HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Progress! I have added mast tacke and shrouds to the formast. The topmost areas served, and the first and third (leading) shrouds served the whole way.

I have decided that the worming is way too long and will completley redo the whole lot, none of the seizing is glued so 2 days of work gone, but all good practice. I do not to look back at it and regret something based upn laziness. Anyway I'm deciding what colour rigging to use on the worming yet.

I'll then add the shroud cleats. I intend to do the bowspirit next and the stays, so I want to have that done prior to adding the final tightening of them  so it won't upset the ratlines and catharpins. Happy to take advice on this folks which process works best. 

Quick answer to the last question, the AL kit comes with one wood pulp ship's boat, which I thinned out and double planked, the rest were scratch built on a frame. I'm also not adding sails but there is a method of streching a wet sail over a glass bowl that will give the appearance of a billowing under wind (period ship modellling by Reed).

post-253-0-35335400-1363040494_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-19194100-1363040504.jpg

post-253-0-33303900-1363040515_thumb.jpg

Greg

I have added some photos of the Shrouds that I took from the replica whilst it was in Cairns harbour back at the turn of the century. I had bought the kit back then and had,not really put a great deal of thought of what to photgraph, but considering nearly no one owned a digital camera then, I would obviousty take a lot more now. I like the way all the worming is done in a practical way that will cover a lot of sins for me. Also it displays the shroud cleats. Hope some of my fellow Endeavour adventurers find it useful.

I will step and lash the bowspirit next before I set the shrouds permantly so I can keep the tensions correct when the stays are on place. Soooo much more to go. 

Greg

post-253-0-81372500-1363402254_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-39816600-1363402407_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-03708600-1363402543_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-63229200-1363402717_thumb.jpg

Greg

nice progress Greg :)

i am hoping to visit the replica and take some pictures of my own :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

You're making great progress Greg; she looks good!

I am rebuilding my upper masts at the moment - that'll set me back another month :(

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpkins. Several months ago I fabricated the bumpkins and with Danny's sage advice put them away. I'm at that stage now where I have to place them. It's a chicken and egg exercise as they fit under the bowsprit that they going to get into the road regardless. Now some models of the Endeavour don't seem to have Bumpkins but sticking to the ATOS I am stuck with them.

post-253-0-88006500-1364686628_thumb.jpg

Greg

The bumpkin fittings have them stuck to a support timber on the deck in a metal bracket at an angle of 36 degrees. They run under the catheads and I had to ensure that the catheads straddled them so the anchor fittings and ropes will fall properly.

post-253-0-39875400-1364686981_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-74852200-1364687105_thumb.jpg

Greg

Next, the Bumpkins shrouds, served and with an hook on one side and dead eyes on the other. A twin set of dead eyes are served to the end of the bumpkin itself. After a small failure (I didn't serve it strong enough) they are fitted under a fair bit of stress. Whilst the ropes still look fuzzy I will set them some some in the future with diluted PVA but want the freedom of removing them in case of emergency.

post-253-0-91552800-1364687440_thumb.jpg

Greg

Nice work Greg. To get rid of the fuzz on the ropes I run a cigarette lighter flame quickly across them. Looking at your photos only convinces me more that the Endeavour didn't have bumpkins - they would seriously get in the way when working the anchors.

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Guys

I dont know if this adds much to the debate about bumkins.

But the Caldercraft kit includes them and some replica photos

I have also include them

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

The bumpkin discussion revitalised on MSW v2! I'm really stuck with them now but happy with them until I have to do the anchors some time on the distant future. Looking forward to seeing my fellow Endevour builders renditions of their bows, but shift work really does slow down construction, as I've still got 16 years till retirement at 60. I may get to the yards by then.

Greg

Hi Greg, starting to come together very nicely with the addition of a bit of rigging. 

Steve, there has has been a lot of debate about the bumpkins and who is to say who is right or wrong?  It appears the replca has no trouble with them when working their anchor? 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat, the debate about the bumpkins could go on and on but nobody knows, in the end its the modeller's choice whether to include them. The replica vessel doesn't have bumpkins, most likely because of the anchor issue.

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

• 3 weeks later...

This is great work!

I'm wondering where you get the drawings from. Do I see a book on one of the pictures? That wasn't included in the kit, was it?

I have started to build the Endeavour myself on a scale of 1:24 based on the Artesania Latina kit, but I don't have the drawings you have. Or was my kit not complete? I'm missing a lot of details and I'm stuck on some parts.

Cheers,

Kiro

Kiro,

I'm pretty much doing it off the Anatomy of the ship series book as i gave up on the Al instructions years ago. . There is also Parkin's Endeavour as well. Happy to help out if you're at a loss. 1/24 is huge!

Greg

Greg

$40 is really cheap. Lucky you!

But you're still using the Anatomy of the ship series book as a reference to build your model and not the Parkin one? Why if I might ask? I read in a review on Amazon that the Anatomy of the ship series book is not often as accurate when it comes to measurements.

Kiro

Hi Greg,

Great progress on your ship, really coming together.  Rightly or wrongly I will be adding bumpkins to my Endeavour as the Caldercraft version has them also and I actually think they look good hanging out there :)

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

I suppose you just have to pick a side. It's always going to vary, everyone is doing a great job on their own version of every ship here, it's about the process. If you're happy with what you decide to follow, I'm happy!

Greg

• 1 month later...

I've been procrastinating with this next bit, with shift work and kids, I finally disciplined myself and put off doing the ironing to work on the bowsprit collars and stepping the bowsprit.

Each of the collars had to be stropped first which is remarkably easy, as was the lashing eventually. Once I finish off a few more stays I shall try my hand at a ropewalk for the preventers.

post-253-0-71927900-1370146978_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-63599000-1370147097_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-01512500-1370147125_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg, looking real nice

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Model Ship ways rope walk, which, whilst rather flimsy, works really well. I've even figured out how to make a jig for making a mouse for the stays. I'll attach photos once I've done the foremast.

I have attached a couple of open source PDF files about the Replica Endeavour's standing rigging for those in the Endeavour club.The PDF file attached shows how they make the rope.

If you follow the attached link, it is a manual for people going on the Endeavour replica and includes rigging plans.

http://www.goolumgoolum.org.au/YEINFO.pdf

Signals94_pp02-11_Endeavourstandingrigging.pdf

Greg

very nice work Greg and thanks for the rigging pdf :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Stays and Mouses (or mice i suppose). I made the stays and wormed them to give them a better thickness. I then got an old wooden spindle and drilled holes in the end to  run lines through (al la frolich). I made a small wooden mouse from stock and then attempted to  cross stitch to produce the mouse. Seriously, black thread is too hard as you just get lost, thus the tan line used for the second one. A LOT of buggering around but the result came out OK.

post-253-0-18443600-1371187219_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-54043300-1371187237_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-72169900-1371187256_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-26005500-1371187284_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-23403700-1371187303_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-11989700-1371187321_thumb.jpg

Greg

OK, foremast stays complete. I have to re rig the first shroud as it lost tension with the stays. I think by the time i put the 3 masts in, do their shrouds, stays, Catharpins, shroud cleats, tackle, tops, I'll be ready for Santa before i have to do the ratlines.

post-253-0-48258400-1371779957_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-25705500-1371779972_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-55537300-1371779991_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-10043800-1371780009_thumb.jpg

Greg

• 3 weeks later...