HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Cornwall ship models, excellent price, choice and really quick to Oz. they have a fret just for the endeavour. I also replaced the cannon and swivel guns from there as well. I replaced all the planking from Modellers shipyard. I'm in the process of swapping out the rigging blocks from JB models (Jerzy is apparently away on assignment and his site is in limbo) and I just ordered some more blocks from Chuck Pressario.

Greg

Considering there has been a flurry of Endeavours, I thought I'd do an update! Standing rigging (shrouds) in progress. I intend to stain all the shroud rigging black like the replica. I intend to utalise all the mast tackles by having a longboat run out from the yards (Thus the gap).

post-253-0-54184500-1373354126_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-89786400-1373354150_thumb.jpg

Greg

She comig along very nicely Greg, not long now and she will be ready for display.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

very nice work on the ship and the rigging Greg, I like the fine work on the bowsprit.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks gents, I'm replacing the deck blocks whilst I still have acess so that's going to slow me down. Then 32 shroud cleats, stays, lower mast yard blocks, figure out how to make metal wrapping for the mast tacke, etc. I reckon at least two more years before I start the yards.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

The first photo was taken years ago when i was setting up the steering gear. I'm completly dissatisfied with the blocks. Thus the next bit of progress or regress, as I decided that i would replace them all.

The second photo is of commerically available blocks. The top is from www.JBmodels.eu, the second is the typical block available in kits. The third is from Chuck Pressario's new website www.Syrenshipmodelcompany.com. Both Jerzy and Chuck have made a great product (no I'm not sponsored). number 4 are  kit blocks, then JBModels then Syren. 

The third photo is a close up of a replaced JBModel 3mm block on deck.

The fourth photo is a comparison of JBModels small blocks stained maple (3mm) and the kit block which I am replacing on the deck rigging blocks.

post-253-0-17874900-1374810525_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-67513800-1374810546_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-29490600-1374810568_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-66848400-1374810592_thumb.jpg

Greg

Great job on the rigging Greg; she is looking  really good.

I agree on the kit blocks; I too am using the JB blocks (bought them before Chuck's products were available) - Both are a great improvement!

cheers

Pat

Steering gear revisited. Sooo much clumsier with shrouds, but worth doing. The new blocks are from JB Models. I made my first attempt at using brass to strop the blocks incluing hooks, using 0.2mm copper bashed flat leaving the ends unflattened to make the hooks. Then blackened and attached to the blocks. The final photo is from 2011 when I made my first attempt. They actually look a lot better in real life than the iphone photos.

post-253-0-87704500-1374985679_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-90389600-1374985701_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-88397400-1374985725_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-62365400-1374985743_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-64602500-1374985757_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg, looking really nice.

Do you mind telling me what you use to blacken your brass and copper.  I have thought about it in the past but its seems Aussies are limited in the products available and from reading lots of other posts about blackening it can be rather hit hit or miss, so I just paint my parts but need to keep touching them up as the paint gets scratched and chipped with handling.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Cornwall ship models has some stuff called Krick which I ordered off their site, takes about a week in the post and the shipping is dirt cheap compared to US sites and 5 times as quick. A gunsmith should have blackening (or blueing) as well, probably available in bigger volumes as well

Greg

Hi Greg very nice job I use your blog as main reference in combination with a couple others I could not glue a toothpick without.

can I ask you what did you use in the second pic of your blog on the right side of the boat?

This is my first model ever and I start thinking that maybe I ve pushed too much, but I m not giving up easly despite all the icupsi ve encounter. I hope I could post sam same question without bordering you too much.

have a nice day

paolo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Its really coming together now, looking very nice.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• 4 weeks later...

Greg she is looking great; the ratline process will end soon - I am just starting the rigging and have this chore to look forward to :)

Your boats look good; what plan did you use for the Gig and skiff (or yawl)? I have finished the longboat and cutter but two (possibly three to go)

cheers

Pat

I made bulkhead frames of the sheer line plans from the AOTS, then planked them over after waxing the edges so they would not stick. It made it far easier to do clinker planks that way. Once I have finished the masts and standing rigging I'll do the yards with the final boat being slung out with the mast and yard tackle. Then finally the anchors to hide the sins of the uneven foremast deadeyes ;-). Then maybe I'll get around to making a stand. The antique glass shop cabinet the admiral bought me (see previous posts) will be its resting place besides my dust covered Heller Victory which started this madness off.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided we Endeavor builders have been slack! well, it is football final season. I finally sources some new double blocks from Poland at Clasic Model (which is were I believe that JB model got his before he disappeared from the World Wide webb). really nice product and good customer service. Time for the jeer Blocks.

post-253-0-10141800-1380453499_thumb.jpg

Greg

I then placed weights on the blocks to place them under tension so the fall is correct, then stained them which stiffens the rigging line so when I finally get around to the yards they will sit properly. Come on chaps, more Endeavor photos. the Glad Wrap or cellophane is my very cheap version of dust off.

post-253-0-47981000-1380454066_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-35090200-1380454088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Hi Greg, as long it is only us that are slack and not the rigging :)

Tidy, and very nice work mate and those blocks look supurb.

Did you use the supplied heart blocks?  I don't like the ones in the AL kit and looking for a source for better ones.  Do the Polish guys supply these also?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Greg,

your rigging looks great as well as the jeer blocks, look real and business like.  I like that area of rigging at the mast top where all the shrouds and stays come together.

Cheers

Slog