HMB Endeavour 1768 by Adrieke - Artesania Latina - scale 1:60 - made to look like the replica at the ANMM

Good catch; better to get it before the glue sets - you had a stroke of luck there :) 

Rowand - welcome to the Endeavour model builder's group :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice.  Keep up the good work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

thanks texxn5 :)  i wil be working more on her soon

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

finally sanded down the top of the bulkheads and keel so i can fix the decks on to it

post-622-0-94500100-1369465530_thumb.jpg

coudl have done more but had to do some gardening too including cleaning up this mess again :angry:  :angry:  :angry: :

post-622-0-77404300-1369465543_thumb.jpg

thats after only half a day and this is one of the culprits :

post-622-0-86783200-1369465549_thumb.jpg

Hi Adrieke,

You are a little like Popeye…...

Building at 3 ships and maybe number four in on his way.

You spend more time to update your logs then you are building  :D

But I can say nothing, because I know when I have the Agnammenon, I also start with her……..

I hope I can finish the Le Mirage before that!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Haha only working on 2  unless you mean the paper one which i havent touched for awhile (bad memeories as i had a very bad alergic reaction to the CA i used then)

ofcourse i also have the connie the golden hind and the pedro nunes but they are patiently waiting till i am in the mood for them again

ooh yeah and the stage coach is also still around

darn i sound bad :mellow:

ok not far in and already made my second stupid mistake

i totaly forgot the masts reinforcements :( . i drilled the holes in the deck so i could see where they fit and then glued them underneath the decks

post-622-0-50712500-1369480435_thumb.jpg

the foremast one was a bit dificult but i could just slide it in between the  bit of lower deck and the false keel

post-622-0-50139600-1369480447_thumb.jpg

also glued the transom (or whatever its called) in place

next i need to determenin the lenght of the deck planks on this ship so i can cut them to size. ther is nothing in the manual about this or cauliking or trenails so i am on my own

post-622-0-89613000-1369480440_thumb.jpg

Adrieke,

Take your scale and use that on 5 to 6 meter deck planks that's as good an average length to use as any ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Adrieke,nothing wrong with being fussy thats how you became a very good modeler,you have enjoyable and interesting blogs,will follow both.Waiting for my son in law to visit and to show me how to post pictures,(old head,fairly new at computer) not a good mix but trying to improve,have a nice weekend ,Edwin

hi Carl thanks for the tip :)

scale is 1/60 with 6 metre planks that would mean 100 mm a nice round number :)

hello Ed thanks for the compliment :) but I am still  a newbie. if you need help with posting or anything computer wise me and lots of others can assist

have a good weekend too :)

I was warned from other build logs that the bow needs to be sanded down for the keel to fit properly

this special piece of compressed wood or whatever it is , is pretty hard to sand even with my rotary tool but I got it almost perfect

post-622-0-80110300-1369567296_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-68247300-1369567304_thumb.jpg

still a lot of sanding to do but I am getting there

post-622-0-24404900-1369567312_thumb.jpg

I had to replace one of the light bulbs in my cars headlights. turned out I had to take out the whole assembly just to replace it. brilliant design lol

post-622-0-24918500-1369567551_thumb.jpg

I have done some research ( googled lots of pics of her) and I need to make the decision now on if I want to build her like the kit or adapt her to what the replica looks like.  

do I have the skills for this or not I don't know but I am going to find out. first I l need to stock up on the different paints needed (red blue yellow(ish) black and white)

hello pmangos :)

while I am figuring out how to plank (by finding any image I can find of the decks of the endeavour replica) I decided to prepare the gunwales.

cut 2 of them to approximate size soaked them and clamped them dry :)

post-622-0-76738600-1369920586_thumb.jpg

Adriaan,

Somewhere on the pictures of the trip to Mobbsie ,there is a picture of the Endeavor modelship…..

I don't know if you can see the deck…...

At the model ship world main site at the framing and planking there is a tutorial about deck planking.

