1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing Runabout by gjdale - FINISHED -Dumas - 1:8 Scale - RADIO

Thanks Ragove and Sam,

Sam - the hinges and stays came from MACK products (http://www.mackproductsrc.com) ; the screws are from Jim Morris company (https://jimorrisco.com). 

super looking hatch Grant......do the inner guides fold away from the wiring?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye,

Good pick-up. Yes, it's a tight squeeze in there. I had to re-locate the position of the receiver on the port side so that the hatch stay cleared it as it went down. Starboard side is okay, but still tight.

Hi Grant:

Late to the party here - this is some really incredible and exacting work - the metal work is especially impressive to me! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks Hamilton and welcome to the build - never too late for this party!

Another minor update of sorts. I had to re-visit the installation of the Engine Hatches as the hinge mounting failed. The hinges were initially epoxied to the hatches and then attached to the hatch frame with attachment tape (a type of double sided tape). The tape gave way, so I had to reconsider the whole setup. In the end, I made two shims from some scrap 3/64” thick Red-heart and epoxied these to the outboard side of the hinge flap. The shims were then epoxied to the hatch frame and held in place with map pins while the glue set. Once the pins were removed, I filled the holes with a few brass nails. Of course, the shims added just enough width to the hatch assemblies to prevent them from closing properly, so I then had to sand down the mating faces until the hatch would open and close properly. The photo below shows the completed “fix”, although touch up painting is still required.

596c37ab6ec8c_211HatchHingeRe-do.jpg.6bdd53f17421d640acf973cea652b644.jpg

I was then able to drill the holes for the 000-120 screws, which were then individually epoxied in place…..all 130 of them.  The heads of the screws were also aligned to the long axis of the trim piece, so that fore/aft trim pieces had screw heads aligned fore/aft, and athwartships trim pieces had screw heads aligned athwartships. It’s a little hard to see in the photo, but trust me…they are aligned!

596c37b542d60_212HatchTrimScrews1.jpg.90caf1a2431e7166521e886dbb54247e.jpg

And here’s an overall shot for perspective:

596c37bf28790_213HatchTrimOverview.jpg.2fd1c1666229730e98d422b4a1127e3e.jpg

4 hours ago, gjdale said:

It’s a little hard to see in the photo, but trust me…they are aligned!

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute Grant :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

sweet look'in boat Grant :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind comments and likes folks. 

It seems a long time since the last update, but progress has been steady with all of the final fittings. I re-made a number of the fittings: The Exhaust, Gas Cap, Rear Flag Pole Base, and Hatch Cover Handles. With all of these, the castings were useable, but the time and effort to clean up the flash and then polish and potentially re-plate them meant that it was easier to re-make them. All were made from brass and chrome plated on completion. I added some knurling to the lid of the Gas Cap just for some extra interest (and because I hadn’t used the knurling tool on my lathe yet;)).

The Fwd and Aft Flagpoles were turned on the lathe from walnut stock, after first drilling them to receive lighting wires and/or brass locator pins. Another fairly straight forward exercise that posed no particular problems. Both the flagpoles have been made removable to provide some protection during transit to and from the lake.

I had ordered some replacement cloth flags from BECC but was a little disappointed in the product when they arrived – they are only printed on one side. So I used the kit provided flags instead and the “client” is happy with these.

Once the final soldering of the lighting wires was completed and tested, it was time to present the completed boat to the “client” for provisional acceptance. She was delighted with the final product. All that remains now is sea trials prior to final acceptance. Given that a successful float test has already been completed in the domestic testing facility, sea trials may need to wait until the weather warms up a bit as the manual recovery system says he doesn’t wasn’t to go swimming just yet! :P

With that, I’m calling DONE! :):):):dancetl6::dancetl6::dancetl6:

Here are a few glam shots of the final product.

599035603bdab_214PortBow.thumb.jpg.53ce1c6eb2bb4ab978f27187502dd2f2.jpg

5990356bc044c_215StbdBow.thumb.jpg.fc0338e5f68c599fac750381d6823326.jpg

5990356f38c4c_216FwdCockpit.jpg.9708eab92a554f13412477a1c2acd65b.jpg

59903572873e3_217FwdCockpit.jpg.6f6383563eb3bdff6e346c98d88fcb79.jpg

599035781af0f_218EngineHatch.jpg.e1d9b5d48206fb917a43cd133b703ba9.jpg

5990357be1de0_219SternView.thumb.jpg.01ec1ce7ba257ee12fcf69a2249f1fff.jpg

5990357f6b684_220SternView.thumb.jpg.9af24acd8bdeeb5a436b6431e2718bfe.jpg

59903582b488f_221GastTank.jpg.881b6dc8432b73021a9827cbd11e6328.jpg

59903585a4dff_222FwdCockpit.jpg.ed32b75abc42e71db166dc86538310f1.jpg

59903589362dd_223StbdQtr.thumb.jpg.44c797e3bec0b551699ba1c30eba09e2.jpg

Absolutely wonderful Grant, you can feel really chuffed about the final product :). Are you going to enter her in the Canberra Model Show this year? I'm tipping "Best in Show" ;).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks very much Danny. Hadn't thought about the show. Hmmmmmmmm........ maybe..........

Beautiful work Grant.  Hope you show some photos of the 'sea trials'

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Sweet, Grant.  She's a stunning model and yes.. she should be entered in a show.   I hope the sea trials go well with no problems.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks very much Slog, Bob, Don, Ken, Sjors and Mark, and all the "likes". I hope to take a short video when we do eventually get to sea trials.

Hi Grant,

Simply stunning mate.

Dan is right, take her to the Canberra show and recieve and accept the plaudits owed to you.

She really is a work of art.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey Mobbsie - nice to see you back here my friend, and thanks for the kind comments.

'bout time we saw some more sawdust from you ain't it? 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Grant,

to your elegant runabout beauty, a lovely boat...

nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Grant,

Wow!  What a stunning runabout.  The time, approaches, and attention to detail you've put in have really paid off - this is such a beautiful model!

Cheers,

Elia

Edited by Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout