Constitution by Geoff Matson - Model Shipways 2040 - 1/76 scale

Here are some pictures of my thimbles on my mast slings. They are just on and waiting to get installed before I trim the whiskers and dog hairs that always seem to get caught. :(

post-747-0-42110800-1485456822_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-38981200-1485456835_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-09924100-1485456849_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-81073600-1485456866_thumb.jpg

The third picture shows the mast sling for the main and fore mast. The third sling is for the mizzen mast and a little smaller. I like using my Byrnes Ropewalk so I make different line sizes to show the difference in size

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Those little rigging details are looking nice Geoff! What have you used your Byrnes rope walk for and how often do you use it?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Elijah. I am making all the rigging line for my Constitution with the Byrnes Ropewalk. The scale is 1/87 and I can get much more realistic rope that way

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I do like an extremely detailed rigging job. This is one of them. Good work. Thumbs up.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Here is a picture of the foremast sling test fitted on the foremast Yard. The whiskers will be trimmed of and set with diluted white glue.

post-747-0-89644400-1485588845_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the upper foremast sling that will be attached to the mast. They two parts of the sling will be attached by a lashing to thimbles.

post-747-0-75807100-1485588869.jpg

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

These are my foremast yards all ready to put the rigging on. I have the sling temporarily on the lower yard and am working on the rest of the rigging. Lots of knots, serving, and seizing going on.

post-747-0-04361500-1485810777_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-89433900-1485810790.jpg

I want to install as much as I can before it must the yards to the masts. I have small pins in the yards to help hold them on the masts. These pins are just for alignment and will NOT BE GLUED. That way if my big hands get in the way and break something I won't have unglue them.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Nice work on the yards, Geoff. it looks like you have captured the present day color of those smaller yards very well.

Tom:

One of the guys I'm my model club turned me on to the color. He used Burnt Sienna oil paint. I bought a small tube at Hobby Lobby and it turned out be just what I was looking for. I just rubbed it on and let it dry. I can always touch it up if it needs it 

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I often wondered why some modelers just do Admiralty style models. Now I know. They don't have to RIG them. Maybe my next model will be admiralty style.  :)

I have been working on attaching the sling and jeer blocks on the foremast yard. All these procedures will be the same for the main mast yards. I leave some long tails on the rigging parts so I can adjust them into position. I have big hands and no fingernails so the tails really aid in adjusting the parts. The long tails are the reason I make my own line. I am not worried about waste, I can can always make more line. Once I have them in place I set the part with diluted white glue, let it dry and then trim the tails off.

Here are the results:

post-747-0-63282300-1486064607_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-73128700-1486064621_thumb.jpg

There are a lot of adjustments to getting the blocks just right.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I am a retired Horseshoer/Blacksmith and got tired of using my 100LB anvil to make and level my small metal parts.

I was at a flea market and picked up an old iron that they used before they had electricity for $5. I thought it would be a great mini anvil. It worked so well I finally made a small box to hold it out of some scrap wood. You can also use the iron as a weight to help glue flat pieces of wood together. 

post-747-0-60786500-1486425330_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-26763900-1486425343.jpg

post-747-0-42139100-1486425358.jpg

Now all I need is a smaller hammer!

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I have everything pre rigged on my foremast lower yard. I am sure glad I did this off the mast. There was a lot of fiddling and adjustments to be made and I know it would have been a real pain to do on the mast. 

post-747-0-97513100-1486763335_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-29029300-1486763349_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-12759300-1486763369_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-69714600-1486763384_thumb.jpg

Everything is a learning curve. I hope rigging the main mast yard will go a little easier. Now I have to make up some more  line so I will be making rope  for a while.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 2 weeks later...

For each size of line I use I make a 3x5 card for reference. Each card shows the single strand, three strand and nine strand.

3C814B64-D3AD-4D66-B1A7-9D2151F37ED7.thumb.jpg.52eca407a3e841c998a13340513992bd.jpg

I then use the ships rigging plan and scale conversion chart to match the size of line I need to the size of line I use

2759D497-B0DD-42C4-901C-F850E52CF708.thumb.jpg.2e6e5af545d5bda69459ae92538136ac.jpg

The scale conversion chart is a great key to have.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Harvey

Thanks for interest.

I really like the index cards and often refer to them during the build. They are also a great asset when you need to reference how you rigged a previous line. The niece thing about the rigging line chart is that it gives you the true perspective of what the actual line would look like. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I wasn't happy with the way my first attempt at rigging the foremast yard. I knew it would bother me too much, so I decided to redo it.

Here are my results. I am very happy the way the foot ropes turned out. Overall, things just look better.

EB76A288-5920-4114-9A0D-912798AB4886.JPG

D6EDDFF8-CF2C-4B13-9C2C-C53BC7E04307.JPG

1AD6BBD1-46C4-476F-A2D3-6F701E913B06.JPG

EDEAE131-9205-46C2-8EF0-67194163C3D2.JPG

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I make my own line and can twist it pretty tight. So far no problems with it stretching. When I am ready to use the line I give the piece of line a few tugs to help set it a little.

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Submarineman, A little off topic, but I was Mineman in the Navy 67-71. 

Now back on topic. I have have found the best sources for thread to be Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabric, Handcock Fabric, and the internet. The best thing to do is shop around and then make some test runs with your ropewalk to see if you are getting the desired result needed. Then when decide on a model, make a scale chart, (see previous post), so you can see the relationship of real size line to your scale size line. You will not need many sizes. Anything from 1/2 inch to about three inch will do fine. A hand crank serving machine will help out a lot, see xken Constitution build for his serving machine. Ken is a great builder and I wish I had his talents, and also a third hand to hold things. I try to rig as much off the model as I can trying to keep the rigging under control. Hope this helps and I am looking forward to your build. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Thanks Geoff,

(Off topic) I to was on sweepers based in Hong Kong - Wasperton and Monkton back in 79, before changing tac and joining submarines in 81 til 2005.

back on subject area!  I had the Constructo Victory given as a present by she who must be obeyed (CINCNAG HOME), but due to house move, renevations and work I have only just started to set it all out.  During that time I have been collating all the tools and equipment to make the job easier, conducting research and collecting a library of books.  But the rigging element excites me and as you alluded to make up a full range of required rigging - it will be trial and error but I will get there - I do love the idea of the rigging card.

another area my mind is focussed is the Victory Gallery at the stern - considering hand carving the whole thing, especially the finial decorations - don't like the brass etchings supplied by Constructo.  Have been admiring from a distance the various build logs: yours and Paul0367 too.

onwards and upwards, thanks for your sound advice, it will be taken onboard.  All the best

• 2 weeks later...

I finished working on the pre rigging of my foremast yards.

The royal yard

6AEE7A1C-C4A9-42D4-BEBD-19E95B79C185.JPG

The top gallant yard

4FCA90CD-C12F-4CF3-A35D-A43B63E078E6.JPG

The topsail yard

331E0023-30FB-43C0-81D1-B053D3CFC175.JPG

The main yard

0443C6BE-D8CA-44B0-9731-4F7FDECABE34.jpg

All four foremast yards

9C0B98C1-6A6D-4272-B938-9C85601ACFCF.JPG

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Great looking yards, Geoff. Can I ask how you made the jackstays? They look like small eyebolts with a brass rod through them? Did you solder the rod in place? Thanks

Tom

I did just that. Small eye bolts with a thin brass rod through them. The one draw back to the jackstays is when you rig the yard you have to pass the  line under the back stays. It makes it a little harder but I like the results. Your Conny is looking great. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job Geoff.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Geoff, You are doing a fantastic job on all the rigging details. Don't think for a second I am not going to lean on this heavily once I start making the rigging for my Eagle.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli