HMS Victory by knotty74 - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75 - first ever ship build, wood or otherwise

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2015 at 1:56 AM, knotty74 said:

Stern taffrail

I decided to have a break from the planking and so had a go at seeing if my small-scale painting was going to be any good. The taffrail that comes with the kit is a piece of naff ply and so I bought the cast one from CMB. Very pleased with how it came out.

post-17472-0-56471300-1422259000_thumb.jpg

post-17472-0-52217900-1422259008_thumb.jpg

post-17472-0-53843700-1422259017_thumb.jpg

I can't find CMB on a google search to buy the Taffrail for my Billings HMS Victory can't anyone give me a lead ?  Thanks Marty

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Back to it. Wanted to build some representation of the firebuckets to hang behind the binnacle (now in situ). Used circles to give 4 buckets, printed with the crown emblem on. Look slightly too big but they'll do, given nothing came with the kit.

244710817_300806844824073_3545295134402608702_n.jpg

244725309_837722220235966_4420306515090040140_n.jpg

244727776_235360688642681_8059409339881875892_n.jpg

244743289_593795225095722_4411169725085912378_n.jpg

Current build: HMS Victory - Billings Boats - 1:75 (first ever ship build)

Not a lot left to do on the hull now, after all the recent work. More gunport lids (and ropes) to do and the rest of the safety netting. I'm going to replace the green netting (that came with the kit) on the stairs, as I think the black (tuille) looks much better.

I'm then going to use some milliput to fashion some hammocks to go round the outside.- Pretty much done at that point and I can finally move on to the masts and rigging!

Current build: HMS Victory - Billings Boats - 1:75 (first ever ship build)

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

What have I done!? I’ve always wanted to build a good sized HMS Victory. Building Spitfires, Messerschmitts, F1 cars and the odd Navy warship (all plastic) obviously made me an expert! Silly boy. Anyway I bought the Billing boats 75:1. THEN I found this site and, read the comments. Okay it’s a daunting task but the instructions are so perfect :(( can anyone tell me how on earth I do the deck planks? I’m not even sure what wooden strips to use. Do I lay them one by one, cutting out the holes for the stairs etc? Or do I cut the holes, glue them to the false deck, then put that in place? Hope that makes sense. Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards,

David K.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:46 AM, David K said:

What have I done!? I’ve always wanted to build a good sized HMS Victory. Building Spitfires, Messerschmitts, F1 cars and the odd Navy warship (all plastic) obviously made me an expert! Silly boy. Anyway I bought the Billing boats 75:1. THEN I found this site and, read the comments. Okay it’s a daunting task but the instructions are so perfect :(( can anyone tell me how on earth I do the deck planks? I’m not even sure what wooden strips to use. Do I lay them one by one, cutting out the holes for the stairs etc? Or do I cut the holes, glue them to the false deck, then put that in place? Hope that makes sense. Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards,

David K.

Hi David, somewhere back in the Ether on this section you will find billings victory builds by shihawk and myself as well (still to finish mine)! read the instructions several times then read again, yes lay the deck planks one by one as on most builds  to be honest though Vicky is a mammoth task especially if no prior experience with wooden shipbuilding.

Keith

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, clearway said:

Hi David, somewhere back in the Ether on this section you will find billings victory builds by shihawk and myself as well (still to finish mine)! read the instructions several times then read again, yes lay the deck planks one by one as on most builds  to be honest though Vicky is a mammoth task especially if no prior experience with wooden shipbuilding.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I’ve looked closely at yours, Shihawk and Knotty’s build. Quite incredible really. I’ve started the build and, despite pouring over the incredible work you guys have done, along with reading the instructions countless amount of times, I’ve still made mistakes. The instructions just don’t make sense in many ways, to me. When I work out how to post a build log, I’ll do it, as the mistakes I’ve made (then fixed) are ones that you experts never would. Hopefully I can help novices like me, not muck up like I did/am. Thanks again mate

On 12/20/2022 at 6:18 AM, David K said:

Thanks Keith! I’ve looked closely at yours, Shihawk and Knotty’s build. Quite incredible really. I’ve started the build and, despite pouring over the incredible work you guys have done, along with reading the instructions countless amount of times, I’ve still made mistakes. The instructions just don’t make sense in many ways, to me. When I work out how to post a build log, I’ll do it, as the mistakes I’ve made (then fixed) are ones that you experts never would. Hopefully I can help novices like me, not muck up like I did/am. Thanks again mate

No Problem Dave- it is classed as "for the expert" by billings so they assume you will know a lot of the basics already- really really must fire my Vicky up again.

Keith

• 7 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, Andrewj said:

I,m in the process of building Billings HMS Victory and your build log is most useful. I woder if you could tell me where you got the safety netting support brackets. 

Welcome to MSW Andrew. 

This topic has not had an entry in 8 months do you may not get a response.  You can PM the builder and ask him directly, or if you want to have more members give input on the netting brackets, do a post in the Ship's Deck Furniture forum.   

Again, welcome aboard.   It would be really nice if you would post a little introduction about yourself in the new member forum here at MSW. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 8/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, Andrewj said:

I woder if you could tell me where you got the safety netting support brackets. 

Hi Andrew- i bought  Victory etchings set from Cornwall Model Boats (Panart i think at 1:78 scale)

Edited by clearway
typo