USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

hello nils....you can see here.....i could have experimented more with putting on thinner layers so it wouldn't wrinkle as much when drying

oh, i should mention one thing about using microscope slide glass for windows....not advisable to use ca as an adhesive, which may be obvious to most, but not to me of course :).....although with the really fine glass mentioned here, it may not matter....i'll see after i acquire some....

ha...and i just noticed by looking at this photo, that i sanded a few sections of the hull without using a block ...the planking bends in towards the gunport.....being a fine sandpaper, i thought it wouldn't show......naughty naughty ..............

post-12143-0-94688100-1425920776_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Gallery looks great and I LOVE the '3D' decorations.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking forward to hearing how it works out w the cover slips!  Be interesting!

I also have to make some windows for my kit as the cast windows supplied by AL are awful so I will give the cover slip idea a try as well! If it fails, then it will be off to the craft or office store for some clear acetate sheet or similar to use instead!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

sorry, but acetate is a no no for me......i saw advertised here some clear epoxy  http://www.crystalclearepoxy.com/uv-poxy-clear/

thought it would be nice to fill the window panes with this stuff, but might be tricky...........maybe make a little frame on a piece of glass, spray with release agent, pour in a thin layer of resin, and place all the windows in the resin so the panes are filled.....let harden, remove the slab of windows and cut and trim them all.....just a thought

Guess with acetate it heads back to initial problem! 

Your epoxy idea is interesting...I'd just watch the air bubbles as the instructions in the link actually mention given you are looking for a very clear finish. Many years ago, I had to use a vacuum to completely pull out the air after mixing before using similar materials.  Another option is perhaps just cast a larger sheet than needed. The cured epoxy film should be pretty robust so you may be able to cut out the windows to size.  This way if you had a few air bubbles, you could avoid those areas.  

Cheers,

Nigel.

Vic,

the "3D" decor looks great, and thanks for sharing this, it is something to keep in mind......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

well..........it can be done, with the hands of a surgeon :).....need a very sharp diamond tip to scratch the surface without pressure that would break the glass......when i receive the replacement windows.....i think i'll go for it.......may use contact cement instead of ca, but ca should work for something so light..we'll see.....

hmmmmmm.....i always wondered what those little niches in the sides of the windows are for??

post-12143-0-69192600-1426215039_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Great to see using the coverslips is possible...we'll see how steady my hands are in a few weeks!  :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

• 5 weeks later...

well..........i kept worrying about the front end ......so i decided to get the basics down before going on....cut it all out of pear...yea....it is a challenge.......still lots more sanding to do etc etc...but i had to get everything in place first to make sure it all fit :)....anyone who built this part out of basswood, i take my hat off to him.....the head timbers shouldn't be a problem...though i don't mean they'll be easy :).....i'd make cardboard templates first......i figure now the worst is over :).............so much fun getting inspiration from the other fellas.......

post-12143-0-12583200-1428819539_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

That looks terrific.  Like yourself, I worry about that front  end but won't be tackling it for a while.  Nice job.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

ok ....could be better, but one has to decide how much effort one wishes to put into doing one's best, and that's my limit for now :).....will slim down the second rail......lots of finishing sanding to do, and in this case, sanding and shaping after the fact is preferable to me, as i can see where everything is in relation to everything eltz....decorations only on trial...and i notice the fellow with the thongs and the dolphin striker, has his lead underwear showing....hard to find a primer that sticks to lead :)..will have to redo.....

oh....i forgot.. ...i  did add some meat to the forward bulkheads to reshape the bow a bit... and regretfully, i had to get pearwood for the stem and stern from a different source....as the color was different as you can see in the photo....nice if i could darken it somehow...

maybe sound dumb, but i'l experimenting with applying stain after applying the rub on poly.....goes on more even and can build up a bit....then more poly.......we'll see..............

rudder done...still have to paint .....ran out of brass nails with the round heads......cap rail is a bit rounder.....

that will be it for a while......(the cannons :))                cheers......

oh....tremendous fun trying to shape those head timbers......close enough for jazz :)

ha....i just discovered something.......i used rub on poly because the tung oil made this particular wood too dark...but the new wood i bought was lighter....so instead of staining the new wood to darken it, i put oil on it and it became a little closer to the color to my original pear wood............to late to try on the rudder etc...hinges all glued in place, but will oil the rails.......for what it's worth......

post-12143-0-89317800-1429031435_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-42443600-1429033644_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

​She's looking fine Vic! Very nice! 

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Now THAT'S inspirational !!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks chuck for this great kit!....i don't know why, but it seems to force me to make more effort to do a better job and overcome my impatience and bad habits....although they still desperately cling on to me like salt and sugar :)........of all the ships i built, i'm enjoying this the most.....and i hope you will forgive me for various modifications i make, either through error, or mad impulses :).....

not something that would net you piles of money, you must have sacrificed a lot to provide us with these educational builds......how you find the time to do what you do is beyond me...........a wise man once told me ...if you need to get something done, ask a busy man :)

i'm sure my feelings are shared my many...cheers to you.................

Sweet.  Nice job on the figurehead and adornments.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks augie, fraid it's as good as it's gonna get for me...just don't have the patience like some of the fellas here :)...''figure'' it  livens up the ship somewhat and i also may just leave the brass cannons brass...chuck went to the trouble of making them so it's a shame to cover them up................... also, i may make a mold of the wolf etc, like someone elsed did here, instead of using the white metal......

Yes, Chuck's cannons really look good.  Hated painting them but I cheated a little bit and left them brass on the muzzle face.  Was tempted to do them like Mobbsie....leaving them brass  the last quarter inch to the muzzle.  You're the Cap'n !

It's a great kit.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Chuck has kits where?

Chuck carries a quality line of ship fittings and accessories.  Check here (it's also on the Forums page):

http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976