USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

hi....this is not a real build log, but rather a once in awhile ''where i'm at build'' along with sharing some experiences along the way and seeking some advice..............hmmmmm....maybe that's a build log.....

i wasn't going to bother posting on this forum since i couldn't come close to competing with the exceptional builds here of the confederacy, since i'm a 30% impatient-30% trial- and 30% error builder....and as i've discovered.....no....i can't change, no matter hard i try...even at my age.........but.....somehow the models come out looking ok.........

so this is a ''don't do this at home'' kind of post....or bare my butt log........for example......i have the ship on my lap.....lean over to sand a plank on the belt sander, and gouge a chunk out of the the planking below the wales near the bow....ha!...and you know what, to top it off??...i panick!!.....and grab the sanding block and try to sand down the gouge, and of course i end up with paper thin planks.....so.....i have to cut out and replace maybe 5 planks at different lengths so they  would blend in better and not stand out like a square patch.....and that wasn't easy....if i slipped and cut into a neighbouring plank, i'd have to cut that one out too.......so there.....this is the me i have to deal with, and i thought people here, wouldn't mind getting a laugh at this, or experience an i've done that too :).........oh.....i oversanded a bit on another section too, but i just reinforced the back with 5 min epoxy instead of re-planking.....see how much fun this will be?....i have to say how nice that chuck designed so many bulkheads, which reduces this kind of thing from happening....for others, that is :)

used swiss pear, which is a wonderful wood to work with, though it does have a bit of mottling in the grain, which is why i decided to use the rub on satin urethane instead of the tung oil, which i would have really prefered, but didn't use, as it would bring out the grain more......have only applied a quick rub on with urethane, to check apperance.....will use bass on the deck......

i purchased a few cannons from syrene ship model cause the ones in the kit were ...hmmmmm........

anyways, i'll mold and cast them, and paint the number required instead of purchasing all brass.....they do seem a bit slim though, and i wonder if the nozzle hole should be widened somewhat.......and of course, i found a better ships wheel......

anyways, until next time, and we'll see what other foibles i can come up with.....

oh....i do have to say that this is a super kit, and so much fun!.....and so much work has gone into the plans and manual...never seen anything like it....and in english!!!...a first for me.......now i can find out what everything is called...ha!......cheers, vic

post-12143-0-33784800-1420495129_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-00194200-1420495140_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-21588500-1420497655_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Looks like you're off to a fine start.  That swiss pear looks fabulous.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I agree with Augie! Looks just fine to me. I think you're being just a little too hard on yourself and you certainly shouldn't be embarrassed by posting a build log. It's one of those "we can learn from each other's mistakes.  ^_^

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

She looks wonderful Vic B) It is almost a shame to apply any colour,instead leaving everything Pear i.e.Belgian style.I agree with George,modesty is a good quality,but I think you are being far to hard on yourself.I would question anyone that claims they never make mistakes and some tasks take a number of attempts to get right.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Why not?  A coat of natural stain would bring out the depth beautifully!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Vic,

She's looking very good. I'm glad you shared her with us. I also have to admit that most of the accidents and

errors that you mention have been done multiple times by me so don't worry your in good company here! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

yea rusty, but after maybe 20 models built......you think i might have learned something??? :D :D :D ......maybe now you see my problem :) :) .............but really, there's no problem anymore....now that i've accepted and embraced my limitations, i can just sit back and enjoy the build,.............................vic

Edited by yancovitch

oh augie..me thinks i'll be sticking with the urethane satin, so i can't stain now, unless it's a stained urethane....i didn't oil because it would have come out too dark and all the grain would have been more exaggerated, which i was trying to avoid...on the wales etc i was thinking of a darker stained urethane instead of black but i don't know yet.....

oh, i just thought i'd add that what i wanted to do and didn't, is to epoxy or whatever the inside of the hull before sanding the planking, to avoid sanding too much where the ribs are, which in this case might not have been as important, since the ribs were quite close together. but if i had used the basswood, it might have been more effective.....is why i waited for installing the deck till after the planking.............

also, i just had an idea after the fact..........before starting, since i noticed the pearwood had some variation in color and grain....i think now that it would have been a good idea to lay out all the planking, and applied a thin coat of rub on polyurethane, which would have shown all the variation in color etc, and made it easy to choose which planks to use where..........after planking, being so thin, it would be easily sanded off...and this is mainly for hardwood planking..i don't know how absorbent basswood would be.......................anyways....food for though for the next modeler who starts this project.......then again, maybe everyone does this :)

Edited by yancovitch

Actually, it's probably unnecessary but I do it anyway --- apply a coat of diluted epoxy to wherever I can reach on the inside of the planking prior to sanding the outside.  Particularly on a single planked hull.  It really adds to the stiffness of the hull.  Rubbing alcohol makes a good diluent to make the epoxy easily brushable.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

ha!...another boo boo.....realized i used 1/16 instead of 1/32 plank for the black strake, so i made a little tool to sand it down to 1/32.......had to cut the sanding sheet on the tool, a little narrower than the plank i was sanding, so i wouldn't sand into the wales............

by the way, mabe 20 or more years ago i purchased 1/2 doz. metal carbide sanding sheets from sandvik, which were unbelievable helpful....haven't seen them since, and i'm still using them.....didn't sell enough i guess............

hmmm....am amazed how well chuck designed the pieces for the stern galleries....considering the multitude of angles and shapes........somehow, i ended up building them a little higher than on the plans, another fubb.....guess i didn't get the sills in just the right place..an error yes, but in a way, it feels better visually......forgive me chuck:)

really enjoying this kit fumbles or not........

post-12143-0-81980400-1420998410_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-25382300-1420998416_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

ok......still deciding whether or not to keep it natural, aside from the stern galleries...........

lucked out on the inner bulwarks....everything fit reasonably well, aside from the fact i had to raise the quarter deck clamp near the stern too accommodate the slightly higher galleries

used four pieces of thin laminated pearwood to make the cove

oh....i made a scraper for the double cove out of a xacto blade...for the 1/16th square strips....but....on the roof of the quarter galleries, i think i will sand them down and re-scrape the shape......cause i think they're too deep in contrast with the etched brass....

i may try to apply some ca with a pin or whatever to the small flat ornaments and try to give them some dimension, or find some other way.......will see what happens.....cheers...

post-12143-0-13290100-1421557176_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-52165100-1421557284_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

well i figure i'll just end up painting it traditional....otherwise it just wouldn't look like the confed.....still waiting for some swiss pear from the lumberyard for the stem and rudder etc......they said it was too cold to go out to the shed to cut the logs.........amazing....way up here in burns lake bc, it's only hovering around 0,,,,,,hope i wasn't too dynamic with the red......and i hope the slightly raised stern isn't too offensive to chuck, and those highly qualified here, and hope it won't void the warranty......i hadn't planned to do it :)

post-12143-0-42193200-1421702188_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-75904600-1421703477_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Red looks good.  It always stands out at this point.  After a while you'll forget it's even there.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That's an interesting idea!  Hope it works out for you.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Love the way this is looking, the pear looks very nice.  Love the idea to build up the PE part, was looking for an idea to do this and you just gave it to me.  Would you mind sharing how you get the CA glue into a dental syringe, and where do you get them?  I'll be following you from here on out.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

omg....haha, i guess it was worth posting my fumblings here after all, if it even helped one person....oh, i think you could just use a piece of the nylon tubing that comes with the ca, or purchase it separately.....as long as it has a tiny opening......my wife just happens to work in a dental office..............just used vallejo model color yellow ochre, covered with a light coat of minwax ipswich pine stain......still have some finishing work to do on them, like opening some blocked holes.....i may loose a bit of detail, but not much....

how about another flub....first effort on tiled floor.....made them horizontal instead of 45 degrees......second effort....didn't notice that the bass strips i used, were a bit too fat...i scrapped that................... so i cut off the triangular ends of the first effort and used them to build up the main section in the right locations....somehow it worked ok, but if you look in a certain light, you'll see that the four corners reflect differently........but of course only i will know that :)

post-12143-0-84676500-1422297558_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-30863900-1422297573_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Floor looks GREAT!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Let's see what math says!

Start with the diameter of the cannon balls:

post-14925-0-95469600-1422586723.png

Then do math!

Confederacy had 6lb and 12lb guns, and the scale is 1:64 (3/16" = 1').

Convert 1:64 to a decimal gives .015625 (1/64).

6lb = 3.49" diameter x .015625 = .0545" in diameter at scale = 1.384mm

12lb = 4.40" diameter x .015625 = .06875" in diameter at scale = 1.74625mm