USF Confederacy by yancovitch - Model Shipways

• 11 months later...

So, you said that you were going to be coming back to work on this absolutely gorgeous build so I figured I had better get over here and catch up so I don't miss anything new. Looking forward to seeing her rigging come together. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

haha....from what i see of your build, you'll make mine look simplistic or even amaturish :D.........been out of touch with the forums aside from throwing in a photo here or there....uh...mostly there :P ............best thing though for me, was using pear wood or some other suitable hardwood....so much easier to work with, and when i pick up the model, it doesn't leave accidental fingernail gouges on the sanded surfaces :rolleyes: ......

if i used the basswood, i'd  have to put on my ballet slippers and wear a tutu :)

Edited by yancovitch

Glad to see you are back in business.  Love your work....    :D

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

very kind.....may not be as good a job as sawdust dave, but it should look nice in the end....cheated on the ratlines,..... no clove hitches...too small thread.....so now the ship will only have half the value when finished ...haha.......call me shortcut vic

i guess, when building, one has to decide the degree of accuracy or refinement one can do, or wishes to do.....hmmmm..even if i can feel very happy about something i build, when i look at some of the great modelers out there, i always am aware of my limitations whether self imposed or genetic :D .....but having fun is priority.....

• 4 months later...

hmmmm...been so long since i was working on it, cause i'm working on my la couronne.....but....i realize that i'm using the taubman's plans, which chuck said are not accurate....but i'm not smart enough or have enough patience to do more research :)...but i'll modify if i find anything needing change........gonna mickey mouse my way through them :).........thanks.....

• 9 months later...

I always find that the spaghetti stage is where I become truly awestruck by the rigging and the expertise that those sailors had to make it work right. During battle it would not have been uncommon to see the rigging looking like that as lines were destroyed by canon fire. To be able to make sense of it all and repair it quickly and correctly was truly a masterful skill.

Good luck! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Finally made it over to your Confederacy log Vic.

So you will become, as you know, the second fully rigged Confederacy in the world.

Whether completely accurate or not, I would not take anything for my rigged model.

Can’t wait to see your final.

Pulling up a chair from here out Mate.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking good....:)

But to correct Dave, there are actually quite a few fully rigged models of her in existence.  Most had followed the Corrothers plans rather than the Hahn plans.  Most notable is the Camaratta model hi-lighted in an old issue of model shipwright pictured below.

confederacy_137.jpg

Chuck

After all this time.... glad you told me this Chuck.

She really is extraordinarily beautiful with rigging.

Still my personal favorite build ever and I will be forever grateful to you for allowing me to work along with you as you designed her.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Greetings fellow Confederacy fans. Can any of you direct me to a source of the rigging plans that are  3/16"=1'?

I am working on the stern lights now so I have a good way to go before I make the final decision to rig.

Those of you who have rigged her have met the challenge with skill and great patients, inspirational. 

If any of you have a log of the dimensions of the masts and spares that you could share, that would

be a great help. I have the plans for the rigging of a frigate 40 circa 1790 which, I think,

can provide a reasonable base.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Just to expand on what Chuck wrote, Camarata's Confederacy model was very well researched and his rig is based on Crother's review of others primary source material, notably Dr. DH Robinson's article and survey of material in the Nautical Research Journal (Volume 8, No. 2). So, I would say Justin's rig is probably pretty close to the original. Perhaps he might be willing to provide you with his plan.

Insidently, all the window frames and muntins were photoetched. That's why they look so perfect.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 months later...

Awesome build.  Beautiful work and the result is simply outstanding.......:D

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea