Here are some test results I made importing a image into SolidWorks 2004

The original image is 300 dpi jpg, RGB. I also used a tiff file at 300 dpi with the same results.

Upon import SW enlarges the image by a factor of 3x and reduces the quality as near as I can figure to 72 dpi. I am able to resize the image back to the original dimensions but this does not restore the quality.

post-306-0-55205000-1421857425_thumb.jpg

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

Possibly the issue is that SW brings in bitmaps @ 1pixel = 1mm, but it has an upper limit in bitmap size:

"If you insert a sketch picture of a .tiff file, the resolution is limited to 4096 x 4096. Files that exceed this limit are cut in half until both dimensions meet the limit. For example, if you insert a .tiff file that is 5000 x 3000, the file is reduced to 2500 x 1500. "

from: http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Sketch_Picture.htm?id=77ff4d3c54244bd1bc54871fb6cc9a7f

I wonder if making the original bitmap sized within this frame @300 dpi would help?  Or if you are already doing that, I guess I got nothin...

I just gave that a try Bob by creating a 300 dpi, 1bit image saved as a bmp and the results were a little worse as the image is grainer.

post-306-0-06492100-1421864682_thumb.jpg

Probably for the purposes of tracing my first efforts produced an image that is useable.

Edited by Don9of11

www.howefamily.com

hmmm.  Have you tried this?

(Quoted from: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/27569 )

For reasons I don't understand, Select, Ctrl + C and Ctr+ V brought in a much better image than Insert > Picture > Browse.I  use an open source graphics software (GIMP), not Adobe, and am running SW 2012.  The logo image was an 800 KB Tif file, which I'd sized to 19 mm high X 45 mm long, and 400 ppi in GIMP.  It was not compressed.  When pasted (Ctr+V'd) into my template, it appeared larger than all my other attempts.  (Prior attempts with Insert > Picture all came in an inappropriate large size, mostly regardless of image size or resolution, except for some tiny PNGs.  Some of the images looked good when first brought in, but fell to pieces when I scaled them down to the size I wanted.)  But this time, when I scaled the logo within SolidWorks by dragging a corner of it, it didn't turn into a jagged-edged, pixelly mess with fine lines all melted away.  It looked, well, legible.

OK, I'm opening a new part file in SW. I also opened my jpg image in MS Paint then  using Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V tried to paste it back into SW and my version of says "The item on the clip board cannot be pasted here" 

So, I decided to open a drawing file and did the Ctrl + V;  it imports the jpg image very nicely, no distortions or raggedy edges. But how do I get back to my part file so I can trace over it and create a sketch?

-----

OK, after some trial and error, I got the jpg image to copy into a SW part file. However, the image is just part of the background so if you try and rotate the image, you can't and it's not associated with any plane. You can certainly resize it and granted there are no raggedy edges or distorted lines but it's quite useless in this state.

Edited by Don9of11

www.howefamily.com