Constitution by Geoff Matson - Model Shipways 2040 - 1/76 scale

Great work and I really like the idea of the double case.  I have a major problem with dust and doghair in my workshop since its in the basement and by the air returns.  Your system would work well.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Wes

I eventually want to go over to the dark side and give the scratch building a try. So I figure the more tools the easier it will be.  As for the ropewalk it is an outstanding product as are all of Jim Byrnes tools. The main thing about the rope walk is that it gives you the option to make many sizes of line. Once you have the ropewalk the thread to make the rope is  not very expensive at all. The other thing is that there is a lot of waste with rigging line. It always seems to take a foot of line to tie one small knot. The cost is not too bad if you figure you will be modeling for awhile. With all the kits I have I will need to live to about 108 to finish them all so I figure I will get my moneys worth :D .

Scott

The double case is only until I start the masting, then it will be just the big dock. That way it will wasy to slide the Conny out and work on her and then slide her back in when done for the day.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Geoff, makes perfect sense....  Can't wait to follow your results with the ropewalk!  You may just've talked me into it (not to hard to do though when it comes to tools)

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, your build is looking really nice...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

So...... I think I have my rigging all figured out. I will be making all my line for the Constitution with the Byrnes ropewalk

post-747-0-85582800-1384225411_thumb.jpg

I will be using mercerized cotton line from Coats and Clark, 30wt and 35 wt, Gutermann 50wt, DMC #5,#8,#10,#12,Lizbeth 20wt,80wt, and Aunt Lydias #10 and #3. All can be purchased at Hobby Lobby or Joanne Fabrics. This gives me 11 sizes of 1 strand, 11 sizes of three strand and 11 sizes of 9 strand. This gives me a range in size of .006" up to .062" or about 30 plus sizes of line. This will give me all the sizes I need to rig the Constitution. All the line will be seized with Gutermann 50wt.

Here are few of the first pictures of my rigging showing the Bobstay Bulleyes, Bowsprit Shroud Collars, and the Dolphin Striker bullseyes.

post-747-0-51841600-1384226037_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-93338700-1384226063_thumb.jpg

Most of the lines were attached using a figure eight knot.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff,

That looks really good! I'm about where you are-I should be attaching bobstays in the next couple of days.

I'm trying to make all my line using Jim's ropewalk too. I've had a few problems, but it's coming out nice now. The biggest problem I have now is the cats chasing the line when I thread it on the spools :D

Harvey

Harvey I know what you mean with the cats. That is why I built the enclosed area for the Conny. You will find the figure eight knot works great for the attachments. I am working on the lift blocks and the foot ropes next. It will be fun to watch each others progress. Just remember it is not a race :D

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff a question about making ropes and dying them.

Are you doing the coloring before making the threads or after they are made into rope?

I did the latter and found that the finished rope was very stiff because the dye fills the spaces between the threads. This makes it hard to install the ratlines, for example. I am using a needle and thread for the ratlines instead of tying knots. I actually have to brush on some acetone to soften small parts of the shrouds in order to have the needle go through a bit easier.

The same applies when making coils, etc.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay  So far I am on the Standing Rigging and am happy with the natural result of the black mercerized cotton line. So no dying yet. Will have to access things when I get to the running rigging.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I have finished my off the model rigging of the Bowsprit. I was happy with rope made on the Byrnes ropewalk. Here are few pictures. The bowsprit was just dry fitting into the hull.

post-747-0-70855200-1384462215_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-20676000-1384462250_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-88893500-1384462235_thumb.jpg

Now onto the shrouds.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Goeff, I like what you are doing with the bowsprit. The more you can do on the bench, the better.

Nice job on those foot ropes.

I am still curious when you get to the running lines, how dyeing before or after might work for you. But you have lots of time for that. The standing rigging was fun and I know you will continue doing an excellent job.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

Harvey - I just realized you don't have a build log for your Conny! Well Happy birthday bud see you tomorrow!! The admiral also says happy birthday.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Jay  I am not sure about the dying either. I think if I can find the right color of line I will try to go natural. However If I were to dye the line I will have to experiment with it to see which way works best. I am leaning toward making the line and then dying it. Thanks for your interest.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff, I cannot emphasize enough to do as much as possible on the bench. You did that with the bowsprit and I notice you installed the deadeyes on the platforms.

I might have gone a bit overboard on mine, but I found it not to be a serious hindrance to add the halyards, the various blocks that are strapped to the mast, and even the halyards for flags. Later on you will find the same to be the case for the spars.

But I know you are well aware of this, so pardon my preaching to the preacher.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Here are my thoughts on my masting and rigging efforts. After talking with some of the modelers from Model club I have decided to rig as much as I can off the model and rig it from the deck up as opposed to cluing the masts all together into one big mast. This way I hope keep the rats nests of line to a minimum and not break anything in the process. I made some blocks to keep my masts parts together while I rig them and will assemble on the model as needed

post-747-0-46847500-1384880155_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-66527500-1384880188_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-90308300-1384880208_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-48519000-1384880229_thumb.jpg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Here are my thoughts on my masting and rigging efforts. After talking with some of the modelers from Model club I have decided to rig as much as I can off the model and rig it from the deck up as opposed to cluing the masts all together into one big mast.

Right on Geoff. If you were to glue the masts together. you would need to install the lower and upper shrouds as well as some of the stays before you assemble the masts. That can lead to tangles. After I installed the lower masts, I continued to add things to it before putting on the next mast section and the mast tops.

Jay

I started to rig the Foremast with shrouds. I am using Lizbeth 20wt 3 strand thread for the shrouds. The shrouds are served with Gutermann 50wt thread one the center 5 inches. Then the shrouds are seized to mast with Lizbeth 80wt thread. All thread seizings and servings are glued with watered down white glue. Here are a few pictures.

post-747-0-82390200-1385060897_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-14884800-1385060918_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-01455500-1385060948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Looks like the way to go, Geoff. One suggestion:

Try to keep the shrouds evenly spaced on top. In other words, as each shroud goes down along the mast, be sure there is an even gap between them. This becomes important when you do the rat lines. I am finding on mine that some of the shrouds are spaced a bit off and it makes the rat lines look off also.

Jay

Thanks for the heads up Jay.

Right now the shrouds are just sitting there. I think my idea will work out well. I am working on the fore topmast now. I noticed in Bobs plans he leaves off the rigging parts for the sails and since I am going to add the sails I will do the same thing. Maybe a little less of a rats nest. The one thing I have found out is the line made with the ropewalk is a little stiffer than the kit supplied line and just looks and fells better. I am not hardening the line with weights or anything, just taking it off the ropewalk, give it a couple of quick stretches and attaching it to the model.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Still working on rigging the foremast. The deadeyes and blocks are just dry fitting into the line and will be adjusted once put on the model. So far I have been happy with my off model approach to rigging. The platforms holding the mast has worked well. It makes it easy to use the third hand to do the seizings and the miniature clothes pin I picked up at Hobby Lobby really work nice holding things in place. I am learning a lot about the names of the lines and their points of origin and attachment.  

post-747-0-22473200-1385413112_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-39923500-1385413126_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-69835500-1385413153_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-52263800-1385413168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Yes Harvey I am serving the shrouds where they go around the masts. About an inch and half or so in the middle and then seize it to the mast. I did not serve the whole length of the first shroud. just where it goes around the mast.  I am kind of serving the lines where ever they go around wood. When I get to the tops, just seizing and no serving. Trying to figure out how to make a mouse for the lines that need it. May just go with the wooden facsimile and paint it black. Because of the scale of the Conny  some of rigging details kind of get lost. So doing the best with what I have. Hope your rigging is going well.  

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I finished my off ship rigging of the Foremast.

I installed about 2/3rds of the rigging on the masts themselves and the rest I made up the lines and stored them in plastic food bags to keep the clutter down until I am ready to actually install the rigging for real. I was quite happy with this method as I did not worry about everything getting all tangled up. What made the rigging the shrouds a lot easier was the fact I could serve and seize the lines off the mast and then just slip them over the tops and then tighten them up. I did the same thing with the deadeyes and blocks. That way when I am ready for the final rigging all I have to do is tighten up the seizings.

post-747-0-47862000-1385666261_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-33365500-1385666279_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-03053300-1385666297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666