve, can you please tell me what size you used for your anchor and where did you get it from?

cheers Mike

Hi Steve, can you please tell me what size you used for your anchor and where did you get it from?

cheers Mike

Hi Mike

I made the anchor myself out of brass, I need two bower anchors and have since found that Caldercraft have them at the right size so I bought the second one. I won't be using the stock supplied with the Caldercraft one though, its totally wrong. Here's some pics of the first one unpainted, and compared to the ones supplied with the partwork.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-08402600-1401623770.jpg

post-819-0-37722300-1401623825.jpg

post-819-0-21112200-1401623900_thumb.jpg

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Wow, that is amazing work. I am going to try and find a suitable anchor from caldercraft or similar. I havn't got the tools or equipment to do what you did. Brilliant job!

Hi again Mike

Here is a pic of the caldercraft 74mm anchor on a 1:51 scaled drawing. Not too bad, about 1mm too long and a little bit thick in places but it should look fine.

Steve

post-819-0-38031500-1401700519_thumb.jpg

Thanks, thats the one for me then. I can attack it with my files to thin it where needed. I can live with it being 1mm out.

• 3 weeks later...

hi Steve, how did you get the destinctive slight bend in the bowsprit? 

Hi Mike

I soaked the wood in hot water then made a simple jig with nails in a block of wood to keep it bent until it dried. I'm not sure now whether the bowsprit was actually curved or the curvature shown on the draughts is just the taper, the AOTS shows it as being curved so I did it like that. Its only a slight curve but it really is noticeable.

I just saw your comments on Banyan's log. I didn't use the wood supplied by Eaglemoss, you're right its too thick. I went to Bunnings and bought some dowel the correct diameter.

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

• 3 weeks later...

hi Steve, I have a question - all my rigging references for ships of the Endeavour period shows an open heart for the collars for the stays that rig to the bowsprit (fore stay and preventer) and the AOTS doesn't show what kind of set up ....

Yes Greg I did the same, I used closed hearts on mine because the replica has them. I posted a good photo of the replica bowsprit on Mikes log. I discovered the reason for open hearts when I was researching it for Mike.

Steve