HMS Victory by knotty74 - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75 - first ever ship build, wood or otherwise

Stunning work there, Knotty.

I love the work you did on the flag-lockers ... and the additions you have made to the binnacle and stair bannisters shows you to be a Kit-Basher after me own 'eart !!

Keep it up.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I now know that the roundhouses are not on the poop deck , sorry for any confusion ,(although i still think it should be called the poop deck) .Hope you got the jist of my explanation , as you are painting fillers could also be used to smooth them of ?

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a look round some of the other builds now I'm on here, I realised how inadequate the guns were that I'd built previously and so did a lot more work on one of them over the last couple of nights to see if I could make it look better. Repainted the wheels to a wood colour (rather than black), painted in the trunions and fastenings, made breeching eyebolts from brass eyelets, added a train tackle loop and used black wire and used some additionally purchased single blocks, rigging rope and brass hooks to build a representation of the train rigging.

These ones are to go on the mainly hidden gundeck and so the front of the cannon will be pushed up again the inner hull wall and so I won't need to attach the front end of the breeching rope to eyebolts.

I think they look so much better now. Attached a before and after example.

post-17472-0-41495100-1425072577_thumb.jpg

Edited by knotty74

Current build: HMS Victory - Billings Boats - 1:75 (first ever ship build)

Greetings Chris

Well you have really moved on since my last visit. Your build is going like a dream, and you are without doubt really enjoying it. Having looked through your log you will never be lost for advice should you need it, as it appears most of the seats are full . Just keep enjoying it... DAVID

Wise move with the guns , I went to a lot of bother full rigging them and most of it was wasted cause they don,t really be seen and i suspect wnen the gigging etc is finished they will be seen even less ,but at least i learned how to rig a cannon ?

Got my roundhouses done last night. Tight curving but with some soaking in boiling hot water and heating again over a candle flame, managed to get it curved enough. Then sanded off and painted both the blue and yellow detailing.

post-17472-0-03745600-1425547036_thumb.jpg

Edited by knotty74

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of other little bits done today, constructed the bell tower and painted it walnut wood colour and then realised it should be black when I checked my Haynes manual for pics. Learning point - check the books first before picking up paint brush!

Also, had bought some rum barrels from CWB and so painted the metal rings onto them. Each ring needed painting 3 times, as just painted the raised ridge gave a wiggly line down both sides, so each side needed tidying up. Think they'll add some authenticity though and look alright.

post-17472-0-39887500-1426363872_thumb.jpg

post-17472-0-86504200-1426363882_thumb.jpg

Edited by knotty74

• 2 years later...

Work and family (life in general) meant I took an 18 month sabbatical! Realised only the other day that I hadn't posted on here for over 2 years :( (people will have thought I'd passed away!!). Anyway, have been doing some more bits recently, having come back to her and wanting to get cracking again.

Still not finished the hull planking but have done some other peripheral bits, so will upload some pics shortly.

The Billings kit doesn't come with any ship's boats. So I researched and tried to find a small boat kit that could be customized to give a decent representation and bought 2 of the "longboat" kits from Amati. I also pilfered a 3rd one from the leftover, unused kit from my Bro-in-Law's abandoned Victory monthly-magazine build.

The Haynes manual has some good pics and I had loads I'd taken myself on my actual visit to try and replicate the colour schemes. Happy enough with how they've come out. I've also scratch built some cradles to sit them on the skidbeams, from the leftover sprue that the original bulkheads came out of.

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.jpg

12.JPG

All 10 guns for the upper gundeck have now been finished off and rigged (of a fashion, as mostly won't be seen, especially now I have the boats for the skidbeams).

Have also completed the 8 for the upper deck and added some more rigging for those given they'll be seen more. Have got rear rigging trains too for the 2 that will sit on the foredeck.

Also finished the 2 fore deck carronades and added some rigging.

2.JPG

3.PNG

4.JPG

5.JPG

7.JPG

Completed both the entranceways. Used pics from the books and actual to see the roof was copper (now oxidized green, so will need to weather mine when I do my hull, bought some Humbrol chrome oxide weathering powder).

Hard to get the decorations in such small scale. So freehanded some swirls and put the dots round the top with the end of a toothpick! To gove a sense of scale I placed a 5p piece next to it (about the same size as a dime, if anyone's from the other side of the pond).

10.JPG

11.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
The pictures from Portsmouth appear to show the longboat as clinker built, not carvel built. Do you know what planking method is used on the Victory Boats? I am buildiing the Heller Victory and am trying to figure this out. On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, knotty74 said:

The Billings kit doesn't come with any ship's boats. So I researched and tried to find a small boat kit that could be customized to give a decent representation and bought 2 of the "longboat" kits from Amati. I also pilfered a 3rd one from the leftover, unused kit from my Bro-in-Law's abandoned Victory monthly-magazine build.

The Haynes manual has some good pics and I had loads I'd taken myself on my actual visit to try and replicate the colour schemes. Happy enough with how they've come out. I've also scratch built some cradles to sit them on the skidbeams, from the leftover sprue that the original bulkheads came out of.

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.jpg

12.JPG

G'day Chris, you're doing a marvelous job on a very imposing vessel! Enjoying watching your build.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

33 minutes ago, Tallshiptragic said:

G'day Chris, you're doing a marvelous job on a very imposing vessel! Enjoying watching your build.

Thanks a lot, TST! Currently in the middle of hull planking, so updates taking a while again. Nearly completed one side. Will still need filling and sanding but at least it's progress.

I'd found some rum barrels some time ago and painted the black rings on them. I was going to just lash the round the base of the masts until I saw the picture below from the DeAgostini build instructions, with them lashed in pairs on a skid arrangement, to sit on the forecastle next to the galley flue.

So, using some wooden stirrers acquired from Costa Coffee, I fashioned some skids and used the same nylon thread I used for the deck caulking and on the anchors, to attach the barrels to them. I think they look a fairly decent representation based on just that one pic in the other kit instructions!

IMG_4793.JPG

11066612_10153224687782754_6120195247113716954_n.jpg

IMG_4792.JPG

7 hours ago, clearway said:

Good luck with the planking Chris - you certainly jumped in at the deep end choosing this as your first build!:P

Keith

Thanks, Keith. My planking may end up a liitle unauthentic but never mind. The paint will hide most sins!

• 11 months later...

Another long hiatus (new job and baby - life eh!) but back on it. Hull planking now completed and sanded and filled etc. Copper bottom (not doing the 2,000+ plates) painted using the Admiralty Paints set but a bit too shiny for my liking, so decided to have a go at "weathering" it for oxidisation of the copper and algae-growth, using the Humbrol chrome oxide. So aiming for a copper but green tinge overlay effect. Final pic is all dried and sealed with matt clear sealant and the Tamiya tape removed. Fairly happy for a first go!IMG_0669.JPGIMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Edited by knotty74

• 5 months later...