Constitution by Geoff Matson - Model Shipways 2040 - 1/76 scale

Looks great Geoff. I was tempted to make and install the stuns'l booms to help stabilize the support fittings (the aft one gets really banged up), but I wasn't sure they would be in the way of rigging. I see that they are.

Thanks for posting the photos!

Harvey

Well, I finished the fore and aft bumpkins. I used basswood for the bumpkins Square plastic for the iron band and wire for the rods. Just took everything off the plans.

post-747-0-82952500-1365358234_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-16226900-1365358147_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-50262900-1365358131_thumb.jpg

The one Thing I noticed is that once the bowsprit is installed it is going to be a tight fit to install the chains around the bowsprit :o

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Hello Geoff

Beautiful work. the details on the masts are amazing. Your bowsprit turned out excellent also.

I tend to spend way too much time thinking things over myself. I prefer to think of it as internal research rather then putting it off. The difference is the amazing detail that was produced by that stalling/thinking. I like the pace that model ship building forces us to take sometimes. Its a slow precise hobby and your mastering it. I can't wait to see your rigging, as I'm sure it will conform to the excellency of the rest of your conny build.

Nicely done Geoff. Your conny is looking excellent!

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I second that !! 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I just relooked over your log, to evaluate your use of styrene and on my previous post I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that this is a 1:76 kit. I'm even more astounded with the details of the masts and their components then on my previous look. One often forgets to look at the scale before evaluating. Such detail at such scales is a definite mark of a true artist.

Looking forward to seeing those masts rise and standing ringging go on.

Looks like we are at the two ends of the state. I am right on the Ill. Wis. Border. Thanks for the comments. I wish the Conny was of a larger scale so you could show more details. But if it was You have have to keep it in a garage! :)  I am now working on the yards, A lot shaping and sanding to get them right.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

In looking over your last set of images, I took particular notice of the stern and have two questions.

First, how did you create the "Constitution" nameplate with such fine lettering detail. Is this self made decal, part of the kit, or what?

Second, what is the purpose of the rudder chain? Obviously it's not part of the steering mechanism. The only thing I've been able to hazard a guess is, it is some kind of fail safe to catch the rudder should it fall off during battle or storm. If that is the case why are there three chain loops. Are they decoration or do they serve some sort of purpose like a shock absorber to prevent breakage should the chain suddenly become taut due to a falling rudder?

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for your interest

The lettering on the name plate is just dry tranfer lettering from woodland senics. Very east to use.

As for the chains on the rudder. I think you are right about it being a fail safe to keep the ruddr from breaking away. Not sure as why there are three loops. That is what is on the plans.  If I were to do it over I would blacken the chain and not have it brass.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on the yardarms

Since I have no lathe here are the tools I use to make the yardarms.

post-747-0-02997200-1366742229_thumb.jpg

I start with a square dowel and sand it down.

Here is the yard before painting.

post-747-0-46275500-1366742258_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-85171600-1366742271_thumb.jpg

Again I used styrene to simuliate the wood battens and iron fittings. Here it is painted

post-747-0-01617000-1366742288_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-59897800-1366742303_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-44364000-1366742318_thumb.jpg

The studding sails dowels were colored with Burnt Sienna oil paint.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Good work Geoff. I hadn't thought about using square dowels.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff:

I can never find good straight dowels. So I make my own. For the Conny they are a strip of poplar wood from Menards. I then cut them to proper size and then sand away.      

themadchemist:

The sanding blocks are made by GreatPlanes and called easy-touch hand sander. They fit good in your hand and are easy to use. I have five of them with grits of 80,100,150,180 and 220. Makes sanding alot easier.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Hi Geoff

Just caught up on your log. Beautiful work indeed. I always tip my hat to those who take on this model - it is epic and you doing it a great justice. Will follow from now on.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I finished the Fore, Main and Mizzen lower yards

post-747-0-20402600-1367600048_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-52605300-1367600065_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-75555600-1367600079_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-04209100-1367600092_thumb.jpg

One of the draw backs with using oil paint to simulate the bright colors is that it tends to rub off with ahndling and will nedd to be touched up. No big deal.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff, the alignment of those eyebolts and jackstays is perfect!!! Great job, my friend. I wish mine were that good.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay

Those jackstays took some time. I am now working on the top sail yards and want to make the jackstays one size smaller and do the same for the top gallant yards. The top gallant yards will be a challange to make. But I love a challange. :)

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the pictures I'll be using them with my Morgan to follow how you've done the yards and such. Looks great.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I finished with the top sail yards.

post-747-0-70303200-1369581310_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-31182300-1369581325_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-78131800-1369581339_thumb.jpg

I did use smaller eyebolds and rods for the jackstays. I will folllow the same procedure the remaining yards. THe higher I go the smaller the eyebolds adn rods for the jack stays.

Now on to the top gallant and royals. The smalller the yards become it is more time consuming to shape the yards.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I finished the topgallent and royal yardarms

post-747-0-57943800-1370197705_thumb.jpg

Here are all the yardarms.

post-747-0-23185500-1370197770_thumb.jpg

Now on to the spritsail yard, spanker boom and spanker gaff.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful (and I imagine painstaking) work, Geoff! I love the detail and finishing on the spars!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Outstanding work, neat and clean (I am so drawn to that and dying to do that kind of work on my own... but living through people like yourself for now =) ).

And the colors just pop.

The masts are coming along really nicely and look solid.

Love it.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Geoff, you are doing fantastic work on those spars. I like the way you added the studding spars. The fittings are perfect.

I am afraid I tend to go too quickly with mine and overlook the details. I just need to pay more attention to your work. Keep the pictures coming.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .