HMS AGAMEMNON by PMG - Caldercraft

Hello Mobbsie,

I arrived more or less to the same conclusion as you did. We got enough headhatches with these gunports...

Lets try to make them and see if they look fine ( that's for me, becaus I suppose yours are already done).

I should be very happy if I can finish all gunports for the end of this year....

Pierre

Anja,

I had a look to the link you gave me. It looks rather complicated.

I shall try to make an attempt tomorrow, just hoping that nothing is exploding during the tentative...;

The crew members are made in boxwood, I think. These pieces of wood were given to me by a swiss friend 20 years ago and they are very easy to carve.

I started making these sailors after seeing the cover of the book of Harold Hahn. But, of course, no comparision with my guys...

I give more precision later.

Pierre

Pierre

very nice build

would you like to post a profile picture of your build into the following link, the first page explains why

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1589-latest-full-profile-photograph-of-your-build/

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Pierre,

Meybe you've already seen in Steve's log. But I borrowed this from Sherry. Maybe it's more clear.

Go to the "my profile" (top left)

Then to "edit my profile" (top right)

Then "Signature" (list on left)

Highlight your "HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60"

Click on the link icon (seen in photo attachment below)

A small pop-up window appears - paste your build address:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/930-hms-agamemnon-by-pmg-caldercraft/ in the box marked URL

Click OK

Save Changes and you're done.

And if it doesn't work, let me know. If you wish I can do it for you.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Anja,

Thank you for the tip. I did it and..... it works!

You can see that the link to my HMS AGAMEMNON buildlog is now mentionned below my signature.

BUT.....

For doing it, I used the build address you mentionned in your last post.

Now, I should like to add a link to my HMS SERAPIS build log. My question is then: how did you get the address of the build log?

If you can get it for me I should be very happy.

( Caution: my build log is: "HMS SERAPIS by PMG Aeropiccola" not to be confused with "HMS Serapis  Aeropiccola 1/60" by Steve)

Thank you.

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

I hope you don't mind, but I've changed your signature and put the two builds in for you.

You don't see the link anymore, just your two current builds.

You have just one signature, So you can't change the order in your Serapis build.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

Yesterday, I told to Anja that I should give some more explanation about my crew.

On the next picture, you see anew one at the end of the manufacturing process.

You see the piece of boxwood (a wood very easy to work because you don't have a preferential direction of the fibres) and the guy awaiting for painting and cutting.

Next time, I show you an amazing member of the crew. Beware for the surprise....

Pierre

post-1601-0-15874300-1367267262_thumb.jpg

This is the present status of my Aggie.

Plenty of filler to be removed....

I let it dry for a couple of days and the .... sanding.

I think I shall wait for a better weather to be able to make the sanding outside. My wife shouldn't appreciate to have that in home!

In the mean time, I can prepare my sanding blocks.

Pierre

post-1601-0-72503400-1367402606_thumb.jpg

Hello Pierre,

That's a lot of sanding you have to do. But she will look smooth afterwards.

And a wise decision to wait for better weather so you can do the sanding outside.

Take care,

Anja

OK, the weather is not too bad, I hope the filler is dry (I took the opportunity to put a little bit more filler at bulkhead Nr 4 where there is a very very little dip), my sanding blocks are ready... and I think I shall start the sanding at the "siesta time" this afternoon.

I send you a picture of the next of my sailors.

I hope the picture will not be censored, but this guy sits in a very natural position at the beakhead of the ship.

Of course, he doesn't look very martial, but... it has to be done, and with more than 500 people on board, it must be more frequent than shown by the general naval pictography.

post-1601-0-23741900-1367748971_thumb.jpg

Have a good (end of) WE

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

I love your latest crewmember. Why is it called the beakhead anyway? Poopdeck would be more appropiate.

Sanding at the 'siesta time? Hm, that should be ok, considering not many Belgian people will actually take a nap.

Enjoy the sanding.

Take care,

Anja

Enough for today.

Nice weather and a good trappist beer. The hull of my Agamemnon is more or less half sanded.

The other half will be for to morrow(?) and finishing too.

I wonder if it is necessary to finish it completely leaving almost no filler more. Anyway, there will be a second planking and also a copper shielding.

I am glad to see that my last crewmember was not disregarded. I still have a couple of others to show in the coming days.

Pierre

post-1601-0-21814600-1367769207_thumb.jpg

Today, the weather was dry and windy. Ideal for sanding in the garden.

I made the second half of the work.

My Aggie is now almost completely sanded. Still some finishing details to do near the keel and the stern.

Next step will be to redraw the gunports.

post-1601-0-60934300-1368124007_thumb.jpg

Pierre

Very nice solid start Pierre, nearly as nice as your Chimay...a perfect combination!  You mention realigning the gunports, is there something you would have done differently if you had to do it again?  I'm curious as I would love to tackle this ship in the future.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your comment.

Actually, I am not sure I am mastering the question of the gunports at this moment.

I first drafted carefully the position of the decks when I was making the first planking. It is, of course, a good idea to be able to check the height of the gunports. The problem is that after adding filler and sanding the hull the lines disappear.

Mobbsie advised me then to cut the gunports before filling and sanding, what I did.

But I rapidly discovered that the template supplied with the kit and the drawings were not always consistant.

You can see above in my previous post all the discussion on the final size of these gunports. (There is no difficulty for the quarter deck gunports, they are precut as happens on more recents kits)

Now, the hull is (almost) completely sanded (a too nice finish is not necessary) and I shall reposition all the gunports. Luckily, the holes already made are smaller than the final port. I have also to prepare some callipers to size properly the ports.

HMS Agamemnon is a very nice ship. Not too big, not too small. Nice lines. I am very happy with. The kit is of excellent quality.

Cheers,

Pierre

P.S.: Chimay is located at around 50 miles from my home. You know that Belgium is the country of the (true) trappist beers. Next time, I show another...

Very important: always drink them in theit genuine glass. The taste is different!!!

Hello Martin,

Here is another picture of what I did.

The main question was: is the bottom of the engraving black or yellow?

I finally decided to make only the panel yellow and all the engraving in black. I looked to others realisations and I got the impression that otherwise the yellow should be too impressive.

The magnification of the photography is showing the imprecision of my painting work... It is relatively difficult to respect the straight lines at the limit of the engraving. Hopefully, I think that it will not be very visible on the finished model.

You see also that I continued the panel in black. However, it is well possible that later I paint the interior of the room in white.

By the way, two or three layers of paint are necessary.

I hope I answered your question.

Pierre

post-1601-0-33945700-1368782112_thumb.jpg

I am still trying to position correctly my gunports. It's a little nightmare.

Now, I am mastering the level, but I discovered that the longitudinal positionning I made using the supplied template was not right at all.

So, I took the right location straight from the plans with reference to an easily identifiable line (the end of the quarter bulwalk). And, so, I could make a fair positionning. See the picture.

However, I discovered then that the dummy guns of the lower gundeck fixed in the center of the pieces nr 23 were not always fallinf in the center of the gunport.

At the time I had pierced the holes for the dummy guns, it appeared to be a good idea. But...

So, Martin, if you allow me to give a little advice, be very careful when you fix the pieces 61 and 62. Remember they will be used as a reference for starting your first planking, but later also to recheck the position of the gunports.

Have a good W-E.

Pierre

post-1601-0-53813800-1368978339_thumb.jpg

I am now back in France for a couple of weeks, hoping the weather will finally be better.

But I have many things to do here, so I didn't take very much to do for my Agamemnon. If I have time, I shall try to make some oars for the boats, and eventually to continue carving the captain for my crew.

But, I continue to be on the forum.

Pierre