Maybe that will help you.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thank Sjors . i had read that tutorial before. when i saw some pictures of the replica i noticed that the planking is not uniform which makes sense. if you got a smal part to plank and acording to the pattern you would need 2 planks joining you d put a full plank in. my idea is to plank the model the same way as the replica. same goes for the trenailing. so far i only put trenails on the end of the planks but ofcourse each plank was nailed into each of the beams (or whatever they are called) they sit on :)

thanks John dont think  i kave these pics so they will certainly help :)

Hi Adrieke, your Endeavour is moving along nicely and she looks good. I found that I had to spend a lot of time sanding to get things to fit or shapes correct too and at one point I thought I was going to sand the ship away grrrrrrrrrr.... As for the paint and colours, I couldn't locate colours that were close to those on the replica (might not have looked hard enough) so I mixed up enough of each colour to do the whole job (if I decided to paint the whole ship). When I studied the colours on the replica, I found that they were good and clean when I took my first round of photos (Brisbane) but had faded quite a bit by the time the vessel had made Melbourne last year......dohhh!! Guess which photos I looked at first to use as the reference for mixing the colours (yep, Melbourne) but realized the effects of the sun and time, especially on the deck equipment and upper facing surfaces where it was more obvious.

Have a good weekend,

Cheers,

rowand

thanks for looking in Rowand :)

yup so far it seems i ll i have done is sanding lol

i have some website wher you can upload pictures and by pointing at a color it wil give you a chart with colors close to the one in the picture. This should get me in the rigth direction together with photos of the replica and of the other build logs here :)

i am going to try and adjust as close to the replica as my skill level alowes and paint her exactly the same except most likely for the bottom (white) as i want to be able to see the nice planking (i hope ;) )

I think my biggest regret with mine was using the kit supplied wood for the deck, I've replaced all of the other wood. I think you'll get a better result with a harder and less waxy wood. It will make the scarph joints a lot easier

Greg

hi Greg

I will be using the wood that came with the kit and hoping I get a good result from it.

after counting and calculating from pictures and the 360 degree views from the museum website I have concluded the follow

the planks they used for the deck are about 285 mm in width (the board plank my model is sitting on is that exact width what a coincidence)

at 1/80 that would mean my planks need to be about 3.5 mm in width. the kit comes with 5 mm strips of wood

so major first decision to make. not sure if I even can consistently reduce them in width (it will have to be all by hand)and if I still would have enough of them to cover the deck

not sure where my mind was yesterday but the scale is 1/60 not 1/80 still the correct width of the planks is 3.5 mm

for instance the width at the bow end is 128 minus the 2 wales and the king plank which I leave at 5 mm thats 113mm left

there are 15 rows of planks on each side plus the waterway which Is about the same width as the planks makes :

113 / 32 = 3.53125

I marked some lines out on the bow (they are not accurate but just to give me an idea ). the hatch opening will need to be moved to the middle a bit. also on the replica this hatch is a square not a rectangle

post-622-0-22468000-1370146588_thumb.jpg

I just ordered the admiralty paint set for the endeavour (9 bottles in total) :)

while I am waiting my first "little" change

one of the pictures shows some ventilation openings.

post-622-0-28509700-1370163193.jpg

I ll try to create these as they are shown. there is 8 of these next to each other  in 3 different sizes (11,14 and 16mm wide)

this is my first real try at scratch building a part :)

Hi Adrieke,

I Have the EagleMoss Endeavour at 1:48 scale and have been researching deck planking, and am also keen to follow the replica planking. However, there are some challenges for a novice like me. If my research on the replica serves correctly there are both curved planks on both the fore deck and the poop deck. The poop plank curves are long and follow the shape or curve of the bulwarks. Also, the fore deck makes use of turned, or hooked planks at the against the margin plank where the curve of the margin plank is the most pronuonced. Curved planks and the hooked planks need to be custom cut and are usually require wider planking to be cut to acheive this. The planks provided in kits are usually not wide enough to do this and one has to get wider material to do this. Your kit planks from AL are probably approx 4-5mm wide (I have an AL kit also,  but it is not the Endeavour) so you may struggle with the turns/hooks. I have experimented with maple veneer (0,5mm) and cut out custom planks. Maple cuts very cleanly and gives a nice clean edge. Also, the grain is fine and looks good as deck planking. In order to get the right shapes/curves my intention has been to get or draw the correctly scaled deck plans onto paper then glue the paper to a sheet of veneer and then cut out the planks acording to the plank images on the paper. This can be cut with a knife or with sharp scissors for the curves. When cutting with sissors it sometime helps to dampen the veneer being cut.

However, it requires a good drawing or plan to scale and follow. I took a look at Marquardts ATOS plans but these are complex and not the same as the replica. He does quite a nice job of indicating the King planks, Binding Strakes, and some of the curved planks and his drawings are easy to duplicate and scale. However, he makes use of nibbed and joggled planks on the focsle instead of turned hooked planks. This is easer for a modeler as you dont have to shape the planks. However, it is argued and current convention that planks nibbed into the margin plank only occured late in the 18th century, or early in the 19th century when "Circular" saws appeared and became efficient enough to mass mill lumber/planks into narrow constant widths, so it is unlikely the Endeavour had nibbed planking on the focsle. The replica probably correctly has turned/hooked focsle planks. The question for me has been where to get decent deck plans of the replica. The replica was built to plans and there may even be a deck plan as part of these, maybe even held by the ANNM. Unless the buiders resorted to doing the deck planking the 18th century way by shipright experience and memory without plans as such. You are in a fortunate position in that you can just pop down to the replica and have a look, and can talk to the museum staff and find out details as far as the replica build is concerned. Marquard also in my opinion came out with a very inconsistant deck plank shift plans in his drawings. I studied these for weeks very carefully trying to work this out without sucess, and came to the conclusion that his drawings were meant to give a general impression of the shift plan witout being spot on accruate. If you get down to the replica and look at the deck layout and take lots of photos I would be keen to see these especially of the focsle. All the photos I have managed to locate do not really show the focsle planking too well. Also, the camera tends to distort lines so it is difficult to see if planks are curved as they often appear curved on photos when they are actually straight, so being able to confirm this with the naked eye is a huge plus. 

Finally, I also note that you are keen to include the ventilation louvres in the waist bulkhead. I am curious to know if these are a modern inclusion/improvement design to improve ventilation between decks below as part of a ventilation duct, or were an origional part of the design historically, as I have not yet seen this incorporated into other period ships of the 18th century. If you find out let me know.

These have been my thoughts on the deck planking and it will be interesting to see how you get along with this. I am slowly researching 18th century english deck planking methods and designs and may one day try and put together a practicum on this for the forum, but it will be a while yet I think as I am still learning on this score.

John

thanks Sjors I will try my best :)

hi John.

I did not notice the curving on the fore deck I ll have to re examine the pictures to make sure.

the planks provided are 5 mm but I also have some 7 mm planks that I think I can use from my Gorch Fock kit . these are for the second hull planking but there should be plenty to sneak a few of them :)

I was going to visit the replica but unfortunately she ll be in maintenance from this Monday. I didn't think to check with the museum if the plans for the replica would be available or not.

I doubt the ventilation openings are original. I considered researching the Endeavour to how she looked in real but as with all these vessels its not easy as lots of information is unknown and some things are assumed. I am a perfectionist ( my mind that is not my clumsy hands lol ) and I would probably get frustrated with finding out everything. So instead of trying to figure out the real endeavour I chose to make the replica :)

the ventilation openings is my way of finding out if I am ready to do some scratch building . if it doesn't work out I ll leave them out

will you be posting a build log ?

Hi Adrieke,

The few photos I have got of the focsle seem to indicate some curved planks, particulary towards the edges/margin planks but this could be camera error. Also, Marquardts AOTS shows curved planks also towards the edges clearly, so I would like to gain clarity if possible and you are my best hope when Endeavour is open to visitors again.

My Endeavour hasnt even reached the slipway stage yet. Also, I am working on deck planking for HMS Sultana which is also 1760's period so Im trying to kill two stones with with one bird here as the research and issues are similar. There is also an equally good sailing replica of the Sultana in existance in the US, and in both cases the replicas have turned/hooked planks butting against the margin planks. I decided to turn Endeavour into a scratch build and have only gotten the issues that cover the frame and decks. However, I dont see Endeavour getting onto the slipway for a while so a build log is a while away still.

Incidently, I lived in Sydney for 5 years as a child, and started my schooling there, and not was not too far from the Opera House which is close to ANNM I believe, but it did'nt exist then. I was inSydney briefly 3 years ago for a visit just before my interest in Endeavour started to materialise, so kinda missed an oppertunity to visit it 8).

Cheers

John

hello John.

could you post those pics here so i can have a look myself ?

i am hoping she wont be in too long in maintenace so by the time i a have done her hull planking i can visit and take pics of the deck and rigging :)

i am now waiting on the paints . un the mean time i am drawing up plans of the decks on how i wil plank her using the photos i have so when i am ready for that i just have to follow the plan :)

mena thing i am really pondering is on how to make the deck planks look like on the real thing . i havent ever doen any weathering and stuff so i this wil be a challenge for me

yay the admiral just informed me my paints have arrived : talk about quick : ordered on sunday paid on tuesday here on friday from melboune :)