HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Take your time, Greg.  No rush.  You found us again and that's a good thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok, back in business, I originally saved each photo since 2009 in separate files, and will upload all eventually in order. The hull and first layer of planks of course is first, and the second layer with 5000 treenails. Last photo is where i'm up to, fitting the masts. More to follow. Thanks to the adminsitrators for their persistence.

Greg

post-253-0-23077400-1360996177_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-27483800-1360996244_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-86199800-1360996279_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-34575600-1360996309_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-43261400-1360996343_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-07542800-1360996376_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-52700800-1360996469_thumb.jpg

Greg

You're ahead of me Greg, I am still rebuilding mine in a word file to allow quicker rebuild.  I had forgotten your "porcupine" hull :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Now, the AL kit is very basic, so one needs to add proper stern decorations, hatches, covers etc. The rudder coat was a Lindor chocolate wrapper with platic card cut to suit as a collar. The Quarter badges needed to be filed out and photoetched windows installed.

post-253-0-60952700-1361065048_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-86673400-1361065139_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-11300700-1361065180_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-80827600-1361065207_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-67264600-1361065248_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-85656300-1361065273_thumb.jpg

Greg

Up to date, after several years. The new site is really easy to upload to and file sizes are bigger and quicker. Well done. I am up to fitting masts and I am spending a lot of time serving shrouds. The mast coats again used plastic backed foil from Lindor chocolates. It works really well. 

post-253-0-66477800-1361067179_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-10741400-1361067190_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-18196600-1361067198_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-72260000-1361067202_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-74144200-1361067210_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg,

Your Endeavour is looking great.  I like all the little extra details you are including like the mast coats and binnicle details .  Your tops, masts and ships boats are also excellant.  I go through stages of indecision, wether I should build it straight from the box to get it finished or add extra details gleaned from AOTS.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

glad you uploaded all you pictures. I have this kit ready to build after my current one.

you have done some excelent additions to the kit. i hope yuo wont mind if i use some of those on my own build

will be following your progress

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Geez, you do like to set me a challenge Greg and just when I thought I might beat you in catching up with the build-log :)

The masts look great.  I am about to add all the additional furniture and fittings to mine.  What did you use as your main reference as to what cleats etc went where?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Wonderful work.  I'm going to use your technique for the treenails using the toothpicks. How did you trim them down.  Did you use a fret saw?

Thanks

Marc

Pat, I used the AOTS for the cleats. There are a few contradictions, so you have to reference them against the belaying plans. I sat down Sunday afternoon after wresting the computer from the kids and just went through the folders that I had organised as the build progressed. I did cheat a bit and purchased the Caldercraft photoetch set for their Endeavour. The cleats, cannons and hooks were all after market. I have ordered a few varied sets of rigging blocks from JB models now I'm up to the rigging to see if they are better than I can repliclate and save me two years work.

Marc, I used toothpicks for the first layer to give it strgength, cutting them off with flush cutters. For the second layer, I used bamboo BBQ skewers cut into thirds then sliced vertically then put them through a 0.2 drawplate.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Greg.  John (Jim Lad) sent me some photos of the replica which I can also use. 

Cheers

Pat

Hello Greg

Did this kit come with the supplies for 4 boats or did you scratch build. Either way I love the multiple boats and also All the detail you've put into this one. I agree with your meditation philosophy. Looking forward to seeing her rigged. Are you planning sails, She has a lot of rigging to show off, which sometimes are better for viewing without sails, but I also like the furled look with dropped yards. I think Sometimes furled sails look better then saggy sails. I love the sails on a tall ship but haven't come across and method for shaping them so they appear as they have wind pushing them. I'm sure someone has or had that info and since I'm new I'll never know all the information I missed, luckily I did get a month and 1/2 before MSW 1 was lost in a puff of electrons.

Just wanted to say, hello and Very Nice build of a kit I like alot of a ship with a very interesting history. You've really shown what can be achieved.

Shine On -/\=

Keith